Value of: Darnell Nurse for Top 6 winger Pre-Expansion Draft

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Looking at the upcoming Expansion draft, if the Oilers wanted to go 7-3-1, are there any teams looking to secure a top 4 LD in exchange for a top 6 winger?

Obviously this contingent on a lot of things happening (Klefbom's shoulder is healed, Caleb Jones shows he's capable of top 4 minutes, Nuge re-signs, Puljujarvi/Benson showcase super skills requiring protection).

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Nurse is not the guy to trade right now. Even if Broberg continues his upward trajectory, I’m still not comfortable hinging the success of the Oilers D on a teenager and Klefbom.

Only way I’d move him is for an older top three defender signed a year or two longer, but that’s an odd fit unless a team out there is actively rebuilding and are okay with whatever the ask on his next contract will be knowing he‘d be part of their core long-term.

Reactions: Joseppi and zar

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Serious question.....what teams have roster space for him in protection?

You might look st team X and say they need a top 4 LD but if they acquire him it means thrm having to expose a different D which needs to be factored in to trade value. By doing that you aren’t going to get back a true top 6 forward in return.

Instead you’d get back a teams 8th F who is exposed that is very good but might be older, high cost, short contract so the team instead wants to protect the U26 F they have.

There might be teams who are looking at going 8 skaters who need a LD to round out their 4 Dmen. On those teams there likrly is a drop off from top F forwards where the rest are about equal and interchangeable so they won’t be hurt by who got picked.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
All the offers so far are exactly what I expected - trash

just keep him until Broberg takes the job in the top 4, then you can move on from one of Klef or Nurse.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Who's says anybody is offering them 1 for 1?

I mean the expansion draft makes a mess.

If Bruins go DeBrusk for Nurse straight up, its really DeBrusk + Gryz for Nurse with the expansion draft.

If is better for the Bruins to keep DeBrusk and Gryz and lose Lauzon/Zboril in expansion, or is it better for the Bruins to lose DeBrusk and Gryz but have Nurse and Lauzon/Zboril?

And then take into account Nurse needing a new contract.

Don't see how the Bruins get value with DeBrusk for Nurse even though Nurse > DeBrusk on an island.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->