Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Klefbom was better than Nurse imho at least. When healthy Klefbom was substantially better defensively than Nurse was.
Defensively better but Klefbom was a pretty horrible skater.

The thing about Klef was he was always regarded as #2/3, He was exactly what we always thought he was. And for 4M we can't really complain.

Nurse on the other hand got overrated by our fan base and now we are paying the price for it. 9.25M for a #2 at best. Now he just look comfortable paying at the level of a #4
Not around these parts. You have posters pumping him like he's a legit 1D all because of minutes or whatever. I've shit on the guy but only because people keep claiming he's that. But I've also given him credit that for 4M, at what he brings/does, it's good value.

Nurse has and always was overrated af here. Good skater but none of what made him successful in juniors [mean and nasty, offensive touch] ever translated. He's basically Nuge but defenceman

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Dubas has always had and wanted Nurse since his days in the Soo.

Would he bite on a Nurse for Nylander offer?
Even if he does, you’re asking Dubas to take on an additional 2.5M per year in cap hit when has little room and has some significant contract issues pending himself. He does have a lot of UFA and RFA so he could fit it in but he’d be changing the makeup f the supporting core, which is already an issue with Nylander chewing up $7M.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Even if he does, you’re asking Dubas to take on an additional 2.5M per year in cap hit when has little room and has some significant contract issues pending himself. He does have a lot of UFA and RFA so he could fit it in but he’d be changing the makeup f the supporting core, which is already an issue with Nylander chewing up $7M.
That difference can be made up in retention or contracts

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Dubas has always had and wanted Nurse since his days in the Soo.

Would he bite on a Nurse for Nylander offer?
Nurse for Nylander would be a robbery for the Oilers

the cap savings would be enough to keep Kane imo and would give the Oilers the best top 6 in the NHL by a country mile

pipe dream tho. no one is touching Nurse and his contract

Reactions: Macheteops

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Nurse has been horribad, and I’ve given him a lot of criticism (not just recently but over the years), but he’s also played at a high level. I think once he’s healed up and has an offseason to work with coaching, he’ll have a better season next season. (Any trade talk is pure fantasy.)

Hopefully, in the meantime, he can play a solid enough game to give the team a chance to win. He is supposed to be the leader of the d corps and has not been up to the task of late.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Speculation out there that Nurse injury could be worse than Drais's injury. May require off season surgery.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Was listening to Frank Seravalli on the Fan960 last night and he said Nurse is very likely to head straight into offseason surgery on a pretty bad core injury as soon as the season is done.

He said there is a reason the guy has no hits and is getting turnstiled (in kinder words from him) on a regular basis. He has no core strength right now.

The frustrating thing is the Oilers are likely better when he's out of the lineup. If he's unhealthy, scratch him or play him 10 mins. Cult of hockey said he was the cause for 7 grade A shots against in 18~ mins of ice time in game 1. Like that is...... atrocious.

With his injury, I think Oiler fans need to give the guy a pass for his poor play in the playoffs.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Was listening to Frank Seravalli on the Fan960 last night and he said Nurse is very likely to head straight into offseason surgery on a pretty bad core injury as soon as the season is done.

He said there is a reason the guy has no hits and is getting turnstiled (in kinder words from him) on a regular basis. He has no core strength right now.

The frustrating thing is the Oilers are likely better when he's out of the lineup. If he's unhealthy, scratch him or play him 10 mins. Cult of hockey said he was the cause for 7 grade A shots against in 18~ mins of ice time in game 1. Like that is...... atrocious.

With his injury, I think Oiler fans need to give the guy a pass for his poor play in the playoffs.
If injured badly his poor play is on the coach.
7 11 for sure if hecis dressed at all.

Reactions: McBigYak

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
If injured badly his poor play is on the coach.
7 11 for sure if hecis dressed at all.

I found that game he was suspended, the Oilers were completely fine without him. When he's healthy, his absence is a massive hole in the lineup. Right now? Probably a net positive to have him out to be honest.

Nothing against Nurse honestly. I was bitter with him prior to listening to the Seravalli interview. But I think what's best for the team is if he plays very, very limited minutes or no minutes at all.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Discretion is the better part of Valor.
If he can keep his head above water, good, but playing a highly aggressive forechecking team.. this will be his toughest assignment considering he is also recovering at the same time.

Really depends on game 2, and you don't want a player to have their playoffs cut short but I rather have a player closer to 80%-90 healthy than 60%-70%.
Nurse is a force, but he is also needs to be healthy to show that.
Obviously, team doctors have a say and I am sure he would keep playing even if he was at 50%. But I don't question his toughness or battle level.
It's just putting the best team on the ice right now.
And if you have healthy bodies to slot in and coach believes in our depth.
Put the healthy players in.

Obviously, Nurse knows his health best. So he has to make that judgement on himself if he should be playing or recovering.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yeah, people need to get off him for the poor play, honestly is a SHELL of what he was before getting injured, its a pretty big deal.

That being said, he probably shouldn't be playing at all. He is causing more problems than he is preventing. He is a negative factor right now, so the coaching staff should be pulling him out of the lineup IMO. Again, not Nurse's fault at all, but it is what it is.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nurse's contract is an overpay, obviously (and blame Holland for that) and he's been brutal in the playoffs, obviously (with injury playing a big part), but some of the comments in this thread are disgraceful. What an ugly, toxic fanbase this can be when the team hits a rough patch. Maple Leafs west basically.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
This thread has become a gathering ground for Nurse-bashing based off of an overpay at the time that, given the current progression in term and price of high-end players in the league, will probably be fair market value in 2-3yrs with the way things are moving contract wise for players.

He's playing visibly hurt. Not sure it's fair to critique him to the extent many are right now on that alone.

Our defense without Nurse is scary terrible. And we aren't getting some UFA anywhere near his potential and effectiveness when he's healthy/playing well for his contract or less.

Losing Nurse would be a massive loss and hole for this team. Whether you think he's overpaid or not.

Reactions: Niten Ichi Ryu

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If the reports on Nurse are true, he should be sidelined. A serious core injury that requires surgery and means he cannot hit makes him compeltely ineffective.

No one questions his toughness and willingness to gut it out, but he can’t play or hit then he needs to be in the press box.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Nurse's contract is an overpay, obviously (and blame Holland for that) and he's been brutal in the playoffs, obviously (with injury playing a big part), but some of the comments in this thread are disgraceful. What an ugly, toxic fanbase this can be when the team hits a rough patch. Maple Leafs west basically.
Leafs don't have a nasty contract like Nurse on their team. It'll get worst once his 9.25M kicks in and we lose players because of it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad