Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
At worst it's about a 2m overpay which is hardly criminal. Kosk eating 4.5m, Kassian at 3.2 are way more egregious.
You don’t deserve 7mill for how Nurse plays defensively. He is a 5.5 mill defender at best that got a massive overpay cause he had a crazy lucky shooting percentage last year and can physically play a ton of minutes

Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

Field Marshal Phibun

Feb 17, 2021
Revisionist history at its finest

He’s always been a 30 point Defenseman who has been mediocre in his own zone. You want to pay that guy 9.25m?

What part of his game has evolved?

Its not about just tonight either. He was putrid Tonight, but he’s been putrid all season and for a guy who’s ask was the moon, he needs to step the f*** up.
27 years young and still developing into a top pair Dman in win now mode. Or so they say.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
You don’t deserve 7mill for how Nurse plays defensively. He is a 5.5 mill defender at best that got a massive overpay cause he had a crazy lucky shooting percentage last year and can physically play a ton of minutes

If GMKH used anything beyond the NHL Guide and Record Book, he would know that Nurse's production that year was incredibly unsustainable.

Too bad.

Reactions: McDNicks17

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
At worst it's about a 2m overpay which is hardly criminal. Kosk eating 4.5m, Kassian at 3.2 are way more egregious.
I was on the side that it was a $2M overpay. Then he got suspended and we played much better. Then last night happened. Yes these are small sample sizes, but that's what the playoffs is, he needs to figure it out real quick. He wasn't treading water against anyone last night, which is real abysmal when you're playing 40% of a game.

Outings like this worry me that it's going to go from a 1.5-2m overpay to a 3-4m overpay really quick, at which point we're dead in the water. Koskinen not coming back doesn't really mean anything because his salary just transfers to Nurse, so it's a net zero change. Kassian needs to sit for a game, that penalty after we score was atrocious.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is a contract that absolutely sewers a team. To pay him amongst the likes of actual Norris trophy candidates is just stupid.

If it's an overpay from the get go just imagine how bad it's going to look when it's a few years in and he's past his prime.

Reactions: McDavidKindaFast

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I was on the side that it was a $2M overpay. Then he got suspended and we played much better. Then last night happened. Yes these are small sample sizes, but that's what the playoffs is, he needs to figure it out real quick. He wasn't treading water against anyone last night, which is real abysmal when you're playing 40% of a game.

Outings like this worry me that it's going to go from a 1.5-2m overpay to a 3-4m overpay really quick, at which point we're dead in the water. Koskinen not coming back doesn't really mean anything because his salary just transfers to Nurse, so it's a net zero change. Kassian needs to sit for a game, that penalty after we score was atrocious.
he is definitely playing injured though. I don't think we can judge him fairly on his play right now.

if there is exaggeration on his injury though, it's definitely concerning. He has been really bad. He isn't playing good defense. He didn't even have a single hit last game. He's been a negative in these playoffs.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I have zero doubt he’s really injured. His DNA is he is physical, especially in high intensity games.
He hasn’t been physical in a loooong time.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There is no way that you get Nurse even with his warts on a long term deal for $5.5M. After two to three years into his deal you are very likely to see a big jump in the cap. If there was no escrow debt this year's revenue numbers would take the cap to just a shade under $90M.

For all of his flaws Nurse is a top pairing defenseman. In today's world a new long term contract for a top pairing defenseman will start at $7.5M on the very low end. Spurgeon is 5 years older than Nurse and he signed 7 years at $7.575M in 2019. That's an absolute low end number for a comparable bit if you look at the value of that deal starting next year it is closer to $8M which is pretty close to what I think his value might be.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
There is no way that you get Nurse even with his warts on a long term deal for $5.5M. After two to three years into his deal you are very likely to see a big jump in the cap. If there was no escrow debt this year's revenue numbers would take the cap to just a shade under $90M.

For all of his flaws Nurse is a top pairing defenseman. In today's world a new long term contract for a top pairing defenseman will start at $7.5M on the very low end. Spurgeon is 5 years older than Nurse and he signed 7 years at $7.575M in 2019. That's an absolute low end number for a comparable bit if you look at the value of that deal starting next year it is closer to $8M which is pretty close to what I think his value might be.
There's a very distinct difference between being a top pairing defenseman and being a top pairing defenseman on the Oilers.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Spurgeon was substantially better than Nurse when he signed. People see high minutes and a single season of high goals and think elite. Nurse is an athletic beast and little else. There are at least 30 defenders that are better than Nurse is. Look at all the top pairing defenders in the league, which teams does he actually push someone down? And how many of those aren’t bottom feeders?

Looking at all the playoff teams they all have at least one, some have more better than Nurse.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

I’m curious as to what makes him a top pairing defenseman other than the fact that he can log big minutes?

He can’t pass, he can’t shoot, and recently he certainly can’t defend

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
optimistically, Nurse is a 6.25M d-man. 6.5M if we really push it.

Parayko is superior to him in every aspect of hockey and was signed long term by the blues for 6.5M AAV

the blues have Faulk, Krug, and Parayko all signed at 6.5M and all 3 are better than Nurse

3M overpayment sucks because that could've been used for Kane or goaltending.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Spurgeon was substantially better than Nurse when he signed. People see high minutes and a single season of high goals and think elite. Nurse is an athletic beast and little else. There are at least 30 defenders that are better than Nurse is. Look at all the top pairing defenders in the league, which teams does he actually push someone down? And how many of those aren’t bottom feeders?

Looking at all the playoff teams they all have at least one, some have more better than Nurse.
Based on what? Like many things on this board what happened in the last day colors the discussion. Last year Nurse was 7th in Norris voting. This year he is still in the top 30 defensemen in the league despite inconsistencies.

And by the way there are 64 top pairing slots to fill in the NHL. The cost of defensemen was reset last year. Going forward $5.5M is not going to get you anywhere near a guy like Darnell Nurse. I didn't like the deal at the time it was signed but at least be realistic.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Based on what? Like many things on this board what happened in the last day colors the discussion. Last year Nurse was 7th in Norris voting. This year he is still in the top 30 defensemen in the league despite inconsistencies.

And by the way there are 64 top pairing slots to fill in the NHL. The cost of defensemen was reset last year. Going forward $5.5M is not going to get you anywhere near a guy like Darnell Nurse. I didn't like the deal at the time it was signed but at least be realistic.
Show me 1 playoff team where Nurse is their best defender? Even one. Nurse is arguably the worst if not one of the worst #1 defenders in the league. He is worth no where near what he got. Sure I am overreacting and he isn’t worth 5.5 but 6.5-7 at absolute most for his level of play.

Yeah he was 7th in Norris voting in an absolutely terrible division. Lots of stats were inflated in our division that year.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021

Spurgeon has always been one of the best defensive players in the league. His chance suppression numbers are elite.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
optimistically, Nurse is a 6.25M d-man. 6.5M if we really push it.

Parayko is superior to him in every aspect of hockey and was signed long term by the blues for 6.5M AAV

the blues have Faulk, Krug, and Parayko all signed at 6.5M and all 3 are better than Nurse

3M overpayment sucks because that could've been used for Kane or goaltending.
The Nurse>>Parayko at the time of extension really didn't age well lol

Reactions: CycloneSweep

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I’m curious as to what makes him a top pairing defenseman other than the fact that he can log big minutes?

He can’t pass, he can’t shoot, and recently he certainly can’t defend

It's pretty much this. 1D on Oilers is completely different tier compared to 1D on other teams. It's no different than all the Klefbom tire pumpers in the past. They log big minutes but pretty much mediocre at most things.

Oilers just seem to have a low bar when it comes to 1D. Both Nurse and Klefbom are/were 2D at best

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's pretty much this. 1D on Oilers is completely different tier compared to 1D on other teams. It's no different than all the Klefbom tire pumpers in the past. They log big minutes but pretty much mediocre at most things.

Oilers just seem to have a low bar when it comes to 1D. Both Nurse and Klefbom are/were 2D at best
Klefbom was better than Nurse imho at least. When healthy Klefbom was substantially better defensively than Nurse was.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

The thing about Klef was he was always regarded as #2/3, He was exactly what we always thought he was. And for 4M we can't really complain.

Nurse on the other hand got overrated by our fan base and now we are paying the price for it. 9.25M for a #2 at best. Now he just look comfortable paying at the level of a #4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad