Value of: Darnell Nurse for Top 6 winger Pre-Expansion Draft

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Stop, nobody is buying any of the stink that the Oiler fan base are trying to sell that Nurse is an offenive player.
He plays on a team that pretty much had 2 100pt players and probably the top 2 offensive players in the league.

He's not a puck mover, hes not a PP QB.

He should be like a Jay Bouwmeester with snarl but nop.

He's a tweener #4 on a good team.

Just stop man, everyone knows what Nurse is.

I'd take Klefbom, Bear over him and both those guys are mid level Dmen
Edmonton is average defensively as a whole (17th in the league in GA). If McDavid ad Draisaitl are so bad defensively, they have below average goaltending, how is their defense core consist of "mid level dmen" Klefbom and Bear and "#4 tweener Nurse"?

The reality is their defense core isn't that bad on the defensive side.

Reactions: zar

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Big prime aged physical defensemen who can skate and put up 40 points aren’t worth much in this market?

Most teams are at or very near the cap. Others are over.

Just saw Vancouver get a decent one for a 3rd.

But Vancouver was one of the few team that could take a Dman that they can protect without pushing out a very good Dman in the ED.

The ED is the problem in his valuation.

Teams will not give up a very good winger for a Dman they will expose in the draft or sacrifice a very good Dman.

With the cap issue, teams are going to mak cap neutral trades.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Stop, nobody is buying any of the stink that the Oiler fan base are trying to sell that Nurse is an offenive player.
He plays on a team that pretty much had 2 100pt players and probably the top 2 offensive players in the league.

He's not a puck mover, hes not a PP QB.

He should be like a Jay Bouwmeester with snarl but nop.

He's a tweener #4 on a good team.

Just stop man, everyone knows what Nurse is.

I'd take Klefbom, Bear over him and both those guys are mid level Dmen

Facts are facts.

Nurse and Hughes had the exact same number of even strength points — 28. Nurse doesn’t get PP time and is a far better PKer than Hughes.

But Gudbranson or something?

Nice thing about facts are they don’t require your belief in them to be true. Truth is truth.

Reactions: Darkwinter

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Most teams are at or very near the cap. Others are over.

Just saw Vancouver get a decent one for a 3rd.

But Vancouver was one of the few team that could take a Dman that they can protect without pushing out a very good Dman in the ED.

The ED is the problem in his valuation.

Teams will not give up a very good winger for a Dman they will expose in the draft or sacrifice a very good Dman.

With the cap issue, teams are going to mak cap neutral trades.
Yeah but the Oilers aren't trying to shed Nurse for cap space. On the unlikely chance he does get dealt there will be a similar amount of cap coming back. Likely in a hockey trade for a similar aged 60+ point top 6 line winger.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Ufa. Sign him after xp draft

But at that point are you risking Nuge hearing what Seattle has to say? Or worse, realizing that this is his one chance to play years of his prime elsewhere and at least listen? I know my Bruins would be very happy to give RNH a compelling offer with Krejci’s contract expiring at the same time.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
But at that point are you risking Nuge hearing what Seattle has to say? Or worse, realizing that this is his one chance to play years of his prime elsewhere and at least listen? I know my Bruins would be very happy to give RNH a compelling offer with Krejci’s contract expiring at the same time.

RNH will get signed by the Oilers.

Reactions: Darkwinter

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Wait. Why not protect 8 skaters?

McD - Drai - Yam - Puljujaarvi
Klef - Nurse - Bear - Jones

Seems like Seattle might want to pass on crap we expose.
That would be poor asset management. Take drouin for Nurse . We can tweak things with some prospects and draft picks .

Tatar danault Gallagher
Toffoli Suzuki Anderson
Lehkonen kk armia
Poehling Evans Byron

nurse Weber
Edmunson petry
Chariot Romanov

my god man that would be a pretty ferocious d group no ?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
And Edmonton would do that because?
Multiple benefits Gives you offensive assistance to your super two c . You need guys who can play and move at that level . You have to be able to do more at high speeds than just skate . Anthansiou can’t do that . Drouin can . Now you get to keep another forward to .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
That would be poor asset management. Take drouin for Nurse . We can tweak things with some prospects and draft picks .

Tatar danault Gallagher
Toffoli Suzuki Anderson
Lehkonen kk armia
Poehling Evans Byron

nurse Weber
Edmunson petry
Chariot Romanov

my god man that would be a pretty ferocious d group no ?
We can tweak this to . Will throw in a second . Which ever one is higher . Tampa’s or Montreal’s 2 nd next year , for your second the following year . That way your not out a second and a third in the next draft .

If your worried about defensive depth we could add kulak (solid 3pr) for a forward of your choice but equalizeish contract .

something along the lines of khaira, chaisson, or archibald. Whoever you wanna get rid of

you actually get to keep two more forwards. If your not happy with the existing choices your team has now , that additional spot could be filled with a future acquisition because teams will be selling those types before expansion and they’ll be on sale , so that team doesn’t lose them for nothing .

Last edited:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
So drouin , a 2021 2nd ,(Tampa’s or Montreal’s) , whichever is higher plus kulak if you want him for nurse, edmonton’s2022 2nd rounder and one of chaisson, archibald or khaira . Edmonton’s choice. If no interest in kulak than we forget about chaisson, archibald or khaira

this opens up two more forward spots instead of going 4-4

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
So drouin , a 2021 2nd ,(Tampa’s or Montreal’s) , whichever is higher plus kulak if you want him for nurse, edmonton’s2022 2nd rounder and one of chaisson, archibald or khaira . Edmonton’s choice. If no interest in kulak than we forget about chaisson, archibald or khaira

this opens up two more forward spots instead of going 4-4

The Oilers are in no position to move Nurse with Klefbom out, and especially not for Drouin and a bunch of secondary pieces. Easy pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: zar

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
The Oilers are in no position to move Nurse with Klefbom out, and especially not for Drouin and a bunch of secondary pieces.
But drouin’s a top 6. Roughly equal pay and age . Can keep up to them and help them reach higher levels

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Serious question.....what teams have roster space for him in protection?

You might look st team X and say they need a top 4 LD but if they acquire him it means thrm having to expose a different D which needs to be factored in to trade value. By doing that you aren’t going to get back a true top 6 forward in return.

Instead you’d get back a teams 8th F who is exposed that is very good but might be older, high cost, short contract so the team instead wants to protect the U26 F they have.

There might be teams who are looking at going 8 skaters who need a LD to round out their 4 Dmen. On those teams there likrly is a drop off from top F forwards where the rest are about equal and interchangeable so they won’t be hurt by who got picked.
To answer your question it’s Edmonton. I thought they extended Russell to satisfy an expansion requirement. If they trade Nurse I guess they will extend Barrie?

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
But drouin’s a top 6. Roughly equal pay and age . Can keep up to them and help them reach higher levels

Still no. The only thing I can see Holland trading Nurse for is a better defenseman, but since that doesn’t make sense for another team it’s not likely to happen.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Still no. The only thing I can see Holland trading Nurse for is a better defenseman, but since that doesn’t make sense for another team it’s not likely to happen.
Well I personally think a team is selling themselves short when they protect 8 players instead of ten . Lazy is the thought that comes up to mind . It is what the op was looking for no ?

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Well I personally think a team is selling themselves short when they protect 8 players instead of ten . Lazy is the thought that comes up to mind . It is what the op was looking for no ?

The Oilers have no need to worry about ED protection. You’d know that if you did your research. Not doing so seems... lazy.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
The Oilers have no need to worry about ED protection. You’d know that if you did your research. Not doing so seems... lazy.
Well I was replying to the poster who suggested the oilers going four and four in expansion. Seems like a shame to me

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Well I was replying to the poster who suggested the oilers going four and four in expansion. Seems like a shame to me
There's no one else worth protecting.

Like you think Seattle would take James Neal, or Zack Kassian??

Naw our depth is garbage or expiring. We have 3 forwards worth protecting... and a potential 4th if Puljujaarvi proves he's a gamer.

Nurse-Jones-Klef-Bear are worth protecting, and that's only if Klefbom ever plays again.

Oilers will protect 8 skaters for sure.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They won’t go 4 x 4 unless Klefbom comes back mid season and kills it while jones has been killing it the whole time he’s been gone. One of those things might happen but not both. Klef has shoulder arthritis from so many injuries going back to Sweden. If Seattle wants to take its chances with a guy who’s career may be done sooner rather than later they can.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Well I think klefbbom would be safe but by picking up two more forwards on sale from teams who don’t want to lose good players for nothing, will bring you two players closer to solving a depth problem .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
There's no one else worth protecting.

Like you think Seattle would take James Neal, or Zack Kassian??

Naw our depth is garbage or expiring. We have 3 forwards worth protecting... and a potential 4th if Puljujaarvi proves he's a gamer.

Nurse-Jones-Klef-Bear are worth protecting, and that's only if Klefbom ever plays again.

Oilers will protect 8 skaters for sure.
I find that to be unfortunate for the oilers but it is what it is I guess

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I find that to be unfortunate for the oilers but it is what it is I guess
It's also smart management.

Ryan Nugent Hopkins and Larsson are expiring.
Nuge will definitely be extended (handshake deal to extend after the XP draft).

Or if Puljujaarvi shits the bed (I don't think he will).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad