Player Discussion Danton Heinen III

Status
Not open for further replies.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Marchand must see something I don’t,big body and strong on the puck aren’t words I would use to describe him.He is an all right player,third line I think is his place,he has had plenty of opportunities to play on the first two lines ,just don’t think it’s going to happen.Keep him trade him really could care less.
If you were in an office of 10 employees Heinen would be around the 7th most important person there. Like a mail clerk.

You wouldn’t look at him as the problem if you were struggling but you know he’d have no part in a solution.

Everyday he’s show up and the owner would look at him and say oh....you’re here....

And then go back to his crossword puzzle.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I'am going to blame Heinen low stats this season so far, as much as Krejci can be blamed

without a legit 3c/consistency Sweeney ultimately should be the blame

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
If you were in an office of 10 employees Heinen would be around the 7th most important person there. Like a mail clerk.

You wouldn’t look at him as the problem if you were struggling but you know he’d have no part in a solution.

Everyday he’s show up and the owner would look at him and say oh....you’re here....

And then go back to his crossword puzzle.

Except instead of 10 employees, why not use the actual roster size? Also, if you were discussing importance to the company, you might have to differentiate between different departments, like say sales and mail clerks? In addition, if the owner shows up everyday and continues to employ people who they think don’t do anything, mainly because they are busy doing crossword puzzles, that company probably has much bigger issues than the mail clerk.

Other than that, the analogy was spot on...

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Except instead of 10 employees, why not use the actual roster size? Also, if you were discussing importance to the company, you might have to differentiate between different departments, like say sales and mail clerks? In addition, if the owner shows up everyday and continues to employ people who they think don’t do anything, mainly because they are busy doing crossword puzzles, that company probably has much bigger issues than the mail clerk.

Other than that, the analogy was spot on...
Lol I know you like the guy. He’s a fine player who screams third liner on a good team. Which is ok too.

Lots of people like the Twilight movies. Or parsnips.

Like some players, they’re just not for everyone.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Lol I know you like the guy. He’s a fine player who screams third liner on a good team. Which is ok too.

Lots of people like the Twilight movies. Or parsnips.

Like some players, they’re just not for everyone.

I do like the guy, but it has zero to do with my criticism of your analogy, which is just dumb.

Out of the F’s, I would rank him 6/12, not 7/10 and the mail clerk reference is just meant to be derogatory. Heinen is a jack of all trades that can play up and down the lineup. On a Cup team, he should be on the 3rd line, not sure why that’s a bad thing.

He’s certainly not Pasta, but he has not looked out of place with 63 and 37. B’s need to add a legit Top 6 wing, but until they do, Heinen is the best option.

They should be using him on the PK so guys like Krejci can get less hard minutes.

Reactions: nords1995

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hes a solid player.

But I get why he isn't popular and it doesn't help that our best and closest forward prospects have the same issues.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I do like the guy, but it has zero to do with my criticism of your analogy, which is just dumb.

Out of the F’s, I would rank him 6/12, not 7/10 and the mail clerk reference is just meant to be derogatory. Heinen is a jack of all trades that can play up and down the lineup. On a Cup team, he should be on the 3rd line, not sure why that’s a bad thing.

He’s certainly not Pasta, but he has not looked out of place with 63 and 37. B’s need to add a legit Top 6 wing, but until they do, Heinen is the best option.

They should be using him on the PK so guys like Krejci can get less hard minutes.
I said it’s ok to be a third liner. I just don’t fall in love with them in general. Actually I really don’t fall in love with many players so don’t read too much in to that I guess.

Probably should be a Pats fan. I like how Belichek handles his roster.

I do agree he should be spending lots of time on the pk. I’d still play Donato ahead of him (this past two weeks or so Donato version) in the lineup.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Hes a solid player.

But I get why he isn't popular and it doesn't help that our best and closest forward prospects have the same issues.

People don’t like him because he’s not “flashy” and he doesn’t punch people. That’s not what I look at when I watch a game or player.

I’m not saying the B’s couldn’t use a guy that punches people. I’m saying that Heinen is not that guy, and there is no reason to bag on him because he’s not as physical as some would like.

It takes all types to make a comeplete team and a versatile smart player like him could play for me any time.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
People don’t like him because he’s not “flashy” and he doesn’t punch people. That’s not what I look at when I watch a game or player.

I’m not saying the B’s couldn’t use a guy that punches people. I’m saying that Heinen is not that guy, and there is no reason to bag on him because he’s not as physical as some would like.

It takes all types to make a comeplete team and a versatile smart player like him could play for me any time.
Well said.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I said it’s ok to be a third liner. I just don’t fall in love with them in general. Actually I really don’t fall in love with many players so don’t read too much in to that I guess.

Probably should be a Pats fan. I like how Belichek handles his roster.

I do agree he should be spending lots of time on the pk. I’d still play Donato ahead of him (this past two weeks or so Donato version) in the lineup.

As my son likes to say, Donato is a “one-zone player”.

He says that about players that do next to nothing in the NZ and their own end, but somehow find an extra gear and level of compete in the offensive zone.

In the loss to CAR, Donato was one of the few good players, but he needs to show that effort in all three zones, every game. Until he does, he’s not ready for Top 6 duty.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

People don’t like him because he has 9 points in 35 games.

He’s a smart player and I like him fine but he hasn’t produced this year. Since he put up 47 last year expectations are naturally higher than the 25ish he’s on pace for this year.

Reactions: BBruins and sarge88

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
As my son likes to say, Donato is a “one-zone player”.

He says that about players that do next to nothing in the NZ and their own end, but somehow find an extra gear and level of compete in the offensive zone.

In the loss to CAR, Donato was one of the few good players, but he needs to show that effort in all three zones, every game. Until he does, he’s not ready for Top 6 duty.
I should have clarified. I don’t want either of them playing in the top 6.

But as it stands, someone has to until they go outside the organization and find someone more capable.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
People don’t like him because he has 9 points in 35 games.

He’s a smart player and I like him fine but he hasn’t produced this year. Since he put up 47 last year expectations are naturally higher than the 25ish he’s on pace for this year.

With all due respect, I think this is horseshit. Many posters tolerated him because of his point totals last year, and couldn’t wait to jump on him after the slow start this season. I guarantee you if he was physical, dropped the gloves and put up the same numbers, a lot of those same posters would be saying nothing.

Guaranteed.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I'm surprised he hasn't been able to put up some more points having opportunity to play on the 1st and 2nd lines this season

Maybe the issue is Cassidy lineup changes are fickle/instead of being patient and letting chemistry build

Because I can't see how Riley Nash, Backes are more talented than Marchand, Bergeron or Debrusk/Pasta and Krejci

Reactions: missingchicklet

False Start

May 8, 2018
With all due respect, I think this is horse****. Many posters tolerated him because of his point totals last year, and couldn’t wait to jump on him after the slow start this season. I guarantee you if he was physical, dropped the gloves and put up the same numbers, a lot of those same posters would be saying nothing.

Guaranteed.

I dislike Heinen this year because:

He put up 47 points split mainly between RILEY NASH and DAVID BACKES.

So this year we seemingly give him top 6 minutes with BETTER players and he's failed to live up to even last years expectations.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige

So this year we seemingly give him top 6 minutes with BETTER players and he's failed to live up to even last years expectations.
Played few games with top players... need to adjust to talented players and better opposition. That said, in Boston 2 games ago, played hard in front of the net twice without cashing points but certainly was part of the process thepat led to goals.

Reactions: FanSince72

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Danton isn't the first young player to go through a year where they can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn. The Bruins have sold low on these players in the past and it has come back to bite them (Reilly Smith, Seguin, Wheeler). Now Heinen will probably never be those players, but if we trade him and next year he scores close to 20 with 50 points on another team.

Bruins are in a spot, because i think they are going to end up trading one of there young wingers. This is similar to back when we were debating which of the Ks was the one to keep. They made the right decision back then, and got useful pieces to the ones they let go. Hopefully they make the correct decision again.

Sophomore Slump

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Heinen is yet another guy on the team who is pretty good at creating chances.

The issue is mostly that he feels the net to try to pick the top corner every chance he gets and he misses the net 90% of the time. At this point, I’d be telling him to put it directly at the goalie. That’s at least got a chance of effectiveness with the possibility of a rebound.

Reactions: PlayMakers

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

The issue is mostly that he feels the net to try to pick the top corner every chance he gets and he misses the net 90% of the time. At this point, I’d be telling him to put it directly at the goalie. That’s at least got a chance of effectiveness with the possibility of a rebound.

Top corner or low blocker. He’s trying to be too fine because nothing is going in. As you say, needs to just keep putting the puck on net and good things will happen. Rinne made 2/3 really nice saves against him in that game. His 6.9 shooting percentage is unsustainably low, and should rise.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

As much as we shit on Riley and Backes, I guess this speaks to how much better the 3rd line was for the B’s last year? There has been little to no continuity in the Top 6 this year, except for the top line for the first 15-19 games. No Bergeron, then no Bergeron and no DeBrusk. This forced Cassidy to play Bottom 6 guys over their heads.

B’s need to add a legit Top 6 W to the mix, which will push the Bottom 6 guys back down to where they belong. This will slot Heinen in the 3rd line, hopefully with JFK and Bjork, but it might be Backes. That line should do well vs Bottom 6 matchups.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

I like this idea.... he is a nose picker.... I mean post picker ;)

just way too cute sometimes/takes that extra half a sec too long before shooting. I can't remember how many posts/wide of the net missed chances he has had this season alone.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
THIS! .my one gripe with cassidy.. guy is all over the map with his lines. pick a lineup and stick with it

Like last game marchand bergeron one line and krejci pasta another

Then the team is behind after the 2nd and he elects to go back to marchand bergeron pasta

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don't think too many people would complain about him if he were doing what he did from October thru January last season. (There's always going to be a minority of people that complain about every player, regardless of production). The problem for me, continues to be the inconsistency and lack of production we've seen since about February 2018, while frequently playing in a top 6 role and the constant excuse making for him.

The stats:

Feb 2018 - 13 Gms. - 6 pts
March 2018 - 15 Gms. - 4 pts.

April --- End of Playoffs - 14 Gms. - 5 pts.

October 2018 - 10 Gms. - 3 pts
November 2018 - 13 Gms. - 2 pts.

December 2018 - 12 Gms. - 4 pts.

77 games - 24 points = .311 ppg.

I cannot imagine there are too many people in the NHL who have played as many games in the top 6 -9 of a decent team to have produced less.

Couple his lack of production with the fact that game in and game out there is a vocal group of people here touting his effectiveness and I'd think that anyone rationally looking at it would understand the frustration some of us have.

I mean we read on here every week how untalented guys like Kuraly and Wagner are, yet Heinen for all his skill, smarts, toughness and intangibles, has one more point than Kuraly and 1 more goal than Wagner.

Donato, who admittedly isn't as good defensively, has 2 less points and 1 more goal in 11 fewer games.

Being a cerebral player can only get you so far in real life. The kid has to start producing.

I mean, every excuse under the sun has been used in the last 2 months to defend him; snakebit, sophomore slump, bad luck, rotating linemates, El Nino, the holidays, and on and on. When exactly is he going to be held accountable?

While I know many will accuse me of bashing the guy because I think he's soft....that's not it at all. There's room for all types on a team. The problem I have is that he's being handed valuable minutes, where production is expected and he's not producing. I don't care how good you are "defensively" or "on the wall". If you're registering a point every 3-4 games and not helping out on the PK, you're really not all that valuable.

I do hope he turns it around...quickly because if he does, they are less likely to need to make a deal..giving up assets to cover for his lack of production.

Also, I don't want him traded, unless it's a slam dunk win for the B's. As they'd be selling when his value is (hopefully!) at it's lowest and there's a chance he rebounds. But, 77 games over 2 separate seasons is a big sample size and I keep wondering why people are so quick to assume the first 44 games of his career are a better indicator of what he is than the last 77?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->