Speculation: Dater: Avs and Panarin have mutual interest

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
There's certainly games where I've seen him play both right wing and take draws and play down the middle. I've seen at least five or six of those, so it's fair to see he's played only 4 or 5 games where his only position was center. He took just over 100 faceoffs this year, that's not possible in four or five games.

Taking faceoffs has nothing to do with playing center.

Reactions: Hornstar

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
What’s the mutual interest? Panarin wants to get overpayed by a ton and the Avs are willing to do it?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
What’s the mutual interest? Panarin wants to get overpayed by a ton and the Avs are willing to do it?

Well, we will have the cap space.

That and we do appear to be on the upswing, adding Cale Makar and whoever the Sens pick is this summer to an already pretty solid group of youngsters. Like the Oilers a couple years back, we could finally be worth a long look from coveted UFA’s. I just hope we don’t end up with a Lucic.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think Colorado is better served with some mid-range UFA signings for depth rather than going after a big fish. They have some elite skill players, but their quality of depth in the forward core and on defense has been lacking IMO.

Definitely not. The Avs actually have a lot of solid depth options.. the problem is those depth pieces are being asked to play higher roles because we dont have a true 2nd line.

Soderberg, Compher, Calvert, Jost, Nieto.... these guys are all great players to have in your bottom 6 but the problem is they're having to play higher up in the lineup due to our lack of a 2nd line.

You get Panarin and Hughes this summer for example and all of a sudden you have a really deep, strong team.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Definitely not. The Avs actually have a lot of solid depth options.. the problem is those depth pieces are being asked to play higher roles because we dont have a true 2nd line.

Soderberg, Compher, Calvert, Jost, Nieto.... these guys are all great players to have in your bottom 6 but the problem is they're having to play higher up in the lineup due to our lack of a 2nd line.

You get Panarin and Hughes this summer for example and all of a sudden you have a really deep, strong team.

It seems to me that the draft does have an impact on this. If the Avs get a top-2 pick it likely influences their approach to a large degree.

Signing Panarin to a $10+ million AAV deal has a potential negative impact when you factor in that Rantanen likely will ask for something similar and Barrie is right around the corner (if you believe that Barrie should be re-signed). The Avs have the cap space to make a big signing now, but it does have consequences in terms of how the roster is constructed going forward and who is exposed in the upcoming ED.

Everyone likes the big, flashy UFA signings, and sometimes they work out well. It just depends. For the Avs, such a move likely pushes them in to a win now mode, which may be appropriate, I don't know.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It seems to me that the draft does have an impact on this. If the Avs get a top-2 pick it likely influences their approach to a large degree.

Signing Panarin to a $10+ million AAV deal has a potential negative impact when you factor in that Rantanen likely will ask for something similar and Barrie is right around the corner (if you believe that Barrie should be re-signed). The Avs have the cap space to make a big signing now, but it does have consequences in terms of how the roster is constructed going forward and who is exposed in the upcoming ED.

Everyone likes the big, flashy UFA signings, and sometimes they work out well. It just depends. For the Avs, such a move likely pushes them in to a win now mode, which may be appropriate, I don't know.

Expansion draft is something to worry about when the time comes, but no matter how we slice it we're going to lose a good player this time around.

We can afford to add upwards of 12-14M this season fairly easily IMO.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I also believe the AVs will be looking at mid-tier adds. Hayes and/or Ferland are the likely targets. AVs draft Hughes/Kakko/Cozens could determine the type of player interest.

Reactions: Meeqs

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Expansion draft is something to worry about when the time comes, but no matter how we slice it we're going to lose a good player this time around.

We can afford to add upwards of 12-14M this season fairly easily IMO.

$12-14M AAV is rich for my blood, but it may be realistic as to what it will take. It is not my money, so ultimately I have no real issue with it.

On another note, if the Avs miss out on the top-2 picks and draft Podkolzin, perhaps it makes it an attractive environment for him to come over sooner rather than later.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
$12-14M AAV is rich for my blood, but it may be realistic as to what it will take. It is not my money, so ultimately I have no real issue with it.

On another note, if the Avs miss out on the top-2 picks and draft Podkolzin, perhaps it makes it an attractive environment for him to come over sooner rather than later.

I didn't mean 12-14M for just Panarin, I meant we have 12-14M to spend on Free Agents comfortably. So whether that's 10 for Panarin and 4 on a middle 6 guy, or 8 for Skinner and 6 for Hayes, or something like that.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
I think we should probably wait for Toronto to actually win something before we start using them as an example of how to build our team.
This would be a good response but we are no where close to spending that much money. We always spend the least amount of money and it shows with how our team places in the standings. How many teams have won while having one of the smallest budgets?

Penguins won twice in a row while playing 4 players 6.8m+. We're currently paying nobody that much.

We're in our golden years right now. Mackinnon making 6m is our window to compete, it's time we spend.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Hypothetically Detroit takes Byram or Turcotte. The Avs pick Podkolzin and retain Varly. We can now offer a Russian paradise of a team to Panarin. All a long shot and not guaranteeing anything. But just a bit fun to throw around.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I can’t imagine Panarin wanting to come to Colorado tbh. Maybe if we had won the #1 pick and he thought he was coming to play on a line with Jack Hughes and be part of a dynasty. We don’t even have a 2C for next year.

Plus it’s Dater.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
This would be a good response but we are no where close to spending that much money. We always spend the least amount of money and it shows with how our team places in the standings. How many teams have won while having one of the smallest budgets?

Penguins won twice in a row while playing 4 players 6.8m+. We're currently paying nobody that much.

We're in our golden years right now. Mackinnon making 6m is our window to compete, it's time we spend.

And yet, despite being "no where close to spending that much money", we've made the playoffs in 2 consecutive years for the first time in over a decade. I'm not sure I buy your premise that spending more leads to success.

We also currently have 5 guys on ELC contracts playing on the NHL roster, which artificially deflates our total cap hit. As guys like Rantanen, Compher, Zadorov, Girard, Jost, etc. get new contracts, we'll be up against the cap much sooner than you think.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
And yet, despite being "no where close to spending that much money", we've made the playoffs in 2 consecutive years for the first time in over a decade. I'm not sure I buy your premise that spending more leads to success.

We also currently have 5 guys on ELC contracts playing on the NHL roster, which artificially deflates our total cap hit. As guys like Rantanen, Compher, Zadorov, Girard, Jost, etc. get new contracts, we'll be up against the cap much sooner than you think.

So just because we squeaked in the playoffs two years in a row we should stop spending money and rely on our own talent? We do have people who are going to get a raise but we also have people coming off the books as well such as guys like varly, soderberg, Brassard, Nemeth, Barrie, etc.

Teams that spend more have a better chance at winning the cup. When's the last time a bottom spending team won the cup?

Our highest paid player is making 6.3m currently. I think we can afford to add top end talent..

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
So just because we squeaked in the playoffs two years in a row we should stop spending money and rely on our own talent? We do have people who are going to get a raise but we also have people coming off the books as well such as guys like varly, soderberg, Brassard, Nemeth, Barrie, etc.

Teams that spend more have a better chance at winning the cup. When's the last time a bottom spending team won the cup?

Our highest paid player is making 6.3m currently. I think we can afford to add top end talent..

Why would we deviate from the plan of rebuilding the team through our prospect pool just two years after tearing the team down and becoming the youngest team in the NHL? Is making the playoffs twice in 2 years somehow not indicative that this plan might actually work, if we actually follow through with it? Why are you so eager to return to the Pierre LaCroix method of overpaying UFAs?

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Why would we deviate from the plan of rebuilding the team through our prospect pool just two years after tearing the team down and becoming the youngest team in the NHL? Is making the playoffs twice in 2 years somehow not indicative that this plan might actually work, if we actually follow through with it? Why are you so eager to return to the Pierre LaCroix method of overpaying UFAs?
I said to keep our picks, Panarin is only 27 years old, he's not a dinosaur like Iginla was. Yes it is, which is why I want to keep our picks. Who said anything overpaying for UFA's? Adding ONE UFA when we have Mackinnon on such a good deal should be something we look to do . Just has to be piece that fits. Not sure if Panarin is that piece, but to say we can't afford him is absurd. We've been a bottom feeder for years when it comes to spending. We have just as much money coming off the books in within the next 2 years as we do being added. We're fine for cap space.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I said to keep our picks, Panarin is only 27 years old, he's not a dinosaur like Iginla was. Yes it is, which is why I want to keep our picks. Who said anything overpaying for UFA's? Adding ONE UFA when we have Mackinnon on such a good deal should be something we look to do . Just has to be piece that fits. Not sure if Panarin is that piece, but to say we can't afford him is absurd. We've been a bottom feeder for years when it comes to spending. We have just as much money coming off the books in within the next 2 years as we do being added. We're fine for cap space.

I agree with you that it has to be a piece that fits, I just don't see any younger pieces out there that obviously fits better on our 2nd line than the guys we already have in the pipeline. I'm also expecting everyone who is an obvious upgrade to be getting big offers from teams that want them for their top line, putting them out of the price range we should be realistically be shopping in. Mark Stone just signed a $9.5m AAV extension with Vegas. What will Panarin and Skinner get as UFAs? I'd be surprised if there aren't 7 year deals for $9m+ on the table. So the question isn't whether we can afford them, it's whether that's the best use of our cap space. I don't think it is, and would rather keep some of that long term cap space available. If we could get someone on a shorter term contract (Pavelski for 2-3 years?), I think that makes more sense in the long term.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I just don't believe Panarin has any interest.

He might be using the AVs to drive up his asking price. He previously admitted to big cities or sunny beaches. There is little to no hope.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
I agree with you that it has to be a piece that fits, I just don't see any younger pieces out there that obviously fits better on our 2nd line than the guys we already have in the pipeline. I'm also expecting everyone who is an obvious upgrade to be getting big offers from teams that want them for their top line, putting them out of the price range we should be realistically be shopping in. Mark Stone just signed a $9.5m AAV extension with Vegas. What will Panarin and Skinner get as UFAs? I'd be surprised if there aren't 7 year deals for $9m+ on the table. So the question isn't whether we can afford them, it's whether that's the best use of our cap space. I don't think it is, and would rather keep some of that long term cap space available. If we could get someone on a shorter term contract (Pavelski for 2-3 years?), I think that makes more sense in the long term.

I thought you didn't want to get older? 35 year Pavelski on this young Avs team? No thanks. Didn't work with Iginla why would it work with him? I'm not saying Panarin is the best answer (he wouldn't be my choice to go after), but saying we can't "afford" him is nonsense. We're a bottom feeder with the salary cap and have more money going out than coming in next year.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I thought you didn't want to get older? 35 year Pavelski on this young Avs team? No thanks. Didn't work with Iginla why would it work with him? I'm not saying Panarin is the best answer (he wouldn't be my choice to go after), but saying we can't "afford" him is nonsense. We're a bottom feeder with the salary cap and have more money going out than coming in next year.

It's more that I don't want to paint ourselves into a corner because we gave a 7 year, big money contract to a guy who will be in his mid 30s before it expires. If we could get Panarin/Skinner on a 3-4 year deal, it would make more sense, but that's probably not the kind of contract those guys are going to get.

And, maybe Pavelski isn't perfect, but who else is really out there past the top two? Brock Nelson? Jordan Eberle?

Also, just because you can afford something, doesn't mean it's the best use of that money. I can afford to go buy a really good steak at a restaurant, but I can also go to the butcher, buy the cut of meat I want and cook myself a nice steak. And, I won't be paying nearly as much, for essentially the same result. And with my savings, I can buy myself another steak.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't personally agree with that. The Avs are in such a great spot atm their goal should be to make a roster that can compete for 7+ years and not just 3. There is a lot of luck that comes with trying to win the cup that you want as many shots as you can.

With the NHL having garunteed contracts, "worrying about it later" isn't an option. You need the ability to plan ahead an manage risk appropriately.

The best teams are built through the draft and not UFA. So while I'd be fine with getting a big name player, getting 2 would likely be a risk the Avs don't really need to take. (All of this depending on term and AAV of course, they could sign 5 people as long as the term was less than 3 years.)

...there's a salary cap...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad