Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
And why do people keep calling it a 20 game sample size? It's not. Nurse - Bear was the tandem and they were not very good outside 1 game.

Well that is simply not true. Nurse has looked good the entire season. Some people just don't want to admit it. Guy has been getting better every year and always been a solid player for the Oilers every one of them.

Not sure what some people expect of the player but the guy has done what has been asked of him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well that is simply not true. Nurse has looked good the entire season. Some people just don't want to admit it. Guy has been getting better every year and always been a solid player for the Oilers every one of them.

Not sure what some people expect of the player but the guy has done what has been asked of him.
The problem Nurse had early on was some pretty bad mistakes, now if he makes one real blunder in a game and some people just can't let it go. Fact is you watch any team as much as you watch the Oilers and you'll see other high end players make mistakes too. It's what they do after those mistakes that you have to watch for. Does that one mistake ruin a guys game and result in more? Or does the player rebound from that and tighten up?

Nurse has also spent a lot of time working on some of the smaller parts of the game. Oates showing him how to be more effective to gain a half a second in the corners is probably something that you can't really quantify, but if he didn't work on that would he be the guy he was that got his current contract?

I also think people should listen to a guy like Struds break things down. Far too often d-men get picked apart for bad plays, but there are so many little things that a d-man can do that are quite impactful that just never get the kudos

With that being said there will always be some that will never like a guy no matter what they do.

jeblers

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
How long have we been waiting for someone on the backend to eat minutes and take pressure off the other dmen who seemed to always have to play over the heads. It just provides some stability in a season that could have easily gone the other way with all the injuries. I always thought Nurse does better when he has a bigger role, playing more minutes but he is exceeding expectations. Mentally he looks focused on his job, nothing is getting under his skin.

On top of all that the d-core have been taking pressure off the whole "Oilers have no depth scoring" with our D actually chipping in on the scoresheet. Shots from the blueline actually feel like scoring opportunities this year. There is still room for improvement too as they get more experience but it definitely is a good core to build on.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
How long have we been waiting for someone on the backend to eat minutes and take pressure off the other dmen who seemed to always have to play over the heads. It just provides some stability in a season that could have easily gone the other way with all the injuries. I always thought Nurse does better when he has a bigger role, playing more minutes but he is exceeding expectations. Mentally he looks focused on his job, nothing is getting under his skin.

On top of all that the d-core have been taking pressure off the whole "Oilers have no depth scoring" with our D actually chipping in on the scoresheet. Shots from the blueline actually feel like scoring opportunities this year. There is still room for improvement too as they get more experience but it definitely is a good core to build on.

Hard agree. I can only imagine how we would look right nownwith a healthy Klefbom... though not sure if we'd have Barrie if we did, so maybe not as big of a difference as I'm making it out to be.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Not enough love for Nurse!

:heart:

giphy (2) (11).gif

giphy (2) (12).gif

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
Wouldn't it be something if the Oilers finally find that #1 defenseman from within after all those years of looking? He's certainly looking like it right now. Looks like all that time watching game video and training this past offseason paid off in a huge way for the doctor.

Bear in mind he's the ripe old age of 26 years old. Still a couple more years until he's in his prime.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
The goal he scored last night... man that was just a smart play. Looked like he gave a bit of a change up midway through the downswing which caused the jets goalie to be down and set too early and simply put it top corner.

Maybe I'm wrong but sure looked to me like nurse outsmarted the goalie on that one moreso than just blasting it through.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Nurse has convinced me that he is worth keeping after this contract.

However, I’m still worried. I’m very wary of guys who take these massive steps in contract years. While this isn’t technically a contract year, I’d be waiting to sign him to see if he can replicate next year. Unless we can get somewhat of a deal.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nurse has convinced me that he is worth keeping after this contract.

However, I’m still worried. I’m very wary of guys who take these massive steps in contract years. While this isn’t technically a contract year, I’d be waiting to sign him to see if he can replicate next year. Unless we can get somewhat of a deal.
He’s been slowly improving since the day he entered the league. He’s taken a step up this year but he also isn’t saddled with rookie guys like Schultz and Benning. Tough to look like a top pairing Dman on every night when you’re paired with guys who are barely NHL quality for the first number of years of your career.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
My only real concern is one that you can apply to every player right now, and that's the fact we only play 6 different teams. It's hard to say whether the emergence is much helped by this, and may inflate a long-term deal moving forward that doesn't get lived up to. But if he finishes this year like he has, and carries it into next season I don't see any way you can not give him a phat raise.

Zamknij kurwa ryj

Feb 22, 2021
The most encouraging thing is Nurse seems to be continually improving on a weekly basis this season. When you're playing 25-30 mins a night in all situations you're going to make mistakes from time to time but he's limited those to the odd one or two a game.

I never expected the offensive jump in his game we're witnessing though. The way he's slowing things down in the offensive zone and reading the play is remarkable and his shot selection + placement is so damn good. Shooting for deflections when he needs to and picking corners when he wants to.

It's weird to say and this team would be that much better with him in the lineup (one would think) but it feels like Klefbom's injury is almost a blessing in disguise. It necessitates the re-signing of Barrie too. We've got something special with that pairing.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
My only real concern is one that you can apply to every player right now, and that's the fact we only play 6 different teams. It's hard to say whether the emergence is much helped by this, and may inflate a long-term deal moving forward that doesn't get lived up to. But if he finishes this year like he has, and carries it into next season I don't see any way you can not give him a phat raise.

We don't have to worry about his next contract because it's very unlikely he stays. Walking Nurse to UFA status will go down as one of the stupidest moves a GM will ever make. At best we are praying we can just over pay him now... At best. Holland has dropped the soap on this one and I don't understand how more are not concerned. A lot of faith in a guy without a recent track record of success in this regard.

Zamknij kurwa ryj

Feb 22, 2021
We don't have to worry about his next contract because it's very unlikely he stays. Walking Nurse to UFA status will go down as one of the stupidest moves a GM will ever make. At best we are praying we can just over pay him now... At best. Holland has dropped the soap on this one and I don't understand how more are not concerned. A lot of faith in a guy without a recent track record of success in this regard.
Why would Nurse leave when by all accounts he's very happy in Edmonton and tight with McDavid and Draisaitl?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
For me personally, the faith comes from the reports that both sides wanted to bridge and go long term this summer. If you don't believe that to be the case that's cool, I just think Nurse likes it here.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Why would Nurse leave when by all accounts he's very happy in Edmonton and tight with McDavid and Draisaitl?

Because by gaining UFA status he has the freedom to go where ever he wants. Getting whatever pay he wants.

It's not even about liking Edmonton/the team. The grass always looks greener on the other side and having 31 other fantastic opportunities is too good to pass up. Generally speaking a UFA at least explores his options and no matter how good things are here you do what you think is best for you and your family in terms of career.

That's without going into stuff like a losing culture, cold weather, and an incredibly poorly run organization...

As a gambling man I'd put a decent amount of money he is gonzo. Unfortunately the odds makers wouldn't give me much on such a bet.

It's all being swept under the rug but imo Holland can't do anything for next year's team until he sorts out Nurse. It's the first and most important thing he has to do and he has negative leverage to do so. I personally wouldn't sign Nuge until I knew what I could get Nurse done for.

@GOilers88 see above. I think hockey players are like anyone else and will go where they feel they will get the most out of their careers. I'm racking my brain trying to think of the last UFA status star to resign with Edmonton and coming up empty.

Last edited:

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I guess I was wrong about Nurse, was done with him at the end of last year but at only 26 I think he is a legit pillar on the blue line to build around for next 4-7 years

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I considered trading Darnell Nurse for a really good top line young winger at the beginning of the season. Looking back that would have been a huge mistake.

I'm not convinced Darnell is Norris worthy just yet but as of right now he is certainly is a number one defenceman.

He's big and nasty, playing over 25 minutes a night and he's blowing pucks by NHL goaltenders.

Narnell said he was going to work on his defensive game prior to the season commencing. He's + 21 and I'm not convinced he doesn't have another gear.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He’s been slowly improving since the day he entered the league. He’s taken a step up this year but he also isn’t saddled with rookie guys like Schultz and Benning. Tough to look like a top pairing Dman on every night when you’re paired with guys who are barely NHL quality for the first number of years of your career.

Agreed. He's learned and gotten better every season but people on here, or Oiler fans in general, just were blind to it. I saw him progressing during his 26 points season. Ever since then, he's gotten better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad