Player Discussion Danton Heinen VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I agree, just pointing it out because so many people point to that stuff for say Ritchie, but Danton's are bad....which to me doesn't matter because Heinen has clearly been one of our top forwards so far.
at least with Ritchie he's getting like 80% offensive zone starts so it's especially bad that he is a net negative possession player. Heinen's zone starts are closer to 50/50, but those numbers are still not impressive. I think overall the team was spending too much time defending outside of G1, period 1 and G3, periods 3 & 4. The rest of the periods they've played they were basically bailed out by the goalies and none of the skaters really looked good.

Reactions: LouJersey

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
btw, a lot of this discussion just illustrates how badly the NHL needs to wake the f*** up & start tracking zone time so that the stats are consistent across the internet and we don't have to infer possession from shot metrics (which is not ideal).

Reactions: LouJersey

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Fair or not, I can't get the playoff performances out of my head. He was soft as baby-poo and it makes it terribly difficult to have any optimism towards this guy.

Disclaimer:
I feel that way about lot of our roster, so maybe i'm still hurting from the letdown.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Fair or not, I can't get the playoff performances out of my head. He was soft as baby-poo and it makes it terribly difficult to have any optimism towards this guy.

Disclaimer:
I feel that way about lot of our roster, so maybe i'm still hurting from the letdown.

I cannot get it out of my head that he had the best goals for to goals against ratio in the entire playoffs , did all the little things right and people still think he was terrible. His points numbers were negatively impacted by not getting power play time. His 5v5 points per 60 were pretty average for the team.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I never have, and never will understand why people think Heinen is soft.

Fwiw, I get the need/desire for a physical winger. I'd love a Josh Anderson or Alex Tuch here, but Heinen was never billed as, nor ever claimed to be a power forward, and there's room on the roster for both.

He reminds me a lot of vintage Loui Eriksson (i.e. the good version). He has a real active stick that disrupts a dozen plays a night. He plays with good energy and steals pucks, he works the walls, he competes... He doesn't hit much but he it's about the same as Marchand, Pasta and DeBrusk. He gets over 40 takeaways a season. Last year he was 3rd on the team in takeaways despite being 12th on the team in ice time. You don't steal that many pucks without engaging in and winning your share of battles.

All that said, I will admit to feeling less confident in him in the playoffs. Not in terms of his effort or two-way play, or even his playmaking. It just felt like he was going to miss the net or find some way not to score when the chances came his way. I'm willing to give him some rope on that...

I think his goal scoring is probably the area of his game he's least confident in. When he first came up I thought he was a sneaky good shooter. He was accurate and had a lot of zip on that dragging wrister he likes to take, but he struggled in the playoffs in 2018 and I think that carried over to last year's regular season. It also didn't help that he spent most of the year playing with AHL call-ups, but whatever the reason, it felt like he never got that confidence back in his accuracy. He reminded me a bit of Rich Peverley that way last year, like every good chance he got he ripped off the glass. I'm really hoping for a fresh start this year and the shot he took against Dallas was a good start.

BruinsNetwork

Fwiw, I get the need/desire for a physical winger. I'd love a Josh Anderson or Alex Tuch here, but Heinen was never billed as, nor ever claimed to be a power forward, and there's room on the roster for both.

He reminds me a lot of vintage Loui Eriksson (i.e. the good version). He has a real active stick that disrupts a dozen plays a night. He plays with good energy and steals pucks, he works the walls, he competes... He doesn't hit much but he it's about the same as Marchand, Pasta and DeBrusk. He gets over 40 takeaways a season. Last year he was 3rd on the team in takeaways despite being 12th on the team in ice time. You don't steal that many pucks without engaging in and winning your share of battles.

All that said, I will admit to feeling less confident in him in the playoffs. Not in terms of his effort or two-way play, or even his playmaking. It just felt like he was going to miss the net or find some way not to score when the chances came his way. I'm willing to give him some rope on that...

I think his goal scoring is probably the area of his game he's least confident in. When he first came up I thought he was a sneaky good shooter. He was accurate and had a lot of zip on that dragging wrister he likes to take, but he struggled in the playoffs in 2018 and I think that carried over to last year's regular season. It also didn't help that he spent most of the year playing with AHL call-ups, but whatever the reason, it felt like he never got that confidence back in his accuracy. He reminded me a bit of Rich Peverley that way last year, like every good chance he got he ripped off the glass. I'm really hoping for a fresh start this year and the shot he took against Dallas was a good start.

Basically. Heinen is actually a really, really strong player on his sates and wins a lot of battles down-low as a result. It goes unappreciated a lot because he doesn't fight, through big hits or put his head down and skate forward as hard as he can. Smart, responsible, creative intelligent wingers like him are gold in this modern NHL.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Hopefully he pops 36 goals like Loui did in his 3rd season.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I think it's mostly because he's not aggressive. His greatest strength is his hockey IQ. He is not going to throw a big hit, or do something that will get him out of position. It's why I think he'd be perfect on the PK. I still don't understand why they don't use him there. I think he and Coyle would do very well as a PK pairing.

Reactions: Estlin

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I JUST WANT HEINEN TO TAKE A RUN AT SOMEONE, ONE TIME.

giphy.gif

Seriously, I'd lose my marbles if he absolutely beheaded a guy out there, challenged the opposing teams bench and did the "belt" gesture.

Last edited:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
And just how are we supposed to take that post from you always being in here calling him soft? :laugh:

Meanwhile it was a legitimate question
Yes, I wanted Danton Heinen to challenge the bench, grab a mic, cut a promo and then German Suplex their tough guy into the penalty box.

I also haven’t really said a word about Danton Heinen in a while.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Yes, I wanted Danton Heinen to challenge the bench, grab a mic, cut a promo and then German Suplex their tough guy into the penalty box.

I also haven’t really said a word about Danton Heinen in a while.
Yet you are now.

You posted it and still haven’t answered my question

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Seriously. Learning to kill penalties isn't that hard, either. I don't know why more players don't do it.

I doubt it’s him not learning to do it and more Cassidy just not giving him a chance cause of bergy/Marchand and then getting minutes for the 4th liners

Reactions: HustleB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->