Player Discussion Danton Heinen VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Really strong game from Heinen today. One bad turnover in the 2nd when he should have just chipped it in instead of trying to make a play.

Other than that he was very good, just couldn’t buy one. Gibson robbed him on the delayed penalty in the 1st after the 3rd line drew the call. He created a great chance on that self dump-in when Coyle fed Ritchie. On that one shift in the 3rd he had a shot go 5 hole but deflect wide, and also had the wrap around and fed McAvoy. My wife came in with groceries and I was helping put them away, but a few minutes later I thought I saw him steal a puck in the ANA zone and get a good chance?

If he keeps it up, the points will come.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I doubt it’s him not learning to do it and more Cassidy just not giving him a chance cause of bergy/Marchand and then getting minutes for the 4th liners

Yeah, I meant that I don't understand why coaches don't have more players on the team learn to kill penalties.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

It is honestly astounding to me that he isn’t on the penalty kill. This doesn’t just happen mysteriously over that large of a sample size.

it is pretty incredible that this organization (different coach, to be fair) tried to make Zac Rinaldo a PKer, but won't give Heinen a real shot.

Reactions: BMC and Estlin

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Really strong game from Heinen today. One bad turnover in the 2nd when he should have just chipped it in instead of trying to make a play.

Other than that he was very good, just couldn’t buy one. Gibson robbed him on the delayed penalty in the 1st after the 3rd line drew the call. He created a great chance on that self dump-in when Coyle fed Ritchie. On that one shift in the 3rd he had a shot go 5 hole but deflect wide, and also had the wrap around and fed McAvoy. My wife came in with groceries and I was helping put them away, but a few minutes later I thought I saw him steal a puck in the ANA zone and get a good chance?

If he keeps it up, the points will come.
full disclosure: didn't see the game today

I'm not a Heinen hater like some. I recognize that he checks a lot of important boxes in terms of quality of play. But man, I really need this guy to start producing. I think even just as an HF poster, I don't know if I can take another full season of this guy putting up monster advanced stats along with a "measly" 30 points. It would do a lot for this team and my sanity if he would put up some offensive numbers that match his other stats.

I still prefer him with Marchand & Bergeron (and then JDB/Krejci/Pasta) btw. If that line is going to keep matching up vs other top lines I'd rather it be a shutdown line & let Pasta feast on 2nd line competition. Yes I realize Pasta just scored 4 goals playing on line 1, but they won't all be that easy. Until they get a legit 2nd line RW this team should balance out the attack more.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
i member one of my more clueless hottakes 4-5 years ago when i said brad marchands style of play isnt suited for success on the PP. im not heinens biggest fan, but hes smart... he can keep up with the play... he works hard... seems penalty killer material to me

honestly im not sure why he doesnt get some chance at playing center too when we do get an injury to someone like krejci to finish up a game.

if Heinen could be a center with the same results he gets now as a winger... i think hed be a much more valuable player

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
i member one of my more clueless hottakes 4-5 years ago when i said brad marchands style of play isnt suited for success on the PP. im not heinens biggest fan, but hes smart... he can keep up with the play... he works hard... seems penalty killer material to me

honestly im not sure why he doesnt get some chance at playing center too when we do get an injury to someone like krejci to finish up a game.

if Heinen could be a center with the same results he gets now as a winger... i think hed be a much more valuable player
I stopped reading after the first 8 words

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
In an alternate universe, Heinen is kept as a center when he turned pro, solving the 3rd line C issues three years ago, and he's now a top PKer (Yes, I get those issues are gone now with Coyle here, but let a guy dream). Man, I would have loved to see that version. I don't know why they never gave him a shot at center. I assume it has to be faceoffs because, otherwise, his game is perfectly suited for it. Alas, things have still worked out, but what might have been?

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
In an alternate universe, Heinen is kept as a center when he turned pro, solving the 3rd line C issues three years ago, and he's now a top PKer (Yes, I get those issues are gone now with Coyle here, but let a guy dream). Man, I would have loved to see that version. I don't know why they never gave him a shot at center. I assume it has to be faceoffs because, otherwise, his game is perfectly suited for it. Alas, things have still worked out, but what might have been?
Where do you find the statistics that place Heinen at center at U. Of Denver? Not doubting you, but the few websites I looked at show him as LW and one as RW while playing for Denver. If he did play center I’m curious about the number of games.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Heinen has looked good to me...much like everyone else "not playing the first line" he hasn't been lighting it up. The chances are there and looks very confident playing. It will come.

I want to see him back on the first and Pasta dropped to the 2nd line. He had good chemistry with Berg/March.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
He has a lot of “almosts”, though. He worries me. He needs to bury that kind of wraparound chance. As it was happening, I kinda knew he wouldn’t. I like Heinen, but he makes it hard.

They correct way to describe him:

Elite complimentary player. Perfect for 37/63.

With Krejci hurting I would like to see Coyle
with Pastrnak/DeBrusk.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He has a lot of “almosts”, though. He worries me. He needs to bury that kind of wraparound chance. As it was happening, I kinda knew he wouldn’t. I like Heinen, but he makes it hard.

What? He was nearly standing still when he got the puck and then needed to do the wrap around on his backhand. I'd say 9 of 10 players in the NHL don't make that play.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Where do you find the statistics that place Heinen at center at U. Of Denver? Not doubting you, but the few websites I looked at show him as LW and one as RW while playing for Denver. If he did play center I’m curious about the number of games.

His freshman year Heinen played at Denver on a line with Trevor Moore (LW/C) and a big RW/C whose name is escaping me (believe it was Doremus). He was with Moore is sophomore year and Dylan Gambrell (C/RW) was added to that line. I have CBS sports and the Big 10 Network and got to see a good amount of Denver games both years (10-15 each season) incl playoffs.

Heinen was the primary center on both those lines, but Moore, Gambrell, and Doremus took faceoffs as well. They seemed fairly interchangeable, but Heinen took the majority of the left side draws. If you didn’t watch regularly, you may have seen him on the wing and thought that was his position.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
What? He was nearly standing still when he got the puck and then needed to do the wrap around on his backhand. I'd say 9 of 10 players in the NHL don't make that play.

When Heinen realized the wrap was not going to work, he set up McAvoy about 6 feet from the net and he missed.

As I have said before, if Heinen (and Coyle) keep playing like they are, the points will come.

Reactions: Spooner st

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
When Heinen realized the wrap was not going to work, he set up McAvoy about 6 feet from the net and he missed.

As I have said before, if Heinen (and Coyle) keep playing like they are, the points will come.

100% agree. Like I said I would love to see DeBrusk - Coyle - Heinen together if Krejci is going to miss a few games.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think he actually threw a hit yesteday too. I don't know if it made the stats, but I swear I saw it.

Reactions: TCB

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

did he play center in College? Didn`t know that if the answer is yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad