Player Discussion Danton Heinen III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
i want bergy, debrusk and bjork .. five games.. all pretty good in their own end.. all can handle the puck and shoot. cmon brucey
I would at least like Bjork to get another chance
As for Donato I don’t think he can handle top line minutes

Reactions: BBruins

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't think too many people would complain about him if he were doing what he did from October thru January last season. (There's always going to be a minority of people that complain about every player, regardless of production). The problem for me, continues to be the inconsistency and lack of production we've seen since about February 2018, while frequently playing in a top 6 role and the constant excuse making for him.

The stats:

Feb 2018 - 13 Gms. - 6 pts
March 2018 - 15 Gms. - 4 pts.

April --- End of Playoffs - 14 Gms. - 5 pts.

October 2018 - 10 Gms. - 3 pts
November 2018 - 13 Gms. - 2 pts.

December 2018 - 12 Gms. - 4 pts.

77 games - 24 points = .311 ppg.

I cannot imagine there are too many people in the NHL who have played as many games in the top 6 -9 of a decent team to have produced less.

Couple his lack of production with the fact that game in and game out there is a vocal group of people here touting his effectiveness and I'd think that anyone rationally looking at it would understand the frustration some of us have.

I mean we read on here every week how untalented guys like Kuraly and Wagner are, yet Heinen for all his skill, smarts, toughness and intangibles, has one more point than Kuraly and 1 more goal than Wagner.

Donato, who admittedly isn't as good defensively, has 2 less points and 1 more goal in 11 fewer games.

Being a cerebral player can only get you so far in real life. The kid has to start producing.

I mean, every excuse under the sun has been used in the last 2 months to defend him; snakebit, sophomore slump, bad luck, rotating linemates, El Nino, the holidays, and on and on. When exactly is he going to be held accountable?

While I know many will accuse me of bashing the guy because I think he's soft....that's not it at all. There's room for all types on a team. The problem I have is that he's being handed valuable minutes, where production is expected and he's not producing. I don't care how good you are "defensively" or "on the wall". If you're registering a point every 3-4 games and not helping out on the PK, you're really not all that valuable.

I do hope he turns it around...quickly because if he does, they are less likely to need to make a deal..giving up assets to cover for his lack of production.

Also, I don't want him traded, unless it's a slam dunk win for the B's. As they'd be selling when his value is (hopefully!) at it's lowest and there's a chance he rebounds, but 77 games over 2 separate seasons is a big sample size and I keep wondering why people are so quick to assume the first 44 games of his career are a better indicator of what he is than the last 77?

I am pretty sure that Cassidy is a lot more about holding players “accountable” than HF posters are, seeing as his job depends on it? If Heinen is in the lineup, it’s because he is the best option at this time.

It amazes me that certain posters will take what Cassidy says as gospel if it supports their position (say about having toughness in the lineup), but question him having Heinen (or any other player) in the lineup over another player when they disagree. If he “knows better” on what topic, doesn’t he know better on all hockey topics?

Personally, I try to base my opinions on players more on how they play and less on point totals. I realize that only gets you so far, but Heinen has played well for the most part despite the lack of production. He’s not hurting the team and until they acquire someone better, he should get the nod.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I am pretty sure that Cassidy is a lot more about holding players “accountable” than HF posters are, seeing as his job depends on it? If Heinen is in the lineup, it’s because he is the best option at this time.

It amazes me that certain posters will take what Cassidy says as gospel if it supports their position (say about having toughness in the lineup), but question him having Heinen (or any other player) in the lineup over another player when they disagree. If he “knows better” on what topic, doesn’t he know better on all hockey topics?

Personally, I try to base my opinions on players more on how they play and less on point totals. I realize that only gets you so far, but Heinen has played well for the most part despite the lack of production. He’s not hurting the team and until they acquire someone better, he should get the nod.

First, I think this is more on Sweeney than Cassidy, as if Sweeney provided options that were clearly better, then there's no way, IMO that any coach would continue to use such an unproductive player as much as he does. Then again, maybe Cassidy is like so many posters here a little bit......hoping that what we saw early last year is what he is, rather than what we've seen since February being the aberration rather than a true measure of his abilities.

Secondly, questioning the coach is a part of the deal as a sports fan. I mean, you yourself have said that Heinen should be used on the PK, but Cassidy obviously disagrees.

So on the one hand, you're using Cassidy's actions to support your argument that Heinen should continue to play top 6-9 minutes, while disagreeing with him not using him on the PK.

Again....I really hope he turns it around and he's just been the unluckiest player of all time for the past 11 months because him becoming productive only gives them a better chance for success. But if he doesn't improve, I really wonder when enough is going to be enough. We're talking brutally low numbers for a guy who gets the chances he does, while simply being "ok/average/decent" in the other areas of the game.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
First, I think this is more on Sweeney than Cassidy, as if Sweeney provided options that were clearly better, then there's no way, IMO that any coach would continue to use such an unproductive player as much as he does. Then again, maybe Cassidy is like so many posters here a little bit......hoping that what we saw early last year is what he is, rather than what we've seen since February being the aberration rather than a true measure of his abilities.

Secondly, questioning the coach is a part of the deal as a sports fan. I mean, you yourself have said that Heinen should be used on the PK, but Cassidy obviously disagrees.

So on the one hand, you're using Cassidy's actions to support your argument that Heinen should continue to play top 6-9 minutes, while disagreeing with him not using him on the PK.

Again....I really hope he turns it around and he's just been the unluckiest player of all time for the past 11 months because him becoming productive only gives them a better chance for success. But if he doesn't improve, I really wonder when enough is going to be enough. We're talking brutally low numbers for a guy who gets the chances he does, while simply being "ok/average/decent" in the other areas of the game.

I’m not using Cassidy as an argument for my position either way. I am on record as saying I think Heinen is playing well, despite the lack of points, and should be in the lineup. Whether that’s 3rd or 4th line is up to the coach obviously.

What I was pointing out is that you (and others) point to the coach (or players) and what they say about an enforcer in the lineup as proving your point in regards to that matter. Yet you question Heinen being in the lineup, when that’s the coaches decision as well. Not sure how you can have it both ways?

I stand on my own in both cases, regardless of what Cassidy says/thinks (that and $2.50 get me a large coffee at Dunkin :laugh:).

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I’m not using Cassidy as an argument for my position either way. I am on record as saying I think Heinen is playing well, despite the lack of points, and should be in the lineup. Whether that’s 3rd or 4th line is up to the coach obviously.

What I was pointing out is that you (and others) point to the coach (or players) and what they say about an enforcer in the lineup as proving your point in regards to that matter. Yet you question Heinen being in the lineup, when that’s the coaches decision as well. Not sure how you can have it both ways?

I stand on my own in both cases, regardless of what Cassidy says/thinks (that and $2.50 get me a large coffee at Dunkin :laugh:).

Similarly, you point to Cassidy continuing to use Heinen in a prominent role at ES and on the PP, as an affirmation that he is playing well, while questioning why he isn't used to kill penalties.

Meaning...you disagree with Cassidy's assessment of his ability to kill penalties, while agreeing with him that he should continue to be given the ES and PP minutes he is being given.

It's exactly the same as me agreeing with Cassidy's opinion on toughness, but disagreeing with him giving Heinen quality, second line minutes.

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I'm torn on him. Been getting a lot of chances but can't seem to bury. 3rd line is probably best for him due to easier matchups until he gets rolling.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I've been a big Heinen fan since he arrived with the Bs. Love his IQ and skill. I still am a Heinen fan, but his lack of production is finally starting to bother me. He has been doing so much right this season. Earlier in the season he was setting up his linemates an absolute ton, but they were not putting the puck into the goal, so I attributed a certain amount of his lack of production to some bad luck. His shooting pct last season was 12% and this season it is 7%, not garbage territory by any means, but quite a bit below last season. When you look at his advanced stats and stats other than scoring related stats he is performing very well. Yeah, it is frustrating that he's not putting up more points, but I am still high on the guy and have confidence that the scoring will come around at some point. One thing that needs to be done is for Cassidy to quit being so ADHD with the lines and let the players develop chemistry with each other. Even before the injuries to Bergy and Jake he was being ridiculous with his lines some nights. It's a real problem IMO.

Reactions: chizzler

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Similarly, you point to Cassidy continuing to use Heinen in a prominent role at ES and on the PP, as an affirmation that he is playing well, while questioning why he isn't used to kill penalties.

Meaning...you disagree with Cassidy's assessment of his ability to kill penalties, while agreeing with him that he should continue to be given the ES and PP minutes he is being given.

It's exactly the same as me agreeing with Cassidy's opinion on toughness, but disagreeing with him giving Heinen quality, second line minutes.

Actually, that’s not what I said.

I have maintained all along that Heinen is kind of the lesser of all the evils as far as the Top 6 goes. Particularly with his lack of production this year, he should be on the 3rd line, but they don’t have a better option.

IMO, he would be more effective playing 3rd line minutes and on the PK. I never said anything about him continuing to get Top 6 minutes and on the PP.

Ideally the B’s trade prospects/picks for a legit 2nd line wing, which allows them to drop Heinen to the 3rd line (my preference would be with JFK and Bjork/Backes).

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I've been a big Heinen fan since he arrived with the Bs. Love his IQ and skill. I still am a Heinen fan, but his lack of production is finally starting to bother me. He has been doing so much right this season. Earlier in the season he was setting up his linemates an absolute ton, but they were not putting the puck into the goal, so I attributed a certain amount of his lack of production to some bad luck. His shooting pct last season was 12% and this season it is 7%, not garbage territory by any means, but quite a bit below last season. When you look at his advanced stats and stats other than scoring related stats he is performing very well. Yeah, it is frustrating that he's not putting up more points, but I am still high on the guy and have confidence that the scoring will come around at some point. One thing that needs to be done is for Cassidy to quit being so ADHD with the lines and let the players develop chemistry with each other. Even before the injuries to Bergy and Jake he was being ridiculous with his lines some nights. It's a real problem IMO.

They should have not touched

Heinen JFK Donato

Constantly needing to cater to Backes, Nordstrom of the world really slowing down on the "build"

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
If Donato and Heinen were one person, he’d be really good.

Instead we get to watch one guy who is a train wreck in the offensive zone and another who sucks everywhere but the offensive zone.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Instead we get to watch one guy who is a train wreck in the offensive zone and another who sucks everywhere but the offensive zone.

Thats why it can "work"

JFK should play next game...

Would like this line get another chance

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Thats why it can "work"

JFK should play next game...

Would like this line get another chance

I’m thinking there may be some changes on Saturday.

Heinen may be in the press box.

Backes likely suspended...Marchy injured?

Maybe bring up some guys who are hungry for a shot to,prove themselves.

Reactions: Blowfish

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
They should have not touched

Heinen JFK Donato

Constantly needing to cater to Backes, Nordstrom of the world really slowing down on the "build"
Definitely. Just posted something in the PGT mentioning this. Instead, we get constant line shuffling, and putting guys in the lineup who would be in the AHL for actual elite teams.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Naw wont happen

But dont worry Cassidy will insert Acciari

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

I can remember Heinen literally was carrying this team last year for a stretch . Wasn’t he right up there in points among Bruin forwards around the end of February ? Was it a mirage ? Can he be that player again ?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I can remember Heinen literally was carrying this team last year for a stretch . Wasn’t he right up there in points among Bruin forwards around the end of February ? Was it a mirage ? Can he be that player again ?

That’s the million dollar question.

We’re now at the point where 1/3 of NHL career has shown good production and the other 2/3 has been really weak.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

In the press box? For being one of only three F’s tonight who was a “plus”, adding three shots, and an assist?

Also, your “trainwreck in the offensive zone” comment is inaccurate. Sounds good, just wrong.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Heinen needs to play centre. His main asset is his hockey sense and ability to move the puck quickly to his linemates. His skillset doesn't fit the wing. He doesn't have a great shot, he isn't overpowering and I don't think I have ever seen him dangle on anyone. Seriously his stick handling his Blades of steel-esque, forehand to back hand is his only move other than doing the chip and chase behind someone. We need to give the kid a shot at Centre where he can play make, get the puck to players who drive down the wings and then get himself in good position to distribute the puck again or finish the play. He has very good vision and untapped play-making ability but he will never be a big-time goal scorer. He has also been bouncing from left to right wing too much. If they aren't going to try him at Centre then they need to consider trading him to acquire a legit top six impact winger or settling on the fact that he is a 3rd line LW.

Reactions: FanSince72

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
In the press box? For being one of only three F’s tonight who was a “plus”, adding three shots, and an assist?

Also, your “trainwreck in the offensive zone” comment is inaccurate. Sounds good, just wrong.

Just reading the tea leaves a bit.

He did start on the 2nd line and ended up playing on the 4th for most of the last period and a half, right? Being replaced by that offensive stud, Joakim Nordstrom.

Trainwreck may be too harsh....but it was late and I struggled to come up with a better word to describe the greatest player in the league to average about 1/3 of a point per game over the last 80 games or so.

Is offensively challenged too mean?

How about tremendously unlucky, through no fault of his own?

Or maybe....amazingly productive: just not in important or tangible ways?

If anyone among the forwards is going to be moved out to give someone else a shot, I'd think the guy who essentially got demoted would be among the likeliest of candidates.

But hey, I've been wrong before.

I once thought Heinen was going to be a productive player for years to come.

Edit....not to nitpick but I just watched Wagner's goal again....

While I know these things happen over the course of a season....the assist that he got was an absolute gift.

Wagner swept the puck behind the net...Heinen reached out to try to get it, but either missed it altogether or it barely nicked his stick, got past him, got to Moore who crossed it to Wagner for the goal.

He literally did nothing, aside from not cleanly receive a pass/dump around for that assist.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBruins

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He needs to be the “ vet of a line” IMO. He’s deferres too much to the veterans. He played great on that kid line. He was the leader. Heinen-JFK- Donato line needs to be reunited. I’m starting to get annoyed with some of the line ups that are being put on the ice. Cassidy is making friends of some players. If you don’t play, you sit and we call Providence for help. A little fire under their butts.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
He needs to be the “ vet of a line” IMO. He’s deferres too much to the veterans. He played great on that kid line. He was the leader. Heinen-JFK- Donato line needs to be reunited. I’m starting to get annoyed with some of the line ups that are being put on the ice. Cassidy is making friends of some players. If you don’t play, you sit and we call Providence for help. A little fire under their butts.

I don't know about needing to be the veteran...his best production came last year with Nash and Backes, primarily. Two guys with 7+ years of experience each.

I do agree with calling up some guys, hoping to get a spark.

Reactions: Blowfish

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
personally I dont like the message demoting him sent to the team.

he's been snake bitten for sure this year.

but he has also done all you ask of a player all year. He is consistently engaged, skates hard, battles on the boards and in the corners and plays 200ft. He is generating good chances, he just isnt finishing

Meanwhile, floaters like Donato get quality minutes. not a good look to me

Reactions: GloryDaze4877
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad