Value of: Darnell Nurse for Top 6 winger Pre-Expansion Draft

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Can the oilers afford to lose any defenseman? Next year they will be in the top 10% of offence and bottom 30% of defence as a team. Regardless, high scoring games are exciting so at least the fans will be happy.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Can the oilers afford to lose any defenseman? Next year they will be in the top 10% of offence and bottom 30% of defence as a team. Regardless, high scoring games are exciting so at least the fans will be happy.
Trading Darnell Nurse now would signal that the franchise has given up on putting together a competitive hockey team. Especially if he is traded for a f***in winger.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Trading Darnell Nurse now would signal that the franchise has given up on putting together a competitive hockey team. Especially if he is traded for a f***in winger.

Maybe they want to re-invent the wheel and be the Houston Rockets of the NHL. All offence, no defence.

Houston doesnt play with a Centre (tallest position on the court) they play small ball.

Maybe Oilers just want to go full petal to the metal and trade Nurse for a a winger and just try and win games 7-5 each night?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Maybe they want to re-invent the wheel and be the Houston Rockets of the NHL. All offence, no defence.

Houston doesnt play with a Centre (tallest position on the court) they play small ball.

Maybe Oilers just want to go full petal to the metal and trade Nurse for a a winger and just try and win games 7-5 each night?
Chiarelli? Is that you?

:laugh:

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I’m a big time Canuck fan, and would trade BB for Nurse. I think Benning would too, but I don’t think the Oilers would. Top pairing, all situation, minute munching, skilled, and tough D are pretty valuable. BB is a really good player too, of course. I just value the top pair D more.

So this is what the Canucks top 6 would look like it they traded Boeser for Nurse

Miller- Pettersson- Virtanen
Pearson- Horvat- Eriksson

I will give you that Nurse is tough and eats minutes but you also said skilled? what is he skilled with? Maybe we have a difffernt definition of skilled Dmen. When you say that I think of Dmen like , Hughes, Makar, Heiskanen, Doughty, Josi, or lesser extents like Dunn, Girrard.

Nurse is a good skater but I will disagree that he is skilled.

He had a passing zone exit percentage lower than Tyler Myers.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So this is what the Canucks top 6 would look like it they traded Boeser for Nurse

I will give you that Nurse is tough and eats minutes but you also said skilled? what is he skilled with? Maybe we have a difffernt definition of skilled Dmen. When you say that I think of Dmen like , Hughes, Makar, Heiskanen, Doughty, Josi, or lesser extents like Dunn, Girrard.

Good wingers are easier to find (replace) than top pairing D men.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Chiarelli likes defence

- he drafted Nurse
- he traded Hall for Larson

He just doesnt know how to quite asses it but he does like his Dmen
Chiarelli didn’t draft nurse. MacTavish did. Chiarelli was coming out of his 2nd cup final with Boston that year.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Boeser and Nurse's salary offset

Canucks have no cap room as of now.

How exactly do you propose they replace Boeser's top line role and with who.
They don’t this year. Getting Nurse though is a move for the next five years, when Petey and Hughes are more into their best years. Nurse replaces Edler’s minutes. You’re right about needing to replace Boeser’s minutes. I guess it’s about what role is easiest to fill.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
They don’t this year. Getting Nurse though is a move for the next five years, when Petey and Hughes are more into their best years. Nurse replaces Edler’s minutes. You’re right about needing to replace Boeser’s minutes. I guess it’s about what role is easiest to fill.

you'd also have to consider that Boeser is still RFA and we have control on that where as Nurse is a UFA in 2022

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

So they want to use the Toronto Maple Leafs model?

Reactions: DomBarr

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Don’t want Nurse anywhere near Vancouver’s blue line.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

If you look at controlled zone entries, Nurse is 6th in the league behind Josi, Chabot, Heiskanen, Pietrangelo, and Theodore. Not bad company.

And zone exit passing percentage is hardly a useful stat. Unless you think Justin Holl is a better puck transporter than those skilled defensemen that you mentioned, Hughes, Heiskanen, Makar, Doughty, and Josi.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I’m a big time Canuck fan, and would trade BB for Nurse. I think Benning would too, but I don’t think the Oilers would. Top pairing, all situation, minute munching, skilled, and tough D are pretty valuable. BB is a really good player too, of course. I just value the top pair D more.
Nurse isn’t a top pair defenceman, he’s more of a mid tier that can play up for sheltered minutes. His value is closer to Pearson/Toffoli level player.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Nurse isn’t a top pair defenceman, he’s more of a mid tier that can play up for sheltered minutes. His value is closer to Pearson/Toffoli level player.

Disagree. However, I don't expect fans from other teams to be reasonable about players on the Oilers. We've seen this over and over again. No, Nurse isn't a true #1. He is a 2nd pairing guy, playing heavy minutes. He is better seen as a #3. A Pearson/Toffoli level player? That's a joke and you know it.

You guys think if Nurse was a true #1 we'd be talking about players like Boeser?

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Disagree. However, I don't expect fans from other teams to be reasonable about players on the Oilers. We've seen this over and over again. No, Nurse isn't a true #1. He is a 2nd pairing guy, playing heavy minutes. He is better seen as a #3. A Pearson/Toffoli level player? That's a joke and you know it.

You guys think if Nurse was a true #1 we'd be talking about players like Boeser?

Why would it be a joke?

Tofolli is 28 and has 25-30 goal potential any given season

He is a top 6 winger.

Isnt this what this thread is asking for?

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Nurse will likely fetch a solid second line player. Toffoli and Pearson fit that bill. Oiler fans earlier wanted to move Larsson for Pearson

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Nurse has to be one of the most underrated players in the NHL right now.

Just because he likes to rush the puck up the ice doesn't mean he's dumb. I'm glad that we can keep our 6''4 physical 40 point 'middle-tier defensemen'.

Reactions: zar

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Toffoli hasn’t scored 25 since Trump was elected, and in fact hasn’t ever scored 30 outside that season. Good work as usual.

Guess you dont understand what "potential in any given season " means

TT has been on some bad LA Kings the last few years.

He can easily hit 30 goals with Mcdavid.

He had 6 goals in 10 games with Pettersson

Are you suggesting that TT is not a top 6 forward?

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
A certain poster named @Cloned doesn't represent the entire Oilers fanbase. ;)

But Nurse >>> Larsson

You must of missed the meeting where @Cloned was voted your HFOil representative.

Also Nurse is consistently among the highest in PIMS for the oilers, just because he racks up bonus Mcpoint assists doesn’t mean his value sky rockets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad