Speculation: Dater: Avs and Panarin have mutual interest

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh wow I had no idea, thanks for pointing that out. What is it? How does it work? Will there be math involved :sarcasm:

It's kinda complicated but it basically boils down to this: 7+ year cup windows are not a thing that actually happens.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It's kinda complicated but it basically boils down to this: 7+ year cup windows are not a thing that actually happens.

Weird, you should tell that to WSH, Pit, SJ, Chi, TBL, Ana and Bos.

Like its not possible if you are stupid, but otherwise with good drafting its entirely doable because that's the amount of time your core is in their prime.

Lock up Nate, Gabe, Mikko, a legit 2c, Makar, Girard, a 3rd Dman and a long term starting G and over their primes and there you go. Then maximize your depth by good D&D to supplement the teams depth and there you go. Easier said than done, but many teams do it.

Not really complicated, but everything is complicated when you don't know what youre talking about ;)

Reactions: avsfan09

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Oh really?

Seems like someone forgot to tell that to the Pens, Caps, Sharks, Hawks and arguably a bunch of others over the last decade or so...

Strange...

Panarin to the Avs is a complete pipedream that will never happen..
One of the dumbest Dater hottakes recently. Sure the Avs will have interest. 20 teams will.
But they have basically no chance of getting him.

IMO he is very likely to go to Florida. And even if he doesn't, I highly doubt that the Avs would even be top5 on his list.
I mean seriously why would he come here? Might as well stay in Columbus instead...
Avs are not the type of city/location he seems to desire and have regularly one of the worst travel schedules (very underrated aspect around here IMO ) in the league and realistically are as much in the spotlight as Columbus...
Might as well take the 8 year deal in CBJ instead...

Last edited:
Reactions: avsfan09 and Meeqs

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Weird, you should tell that to WSH, Pit, SJ, Chi, TBL, Ana and Bos.

Like its not possible if you are stupid, but otherwise with good drafting its entirely doable because that's the amount of time your core is in their prime.

Lock up Nate, Gabe, Mikko, a legit 2c, Makar, Girard, a 3rd Dman and a long term starting G and over their primes and there you go. Then maximize your depth by good D&D to supplement the teams depth and there you go. Easier said than done, but many teams do it.

Not really complicated, but everything is complicated when you don't know what youre talking about ;)

...not one of those teams had a 7+ year cup window...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You're that guy at the meeting who has no idea what is going on but just has a need to say something so you just blurt out words aren't you.

Nah, I'm the guy in a meeting who sits there quietly and only speaks up when someone is pontificating about something without realizing that there is a fundamental error or misunderstanding in their thesis that undermines everything that they are trying to say ;-)

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Nah, I'm the guy in a meeting who sits there quietly and only speaks up when someone is pontificating about something without realizing that there is a fundamental error or misunderstanding in their thesis that undermines everything that they are trying to say ;-)

Oooo bringing out the big words that aren't needed or add anything to the conversation. I definitely hit that nail on the head.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oooo bringing out the big words that aren't needed or add anything to the conversation. I definitely hit that nail on the head.

Big words? Really? If you can't spot the mistake that you made in your work, you don't need to be so defensive; just ask for help & try to pay attention this time. There's plenty of avs fans who would be happy to explain to you how the salary cap works in the NHL and why your fantasies about cup windows that span the better part of a decade are implausible...yet again...

But hey, Joe seems to be a proponent of your plan to emulate the Jets & way that they have squandered their cup window. So we may get to see your dreams play out...unfortunately...

Last edited:

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Oh really?

Seems like someone forgot to tell that to the Pens, Caps, Sharks, Hawks and arguably a bunch of others over the last decade or so...

Strange...

Panarin to the Avs is a complete pipedream that will never happen..
One of the dumbest Dater hottakes recently. Sure the Avs will have interest. 20 teams will.
But they have basically no chance of getting him.

IMO he is very likely to go to Florida. And even if he doesn't, I highly doubt that the Avs would even be top5 on his list.
I mean seriously why would he come here? Might as well stay in Columbus instead...
Avs are not the type of city/location he seems to desire and have regularly one of the worst travel schedules (very underrated aspect around here IMO ) in the league and realistically are as much in the spotlight as Columbus...
Might as well take the 8 year deal in CBJ instead...

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Pittsburgh has made the playoffs for 12 consecutive seasons and won 3 Cups. Please, explain the fundamental error in calling that a 7+ year Cup window. Did they not have 12 consecutive chances at plausibly winning a Cup? Or do only the years they actually won fit your narrow definition of a "cup window"?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Pittsburgh has made the playoffs for 12 consecutive seasons and won 3 Cups. Please, explain the fundamental error in calling that a 7+ year Cup window. Did they not have 12 consecutive chances at plausibly winning a Cup? Or do only the years they actually won fit your narrow definition of a "cup window"?

You kinda need to ignore that ~4-5 year gap in the middle of that run where they lost in the 1st or 2nd round and didn't have any shot at beating the Hawks or Kings, to make that argument :dunno:

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
You kinda need to ignore that ~4-5 year gap in the middle of that run where they lost in the 1st or 2nd round and didn't have any shot at beating the Hawks or Kings, to make that argument :dunno:

They still had an infinitely better chance at winning the Cup during each one of those years than the half of the league that didn't make the playoffs. And, just because a few other teams were better in given years doesn't mean that Pittsburgh wasn't still a contender, unless you use such a narrow definition that only the teams that make the conference/Cup finals are actually in their "cup window".

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They still had an infinitely better chance at winning the Cup during each one of those years than the half of the league that didn't make the playoffs. And, just because a few other teams were better in given years doesn't mean that Pittsburgh wasn't still a contender, unless you use such a narrow definition that only the teams that make the conference/Cup finals are actually in their "cup window".

So there are 16 cup contenders a year? I don't think that considering only the teams with an actual shot of winning the cup, to be cup contenders is some abnormally narrow definition of the phrase :dunno:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
So there are 16 cup contenders a year? I don't think that considering only the teams with an actual shot of winning the cup, to be cup contenders is some abnormally narrow definition of the phrase :dunno:

Were the 2012 Kings not a Cup contender, because they didn't have "an actual shot" at winning the Cup, given that no 8th seed had ever won it before? Or do they get to be considered Cup contenders for that year based on the fact that they won? What about the Montreal team that Roy carried to a Cup? Legit Cup contenders, or pretenders who won?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Were the 2012 Kings not a Cup contender, because they didn't have "an actual shot" at winning the Cup, given that no 8th seed had ever won it before? Or do they get to be considered Cup contenders for that year based on the fact that they won? What about the Montreal team that Roy carried to a Cup? Legit Cup contenders, or pretenders who won?

I dunno, where they capable of beating the top teams that stood between them & a title?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I dunno, where they capable of beating the top teams that stood between them & a title?

Obviously, given that they won, but 14 of 16 NHL "experts" at the time predicted the Kings to lose in the first round to Vancouver and zero had the Kings in the Cup finals, let alone winning it.

NHL.com predicts 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs

So, if the experts can get it so horribly wrong, who exactly is qualified to determine which of the 16 playoff teams has a "real chance" at winning? I don't think anyone can make that determination correctly 100% of the time, therefore, every playoff team is contending for the Cup. Just because you don't have the best chances to win, doesn't mean you don't still have a chance, right?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Obviously, given that they won, but 14 of 16 NHL "experts" at the time predicted the Kings to lose in the first round to Vancouver and zero had the Kings in the Cup finals, let alone winning it.

NHL.com predicts 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs

So, if the experts can get it so horribly wrong, who exactly is qualified to determine which of the 16 playoff teams has a "real chance" at winning? I don't think anyone can make that determination correctly 100% of the time, therefore, every playoff team is contending for the Cup. Just because you don't have the best chances to win, doesn't mean you don't still have a chance, right?

Who cares about what the "experts" said when we have the results? We don't need to predict anything for this exercise, just to look back at what happened. And what happened was a half-decade long retool in between Pittsburgh's two separate cup windows :dunno:

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
No, that would be you.

Not one of the teams you listed has had a cup window of 7+ years...
Pittsburgh hasnt? Won win 2009,2016 and 2017. Lost last year in the 2nd round but to the eventual cup champs. I think it's very possible. You need to maintain cap flexibility though. High salary complimentary pieces can be moved if you draft and develop throughout your window.

It's harder to do yes. But I'd rather try than just say it can't be done lets get ourselves in a mess.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
No... not all playoff teams have a cup chance. But ones with core pieces like Malkin and Crosby always do. The Avs are a perfect example of a team thats not a contender unless you mean for a round

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Who cares about what the "experts" said when we have the results? We don't need to predict anything for this exercise, just to look back at what happened. And what happened was a half-decade long retool in between Pittsburgh's two separate cup windows :dunno:
You do realize that luck plays a huge part in the game. Just because it doesn't go a teams way doesn't mean they didnt have a chance. What makes a team have a chance imo is a roster with high end talent and the key positions filled with those guys. Ie #1D/C/W/G.

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad