Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Seeing some Nylander trade scenarios. I roamed around the leafs forums during the 1st round, and 'trade Nylander' was a common theme. In game 2, he was so bad, it actually hurt to watch the lack of effort/passion he was playing with. It won't be long until the pitch forks come out for Willy here, whilst we watch Nurse blossom, in Toronto of all places

Holland isn't going to trade the team's #1 defenseman, at 27 years old, who he just signed to an 8 year extension. Especially if he is indeed playing injured.

Once July hits, his new contract features an unconditional NMC. He isn't going anywhere, and thank god for that. He was one of the best defenseman in the league last year, 7th in Norris trophy voting. He is capable of being a top 10 well rounded NHL defenseman, and no doubt he'll do it again. Personally, I want no part of William Nylander

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
If the injury is bad enough that it’s going to require surgery, then shut him down now. Explains his poor play. Sucks that the Oilers have two of their best players playing injured when other teams are fairly healthy still or injuries aren’t as high up (aside from Tampa, no one else comes to mind)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Leafs don't have a nasty contract like Nurse on their team. It'll get worst once his 9.25M kicks in and we lose players because of it
No shit, his contract is a big overpay, never said otherwise. I'm more referencing the "loser", "beyond useless", "wouldn't crack the top 6 of other teams", "the Oilers are better of without him" etc. comments.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
If the injury is bad enough that it’s going to require surgery, then shut him down now. Explains his poor play. Sucks that the Oilers have two of their best players playing injured when other teams are fairly healthy still or injuries aren’t as high up (aside from Tampa, no one else comes to mind)
Every team has injuries, and the good ones play through them and win. Can’t use that as an argument.

Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
No shit, his contract is a big overpay, never said otherwise. I'm more referencing the "loser", "beyond useless", "wouldn't crack the top 6 of other teams", "the Oilers are better of without him" etc. comments.
lol I never said he's useless but I'm sure you meant it towards other posters.

If you ask me if I rather have Nurse at 9.25M or let him go. I'd take the latter easily. That contract is going to hurt big time. Whoever said "the Oilers are better off of without him" could in fact be right and it could be as soon as next year lol

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Every team has injuries, and the good ones play through them and win. Can’t use that as an argument.

Never really got this argument. It is a legitimate excuse, depth is king in hockey. The Kings might have actually won the last series with Doughty. On the same token, Nurse and Drai playing healthy, the Oilers might have won that series sooner.

In any case, he should be sitting as he's a liability right now. Run 7D

Kulak - Ceci
Keith - Bouchard
Broberg - Barrie
Nemo

Reactions: Canovin

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
This thread has become a gathering ground for Nurse-bashing based off of an overpay at the time that, given the current progression in term and price of high-end players in the league, will probably be fair market value in 2-3yrs with the way things are moving contract wise for players.

He's playing visibly hurt. Not sure it's fair to critique him to the extent many are right now on that alone.

Our defense without Nurse is scary terrible. And we aren't getting some UFA anywhere near his potential and effectiveness when he's healthy/playing well for his contract or less.

Losing Nurse would be a massive loss and hole for this team. Whether you think he's overpaid or not.

Give it 2-3 years and the contract will look fine. Kind of like Drai. When Drai signed everyone complained. Now, his contract is a great value.

If Nurse can focus on what he does well and not try to be a player who he is not, then he could live up to that contract. He just needs to be a top line physical shut down d man. Leave the offense to those better at it. Problem is the guy signs that big deal and now thinks he should be putting up lots of points, which has never been his strong point.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Nurse will look a lot better when he can actually play, IMO. I regret the heat I put on him. Can’t be an effective defender with a core injury that bad. He needs to be sitting.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Take out Nurse, Pulju and Foegele and add Tavares and the Oilers are a better team. Tavares is overpaid but he's not a passenger

You're insane if you think we have a better roster after removing our #1 dman, 2nd Line RW, and 3rd line LW for ANOTHER C making the combined salary of the 3 leaving.

This might be one of the worst takes yet. Congrats.

Give it 2-3 years and the contract will look fine. Kind of like Drai. When Drai signed everyone complained. Now, his contract is a great value.

If Nurse can focus on what he does well and not try to be a player who he is not, then he could live up to that contract. He just needs to be a top line physical shut down d man. Leave the offense to those better at it. Problem is the guy signs that big deal and now thinks he should be putting up lots of points, which has never been his strong point.

Completely agree. Judging a player by his inability to play effectively through a significant injury in the playoffs as justification for his contract seems like a pretty childish endeavour.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Nurse will look a lot better when he can actually play, IMO. I regret the heat I put on him. Can’t be an effective defender with a core injury that bad. He needs to be sitting.
Yes that's what I dont get about this thread. They base the value of the contract based on his play in the playoffs, where it is well known he is injured. The contract is long term. The injury is short term

Another example of emotional and irrational l venting imo

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Seeing some Nylander trade scenarios. I roamed around the leafs forums during the 1st round, and 'trade Nylander' was a common theme. In game 2, he was so bad, it actually hurt to watch the lack of effort/passion he was playing with. It won't be long until the pitch forks come out for Willy here, whilst we watch Nurse blossom, in Toronto of all places

Holland isn't going to trade the team's #1 defenseman, at 27 years old, who he just signed to an 8 year extension. Especially if he is indeed playing injured.

Once July hits, his new contract features an unconditional NMC. He isn't going anywhere, and thank god for that. He was one of the best defenseman in the league last year, 7th in Norris trophy voting. He is capable of being a top 10 well rounded NHL defenseman, and no doubt he'll do it again. Personally, I want no part of William Nylander
Why would we trade Nurse for an expensive forward? We would trade Nurse to clear cap to build an actual defence.

He’s been only okay all season though, even before the injury. You trade Nurse cause he is no where close to an elite defender and we are paying him like he is. Is contract is a liability and if he is your #1 d, you probably have a bad defence

Reactions: Mr Positive

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Guess Leafs should dump Reilly, Preds Josi, Wild Spurgeon, Flames Anderson etc etc
1653089348116.png

The counter is good for us too though. Kulak and Bouchard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad