Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
We don't have to worry about his next contract because it's very unlikely he stays. Walking Nurse to UFA status will go down as one of the stupidest moves a GM will ever make. At best we are praying we can just over pay him now... At best. Holland has dropped the soap on this one and I don't understand how more are not concerned. A lot of faith in a guy without a recent track record of success in this regard.

I really don't understand what you mean lol but Nurse wants to stay here and I'll make a bet with anyone about this. Darnell Nurse will resign and he will be an Oiler for a very long time

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I guess I was wrong about Nurse, was done with him at the end of last year but at only 26 I think he is a legit pillar on the blue line to build around for next 4-7 years

I'm surprised you were done with him last year. His pairing with Bear was the best and he had 33 points last year with no PP time.

Reactions: MessierII

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I really don't understand what you mean lol but Nurse wants to stay here and I'll make a bet with anyone about this. Darnell Nurse will resign and he will be an Oiler for a very long time
This is a near certainty. I can't recall a player who left their team in these circumstances. Also, the NHL wisely included an advantage to the re-signer in that we can sign Nurse a year in advance, as well as offer that 8th year (both important to financial security)

We are a good team. He's staying. As for the cap hit, it will be high, but your #1 Dman is not the guy to be hard-core about with the cap hit. Be stricter with Nuge, Yamamoto, Bear, or even Barrie. If you really wanted to boil down our core to as small a list as possible, it would be McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nurse.

And please add a goalie to that core.

Last edited:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
This is a near certainty. I can't recall a player who left their team in these circumstances. Also, the NHL wisely included an advantage to the re-signer in that we can sign Nurse a year in advance, as well as offer that 8th year (both important to financial security)

We are a good team. He's staying. As for the cap hit, it will be high, but your #1 Dman is not the guy to be hard-core about with the cap hit. Be stricter with Nuge, Yamamoto, Bear, or even Barrie. If you really wanted to boil down our core to as small a list as possible, it would be McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nurse.

And please add a goalie to that core.
Not much to disagree with here. Nurse is getting the full 8 years. Our stars seem really committed on and off the ice. I can't see them ever wanting to be split up.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If his season keeps building and ends with a decent playoff run and next season starts even better expect his next deal to begin with a 9.

Zamknij kurwa ryj

Feb 22, 2021
Because by gaining UFA status he has the freedom to go where ever he wants. Getting whatever pay he wants.

It's not even about liking Edmonton/the team. The grass always looks greener on the other side and having 31 other fantastic opportunities is too good to pass up. Generally speaking a UFA at least explores his options and no matter how good things are here you do what you think is best for you and your family in terms of career.

That's without going into stuff like a losing culture, cold weather, and an incredibly poorly run organization...

As a gambling man I'd put a decent amount of money he is gonzo. Unfortunately the odds makers wouldn't give me much on such a bet.

It's all being swept under the rug but imo Holland can't do anything for next year's team until he sorts out Nurse. It's the first and most important thing he has to do and he has negative leverage to do so. I personally wouldn't sign Nuge until I knew what I could get Nurse done for.

@GOilers88 see above. I think hockey players are like anyone else and will go where they feel they will get the most out of their careers. I'm racking my brain trying to think of the last UFA status star to resign with Edmonton and coming up empty.
Well we'll see. I hope you're proven wrong as losing Nurse would be a massive and unforgivable mistake from this organization.

We've seen way too many players leave due to various circumstances and after finally drafting and developing a potential longterm #1 guy giving that up is something that would set this franchise back big time.

Reactions: Aerchon

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Also as of today Nurse is #1 in D even strength scoring (would likely be #1 overall if he had more PP time, as he's actually good in that role too), #1 in plus minus among potential Norris candidates, and right up there in TOI.

He should be in the top tier of Norris candidates this year.
Nurse is playing like a true #1 but he's not winning the Norris this year.
If his season keeps building and ends with a decent playoff run and next season starts even better expect his next deal to begin with a 9.
Nurse is playing fantastic but he's not making 9 million dollars per year on his next contract.

We will see who is right and who is wrong on both accounts soon enough.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Nurse is playing fantastic but he's not making 9 million dollars per year on his next contract.

I pick Hedman for the Norris still. I just want Nurse to be in the top 3. I think he's earned it.

Part of it is that I believe these awards mean more if they have continuity. Hedman has been elite for a long time, and had an amazing playoff run. Even if Nurse beats him statistically I think Hedman should win unless Nurse beats him badly, which he won't

I'd even say that maybe Nurse doesn't sustain his lead in these categories. Just pointing out how great he's been :)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That guy hasn't assessed anyone accurately since I've been on this forum.

Terrible eye.
Come now, there's no need to pick on him. Nurse is better today than he was then.

But ultimately, he was a smart bet, if for no other reason than we just haven't had a Hedman/Ekblad/Dahlin to draft.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I pick Hedman for the Norris still. I just want Nurse to be in the top 3. I think he's earned it.

Part of it is that I believe these awards mean more if they have continuity. Hedman has been elite for a long time, and had an amazing playoff run. Even if Nurse beats him statistically I think Hedman should win unless Nurse beats him badly, which he won't

I'd even say that maybe Nurse doesn't sustain his lead in these categories. Just pointing out how great he's been :)
Hedman is another level of player. Victor Hedman should be discussed in the same context as Chris Pronger in his prime. He mastered the position. He could go to any club in the league and he would transform that team for the better instantly and he will be that player for a long time.

There are other players as well but the list of defencemen clearly better than Nurse is shrinking. No need to undervalue Nurse as a player but there is no need to overvalue him as a player either. Just be thankful we have him, he is a homegrown success hitting it out of the park, and he's playing the best hockey of his career.

Reactions: Dieseloil

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Agreed. He's learned and gotten better every season but people on here, or Oiler fans in general, just were blind to it. I saw him progressing during his 26 points season. Ever since then, he's gotten better

He quite obviously works extremely hard on his game.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

It is just an opinion so it doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong nor do I care, but I would not be surprised if that is the ask from his agent, which doesn't mean Holland will pay that, but given we have bridged him twice their ask will be justifiably high.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It is just an opinion so it doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong nor do I care, but I would not be surprised if that is the ask from his agent, which doesn't mean Holland will pay that, but given we have bridged him twice their ask will be justifiably high.

IMO he was rewarded pretty handsomely on his latest bridge. Hopefully he considers that when looking at a longer term deal. Even he must know that he has taken his game to another level. He gambled on himself and it should pay off huge.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Still want to trade him? @RaabHart

I dunno haven't watched much this year. Will depend on his ask. The big thing for me is I didn't want to pay Nurse as a #1 long term, because I don't think he's good enough to be the best d-man on a cup winning team. Id have to watch a few more games to see if thats changed.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That guy hasn't assessed anyone accurately since I've been on this forum.

Terrible eye.

lol, yea all of: Couturier, Reilly, Sam Reinhart, Mcdavid, Sergachev, Q. Hughes, Broberg, and Guhle all suck. FTR I liked the Holloway pick when many others didn't.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
I was wrong with him as well. Depending on how he plays next season, I'd be more than willing to give him a long-term deal.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I am eating BIG TIME crow. I was calling for his head left and right after the play ins.

If he was not good, he would be stumbling playing #1. He has turned into a very good player and is going to get paid...An absolute workhorse.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
IMO he was rewarded pretty handsomely on his latest bridge. Hopefully he considers that when looking at a longer term deal. Even he must know that he has taken his game to another level. He gambled on himself and it should pay off huge.

I guess it comes down to comparables and that he would be a UFA, what would the open market pay him, and how badly is cash tied up when he becomes a UFA.

Pietrangelo and his 8.8 in a tax free state comes to mind, and that is where I think his agent will want to be given his agent was using Trouba as a comp earlier and his game has easily surpassed Trouba's. That is where I am getting 9 from.

Either way I believe they will get a deal done with him one way or the other before he becomes a UFA, Nurse wants to win here with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I guess it comes down to comparables and that he would be a UFA, what would the open market pay him, and how badly is cash tied up when he becomes a UFA.

Pietrangelo and his 8.8 in a tax free state comes to mind, and that is where I think his agent will want to be given his agent was using Trouba as a comp earlier and his game has easily surpassed Trouba's. That is where I am getting 9 from.

Either way I believe they will get a deal done with him one way or the other before he becomes a UFA, Nurse wants to win here with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Hopefully his deal comes in at $8 million or less.

Reactions: booyakasha

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Well we'll see. I hope you're proven wrong as losing Nurse would be a massive and unforgivable mistake from this organization.

We've seen way too many players leave due to various circumstances and after finally drafting and developing a potential longterm #1 guy giving that up is something that would set this franchise back big time.

For clarity I will repeat.

When was the last time the Oilers signed elite level player, which is what Nurse is currently playing at, with UFA status?

I'm too lazy to go look but I'm coming up empty for ANY UFAs of note resigning with the Oilers...

Is what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad