Value of: Darnell Nurse for Top 6 winger Pre-Expansion Draft

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Well I was replying to the poster who suggested the oilers going four and four in expansion. Seems like a shame to me

Again, if you had looked into the situation, you’d know that the Oilers may actually lack players to protect depending on how their seasons go:

Protection Locks: McDavid, Draisaitl, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Nurse, Bear, Koskinen. All should be obvious.

UFAs: RNH, Ennis, Barrie, Larsson, Chiasson, Smith- Oilers can make a handshake deal with RNH to sign him after the ED. The same applies to any of the others they may want to keep, and there’s nothing the Kraken can do about it.

Sure Take Them: Neal, Khaira, Russell, Archibald- Enough said, go for it Seattle.

Depends: Kassian, Klefbom, Turris, Benson, Jones- For various reasons. Kassian, because he has a longish contract for the kind of player he is and might start to slow down offensively as early as this upcoming year. Klefbom, because his shoulder may be broken beyond repair. Turris, since he’s the new kid in town and he could easily underwhelm in his role as overperform. Benson and Jones are the only two youngish players with any sort of upside we risk exposing. If either shows enough they get protected. Otherwise then it won’t matter if they are lost.

“Best” case for Edmonton, all of the Depends group guys play badly/aren’t worth hanging onto and are all left unprotected. That leaves six total skaters from the Lock group, meaning the Oilers could look for Schmidt-esque bargains on guys other teams are pressed to protect but don’t want to lose for nothing.

Worst case, RNH says sign me or lose me, so the Oilers go McD/Drai/RNH/Yamamoto/Puljujarvi/Turris/Kassian/Nurse/Klefbom/Bear and lose one of Jones or Benson. Either way, it’s not worth moving the team’s only healthy top-four veteran for middling pieces. Hope that helps, now please stop spamming the thread about it.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Robby Fabbri

Thats a good proposal value wise without taking in consideration team needs.

Detroit might have to add like a 5th but otherwise pretty even.

Theres lots to like about Fabs and he hasnt come close to reaching the finish product. more to come.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't really see Klefbom as worth protecting. He's not been the same player since his surgery 3 years ago now he maybe needs another one? Yeah that's not going to go anywhere good. Let Seattle take him and use the cap space instead.

Klefbom gets like 10x more PP time with McDavid and Draisaitl than Nurse does and barely has as many points as Nurse the last two years (0.5 ppg vs. 0.48 ppg). Nurse has a higher goals per game.

Klefbom has a far worse +/- rating the last two years as well. Why on earth would Klefbom get protected above Nurse.

Nurse is not without flaws, his outlet pass is not great, but his skating is top level and his zone exit numbers with the puck are on the high end for the NHL.

The NHL’s Top Puck Movers and Puck Transporters

Nurse is top 5 in the NHL for D-Men with controlled zone exits (Josi is a freaking beast at this), and also top 10 for zone carry outs for NHL D one spot above Cale Makar. 6th in the league D-Men pass outs of the zone.

You're trading this player for a middle of the road winger? Are you f***ing kidding me?

Last edited:

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
But drouin’s a top 6. Roughly equal pay and age . Can keep up to them and help them reach higher levels

He’s not though... he is soft and is at best a 2nd line winger. No interest in Drouin + Picks for Nurse.

The only way we trade Nurse for Drouin as a base is; (a) if Klefbom were healthy, and (b) you take James Neal (no retention) too.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Nurse has more points over the past 2 years than Drouin, as a physical D playing tough minutes.

He's untouchable right now with Klefbom's injury.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Thats a good proposal value wise without taking in consideration team needs.

Detroit might have to add like a 5th but otherwise pretty even.

Theres lots to like about Fabs and he hasnt come close to reaching the finish product. more to come.

No. Nurse is at the Boeser/Horvat value level.

I don't know why the OP wants to trade Nurse... I guess it's for ED purposes?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I mean the expansion draft makes a mess.

If Bruins go DeBrusk for Nurse straight up, its really DeBrusk + Gryz for Nurse with the expansion draft.

If is better for the Bruins to keep DeBrusk and Gryz and lose Lauzon/Zboril in expansion, or is it better for the Bruins to lose DeBrusk and Gryz but have Nurse and Lauzon/Zboril?

And then take into account Nurse needing a new contract.

Don't see how the Bruins get value with DeBrusk for Nurse even though Nurse > DeBrusk on an island.

no, its not really like that though. they would probably go 4-4 after the trade (a lot easier to find 2nd-3rdline wingers via UFA than top 4 dmen)

the bruins really gonna go into this year with Gryz LD1 and Moore LD2 because they are worried they might lose someone in a year?

Expecting Grys to play 22+ and then Moore/Vaakainen/Clifton to play 18 on the 2nd pair with the other two getting 15mins on the 3rd pair looks like a recipe for disaster. Boston should do the deal, go 4-4 and just eat losing a craig smith/kase type in a year

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
no, its not really like that though. they would probably go 4-4 after the trade (a lot easier to find 2nd-3rdline wingers via UFA than top 4 dmen)

the bruins really gonna go into this year with Gryz LD1 and Moore LD2 because they are worried they might lose someone in a year?

Expecting Grys to play 22+ and then Moore/Vaakainen/Clifton to play 18 on the 2nd pair with the other two getting 15mins on the 3rd pair looks like a recipe for disaster. Boston should do the deal, go 4-4 and just eat losing a craig smith/kase type in a year

Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, DeBrusk, Coyle. That’s 5.

Bruins much more likely to bring back Chara as insurance than bring in someone fine but not true top pairing.

What I always cracks me up is the cognitive dissonance around Chara from fans of other teams. He is both done and impossible for the Bruins to replace. Just cracks me up.

Lauzon, Zboril and Vaakaneinen are all NHL ready. Moore is obviously an NHLer. Gryz is ready for top 4. Are they rolling the dice on one of those three kids being ready for top 4 duty? Yes. But this is a team that had their 2nd pairing feature one of the most sheltered guys in the NHL.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
It's also smart management.

Ryan Nugent Hopkins and Larsson are expiring.
Nuge will definitely be extended (handshake deal to extend after the XP draft).

Or if Puljujaarvi shits the bed (I don't think he will).
Handshake deal . If he tears an mcl or an acl does he still get the same deal ?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Again, if you had looked into the situation, you’d know that the Oilers may actually lack players to protect depending on how their seasons go:

Protection Locks: McDavid, Draisaitl, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Nurse, Bear, Koskinen. All should be obvious.

UFAs: RNH, Ennis, Barrie, Larsson, Chiasson, Smith- Oilers can make a handshake deal with RNH to sign him after the ED. The same applies to any of the others they may want to keep, and there’s nothing the Kraken can do about it.

Sure Take Them: Neal, Khaira, Russell, Archibald- Enough said, go for it Seattle.

Depends: Kassian, Klefbom, Turris, Benson, Jones- For various reasons. Kassian, because he has a longish contract for the kind of player he is and might start to slow down offensively as early as this upcoming year. Klefbom, because his shoulder may be broken beyond repair. Turris, since he’s the new kid in town and he could easily underwhelm in his role as overperform. Benson and Jones are the only two youngish players with any sort of upside we risk exposing. If either shows enough they get protected. Otherwise then it won’t matter if they are lost.

“Best” case for Edmonton, all of the Depends group guys play badly/aren’t worth hanging onto and are all left unprotected. That leaves six total skaters from the Lock group, meaning the Oilers could look for Schmidt-esque bargains on guys other teams are pressed to protect but don’t want to lose for nothing.

Worst case, RNH says sign me or lose me, so the Oilers go McD/Drai/RNH/Yamamoto/Puljujarvi/Turris/Kassian/Nurse/Klefbom/Bear and lose one of Jones or Benson. Either way, it’s not worth moving the team’s only healthy top-four veteran for middling pieces. Hope that helps, now please stop spamming the thread about it.
Spammming the thread ? It’s what the thread is for and requested . You get a top 6 and two draft picks back .

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Handshake deal . If he tears an mcl or an acl does he still get the same deal ?
Of course. Just like if the NHL has to go through with no fans and revenue continues to be lost. I'm sure RNH will get that handshake deal, one day... Though the flip side is potentially waiting it out to see if revenue gets better. Risky no matter what I suppose.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
To answer your question it’s Edmonton. I thought they extended Russell to satisfy an expansion requirement. If they trade Nurse I guess they will extend Barrie?

I don’t know all the expansion draft rules are in exposing players.

I know, just like we say in 16/17 before Vegas draft there were not many Dman trades that involved high level ones who’d get protected.

There are two possible routes

1 plan on protecting just 3 and using UFA as a way to get others thruwith a lan on resigning thrm post ED

2. You have a clear top 3,thrn you have 2 Dmen very similar in role and contract. Expose both and see if Seattle takes one. I think thus is an approach n Pittsburgh with Patterson and Matheson.

3. Pay a ransom to protect players

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
No. Nurse is at the Boeser/Horvat value level.

I don't know why the OP wants to trade Nurse... I guess it's for ED purposes?

Shoot your shot i guess, but i doubt Nurse would be able to return a top line winger or a 1A/1B Centre.

Reactions: Groo

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Gee, with a nickname like that you think you might be a tad biased against the Oilers?

I guess its just me then that thinks Nurse isnt worth a top line winger or a top line Centre.

except this thread is filled with offers such as :

Fabrri
Debrusk
Drouin
JVR

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I guess its just me then that thinks Nurse isnt worth a top line winger or a top line Centre.

except this thread is filled with offers such as :

Fabrri
Debrusk
Drouin
JVR

Nurse wouldn't land a top line center. I think we can agree on that. 1C's are extremely hard to get. Fortunately the Oilers have McDavid and Draisaitl so that isn't a concern.

However if the idea is that Nurse can't land a first line winger I think you are dead wrong. I don't think Holland will deal Nurse in any event because of his value in the line up, especially with Klefbom out for an indefinite period. However if he did in the real world there would be good offers I think.

You obviously don't like the Oilers. You are obviously biased. Your nickname is evidence enough of that.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't think the Canucks would deal Horvat for Nurse either. Would they consider Boeser? I dunno man they might.
I’m a big time Canuck fan, and would trade BB for Nurse. I think Benning would too, but I don’t think the Oilers would. Top pairing, all situation, minute munching, skilled, and tough D are pretty valuable. BB is a really good player too, of course. I just value the top pair D more.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Nurse wouldn't land a top line center. I think we can agree on that. 1C's are extremely hard to get. Fortunately the Oilers have McDavid and Draisaitl so that isn't a concern.

However if the idea is that Nurse can't land a first line winger I think you are dead wrong. I don't think Holland will deal Nurse in any event because of his value in the line up, especially with Klefbom out for an indefinite period. However if he did in the real world there would be good offers I think.

You obviously don't like the Oilers. You are obviously biased. Your nickname is evidence enough of that.

Maybe it would help if you gave specific example of which top line winger you think a team would be willing to trade Nurse for.

You said Boeser, I can tell you with confidence that the Canucks wouldnt do that deal, they already have a hole in the top 6 with Tofolli leaving so no chance they move Boeser. Even so, they already have Hughes and Edler on the left side.
Boeser is also RFA controlled and Nurse is an Unrestricted Free Agent after 2022.

so which other top line winger do you think would be available for Nurse?

RE: bias

Yes Oilers are division rivals, and I've lived in Edmonton/went to Macewan University/ worked in Edmonton and have many Oiler friends and its always good ribbing that goes on.

You can call me biased all you want, but I've seen hundreds of Oiler games in person and on TV over the last few seasons. I would never say things like Mcdavid or Drai are terrible etc.

My opinion on Nurse is that he is a #4 Dman who has plenty of physical tools but lacks the thinking part of the game which really holds him back.

He had a lower zone exit passing than Benning and Russel. Just think about that for a second.

He is a fabulous skater but his decision making or lack or decision making gets the Oilers in trouble a lot of the times.

I think for a forward return, at value it would be a 4-9 forward.

but if you have a different opinion that fine, i wont be calling you biased for it

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad