Player Discussion Danton Heinen III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
If you are going to nitpick, which you consistently do with Heinen, and get on his case for the gift assist, go back on the DVR about 15 seconds and watch the set up he gives Wagner in front of the net. He should have scored on that, and these things have a way of evening out.

There have been many, many occasions this season where he has set players up point blank and they couldn’t finish. Maybe I should start highlighting these after every game?

I have said all along that Heinen needs to be more productive. My issue with you is that you seem to want to single Heinen out for mistakes other players make all the time, yet ignore any good plays he makes. The root of all of this is that you think he’s soft and it colors every perception. If Heinen had the same point totals, but jumped a guy every 15 games, you would be totally cool with him.

I'm sorry :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: but the way your constantly defending Heinen is funny, don't take it wrong, but your like a mother constantly defending their child in a high-school sport.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
There's also several times where Heinen has been set up and launches one right into the crest of the jersey. He's just a bit frustrating to me, he's not a second line player (and that's totally not his fault that he keeps getting time there) - He's a 3rd liner who simply isn't really producing. He's leaving a lot to be desired right now. What really bugs me is the fact that he just doesn't seem to have much fight. The guy gets knocked around after the whistle and it looks like he's almost about to cry. He just kind of stands there like a deer in the headlights with a worried look on his face. That, and he pulls up on hits. He's had countless, COUNTLESS opportunities to lay the body or separate a guy from the puck, he instead peels away. It's like he's afraid to be a little mean.

I get that he's simply not a physical player, but a guy like him totally worries me come playoff time. I don't see an extra, helpful gear there from him. I saw it from DeBrusk and I saw Heinen go into hiding.

I know you're a big fan of his, and I respect that but he's been pretty bad... and he has been since March of last year.

Hey, I get it, he’s not everybody’s cup of tea.

I think comparing him to DeBrusk as a player with similar experience is completely fair, but stylistically, they are like night and day. I also don’t think he’s been “pretty bad” since last March. He’s been a solid player (particularly defensively) that hasn’t been putting up as many points as he did the first 40 games he played.

I’m not a huge advanced stats guy, but it seems that most of the time he’s on a line (whether he produces or not), that line grades out well. That speaks to what he does for the lines he’s on. He’s not going to give you Pasta like dangles, but he’s also not going to hurt you. It’s not sexy, but apparently it’s pretty effective.

As far as the physicality stuff goes, you are beating a dead horse. That’s not him. I played with guys like that and my son has played with a lot of kids like that. Good players that just don’t have that in their DNA. It doesn’t do a bit of good to complain about it, that’s just not who they are, and asking them to be something they aren’t is pointless as well.

I would love to see a B’s 3rd line with Heinen, a shooter, and a “Josh Anderson type”, because I think it would be very effective. I would love to see Heinen be a little “fiery” at times, but I don’t think he needs to be in order to contribute.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I'm sorry :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: but the way your constantly defending Heinen is funny, don't take it wrong, but your like a mother constantly defending their child in a high-school sport.
He does stick up for him but he has a point. The Bruins problems are a lot more than Heinen not scoring. He’s just the whipping boy ATM. Coaching, player effort and FO are all part of a big problem. Heinen at the moment is a 3rd liner. Putting him on the 2nd line isn’t working to some, but to say he’s a fourth liner is rediculous. Giving up on players too soon is a problem they’ve had in the past.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Yeah, I get like that when I see a guy becoming a whipping boy for the team unjustly. Did it with Marchand when he was first up, with Sobotka, Wheeler, Soderberg, Wideman as well.

Not sure how far back you can go since they updated the site, but if you could you would see it. If I watch a guy, like the way he plays, and think he gets shit on too much...I will probably be sticking up for the guy.

At least I’m consistent.

Been watching, playing, coaching hockey for a long, long time and I see what I see.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
No, my issue with him is his lack of production over nearly a calendar year, while people like you continue to make excuses for him. Sure he's had some bad luck....who hasn't? It's par for the course in the NHL that goalies make great saves, posts get hit, pucks hop over sticks, teammates (often him) shoot wide after they get a great set up.

I just wonder why you seem to notice this more with him than others? Imagine how many assists he's cost his teammates by missing the net 3/4 times he shoots? That's who I feel bad for, the guys who are saddled with him as a line mate.

I'll ask you this...can you find one negative post from me about him prior to around November? Doubt it. Even during the playoffs last year when he got a whole point in 9 games I don't remember being hard on him, because he was a rookie and it's part of the process.

Calling a spade a spade....you're right, I'd be much happier if he pounded a guy every few games while producing garbage for stats, because at least that would be entertaining. Instead we're treated to "good positioning" or "solid play along the wall" as a supplement to production.

Unfortunately, for him and all his enablers, he's now almost 130 games into his career and despite the various excuses that people want to make for him, we all should be concerned that he's heading to Kraig Nienhuis/Ken Hodge Jr. territory.

As for singling him out. Maybe that's true, but to be honest if people were this vocal in support of other non-producers, I'd probably be in the same discussion.

I can't make this clear enough.....I only care about the team winning and giving me something to enjoy watching. I don't care if it's Heinen, Kuraly, Wagner, Donato or anyone else...if you're producing and giving a good effort, I'm happy to root for you. If you're not -- I'm 100% happy to watch someone else get a chance.

Maybe it's just time to put him on the 4th line and tell him that's where he's going to be. Maybe it's a mental thing and he can't handle bouncing around the lineup. It's unfortunate if that's the case, but if it helps, why not give it a try?

His enablers? There are probably 4/5 of us that stick up for him, with me being the most vocal. There are more posters (and people on Twitter) that blame him for everything that ails the B’s than who stick up for him.

I could care less where they play Heinen. If he can help the 3rd or 4th lines produce, by all means put him there. I’m shocked that he was able to produce as much as he did last year the way he was moved around. I’m laughing a little right now because you make it seem like it’s a bad thing if Heinen is not a fan of being bounced around the lineup.

I don’t know a player that likes that, young or old. I love DeBrusk, but he has received the red carpet treatment since he arrived at Camp last year. Through thick and thin, rain or shine, injuries and health, til death do us part, he has been super-glued to Krejci’s hip. You don’t think that stability has helped his game?

You and I agree on one thing, we both want the B’s to win. The difference is that I think they are a better team with Heinen on the ice than off.

Reactions: BigBear83

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
He does stick up for him but he has a point. The Bruins problems are a lot more than Heinen not scoring. He’s just the whipping boy ATM. Coaching, player effort and FO are all part of a big problem. Heinen at the moment is a 3rd liner. Putting him on the 2nd line isn’t working to some, but to say he’s a fourth liner is rediculous. Giving up on players too soon is a problem they’ve had in the past.

Heinen a dam good player, he does everything well but nothing spectacular. He would be a great 3rd line player who can play up at times but the Bruins just don't have the depth for him to fill that role.

I feel the league has also adjusted to him, last year he had a hard sneaky shot, but not so much this year as teams or waiting for it.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Hey, I get it, he’s not everybody’s cup of tea.

I think comparing him to DeBrusk as a player with similar experience is completely fair, but stylistically, they are like night and day. I also don’t think he’s been “pretty bad” since last March. He’s been a solid player (particularly defensively) that hasn’t been putting up as many points as he did the first 40 games he played.

I’m not a huge advanced stats guy, but it seems that most of the time he’s on a line (whether he produces or not), that line grades out well. That speaks to what he does for the lines he’s on. He’s not going to give you Pasta like dangles, but he’s also not going to hurt you. It’s not sexy, but apparently it’s pretty effective.

As far as the physicality stuff goes, you are beating a dead horse. That’s not him. I played with guys like that and my son has played with a lot of kids like that. Good players that just don’t have that in their DNA. It doesn’t do a bit of good to complain about it, that’s just not who they are, and asking them to be something they aren’t is pointless as well.

I would love to see a B’s 3rd line with Heinen, a shooter, and a “Josh Anderson type”, because I think it would be very effective. I would love to see Heinen be a little “fiery” at times, but I don’t think he needs to be in order to contribute.
I’m just super disappointed in his play. Is he defensively decent? Sure, I’ll say he’s decent on the defensive side, but the absolute lack of offense from him is bad. It’s been bad for almost a calendar year, too, and was very bad in the post season last year. It’s just not good enough, like at all.

As for the physicality thing. I do get that, however the same was said about Carlo “he’s just not that type of player” and he started developing a bit of an edge, and in turn his play has gotten a ton better. He’s bad offensively, but he more than makes up with that with his defensive play, and physicality.

I think you’re a bit biased with Heinen, and it’s gone past “picking up for a player” when he’s being whipped around here. You’ve openly said you have a “man crush” on him. I think people are frustrated with his play, and I can’t blame them. The team needs secondary offense and he’s one of the guys who flat out needs to do it.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Heinen a dam good player, he does everything well but nothing spectacular. He would be a great 3rd line player who can play up at times but the Bruins just don't have the depth for him to fill that role.

I feel the league has also adjusted to him, last year he had a hard sneaky shot, but not so much this year as teams or waiting for it.
Do not agree with “dam good player” at all. Decent is as good as I’ll go when describing Danton Heinen.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Do not agree with “dam good player” at all. Decent is as good as I’ll go when describing Danton Heinen.

I think its all depends on your definition of dam good.

Too me, in today's NHL, its a player who's versatile enough where you can put him up and down the line-up at either wing and he could pop you in 12-20 goals a season and be defensively reliable and too me that's Danton Heinen. He more than likely wont reach those goal totals this year, but he fits the bill in every other category.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
What about March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December?
Heinen was effective when he had that extra step in his stride and was usually the first guy to get to loose pucks . He succeeded last year ( when he was on ) no matter where the Bruins put him . Obviously he isn’t the same player this year .

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

Too me, in today's NHL, its a player who's versatile enough where you can put him up and down the line-up at either wing and he could pop you in 12-20 goals a season and be defensively reliable and too me that's Danton Heinen. He more than likely wont reach those goal totals this year, but he fits the bill in every other category.
Well, safe to say we're pretty far off on our definitions.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

It’s safe to say he would be on a lot of coaches list of players the would like. Very versatile.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
It’s safe to say he would be on a lot of coaches list of players the would like. Very versatile.
Great. Hopefully those coaches can speak to their GM and mention that. Maybe we can get an upgrade in return? Heinen and a pick for an upgrade, someone who can score would be a start.

Danton Heinen to me...

Offense - Bad
Physicality - Bad
Defensive Positioning - Good

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Great. Hopefully those coaches can speak to their GM and mention that. Maybe we can get an upgrade in return? Heinen and a pick for an upgrade, someone who can score would be a start.

Danton Heinen to me...

Offense - Bad
Physicality - Bad
I wish I could argue with you but I can’t. I think he’ll be two out of the three eventually.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I’m just super disappointed in his play. Is he defensively decent? Sure, I’ll say he’s decent on the defensive side, but the absolute lack of offense from him is bad. It’s been bad for almost a calendar year, too, and was very bad in the post season last year. It’s just not good enough, like at all.

As for the physicality thing. I do get that, however the same was said about Carlo “he’s just not that type of player” and he started developing a bit of an edge, and in turn his play has gotten a ton better. He’s bad offensively, but he more than makes up with that with his defensive play, and physicality.

I think you’re a bit biased with Heinen, and it’s gone past “picking up for a player” when he’s being whipped around here. You’ve openly said you have a “man crush” on him. I think people are frustrated with his play, and I can’t blame them. The team needs secondary offense and he’s one of the guys who flat out needs to do it.

I think you are off base with Carlo and his physicality. There’s more than there was, but on a scale of 1-10, we are talking from a 1 to a 3. I think it’s an effort from Carlo and it’s not in his DNA. Maybe he can grow into it like Wheeler did?

I think the coaching staff wants Carlo to be more physical (and thinks he needs to be), but I don’t see that as a necessity from Heinen for him to be effective.

I watch the games and the players and I don’t really look at their point totals, unless that’s all they bring to the table. I know that sounds like a cop out, but it’s true. For a guy like Donato, who gives you nothing in the way of forecheck or D, he needs to be scoring to justify his spot on the team. Heinen could play a role in the Bottom 6 and still contribute. As I have said before, would love to see him on the PK in place of one of the top guys to lessen the wear and tear.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Danton Heinen to me...

Offense - Bad
Physicality - Bad

I mean he's not physical there's no doubt there, but to say he's bad offensively. Not a chance. He creates chances and is smart enough to know where to be to get chances.He's no finisher that's for sure but he certainly isn't bad offensively.

Physicality he'll never be a physical player but he doesn't shy away from the dirty areas either.

Last edited:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I mean he's not physical there's no doubt there, but to say he's bad offensively. Not a chance. He creates chances and is smart enough to know where to be to get chances.He's no finisher that's for sure but he certainly isn't bad offensively.

Physicality he'll never be a physical player but he doesn't shy away from the dirty areas either.
He's been bad offensively since February or March of last year. If you look at his offensive output, it defines "Bad" especially for a guy who's been moving around the lineup.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Games/Points

Oct 6/6
Nov 13/6
Dec 14/14
Jan 11/7
Feb 13/6
Mar 15/4
Apr 5/4

Not bad for a rookie...

It’s not at all... I’m a big Heinen guy I like his game a lot.

But he is either in a Massive slump or is just a solid NHL 3rd liner which is fine he does his job well...could be our new pj axelsson for years to come a reliable mistake free stable on the 3rd line

In his last 75 NHL games

9G 11A 20 P

Last edited:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Heinen dropped from the 2nd line (and 1st with Marchand set to return)

Maybe reality is ..he cant excel under Cassidy who likes to change lines by the 2nd

Heinen looks like a player that prefers stability

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He’s fine on the 3rd line. Until he proves otherwise. All this nonesense that he’s worthless is a joke. It’s not his fault he’s put in this position. They don’t have a winger for the second line. I would be mad at who keeps putting him there instead of putting the hate in the player. The kid is just being bounced to much.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He’s fine on the 3rd line. Until he proves otherwise. All this nonesense that he’s worthless is a joke. It’s not his fault he’s put in this position. They don’t have a winger for the second line. I would be mad at who keeps putting him there instead of putting the hate in the player. The kid is just being bounced to much.

He certainly isn't worthless but he certainly isn't top 6 either and there is no denying the lack of production is concerning.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

To me it’s less about how he’s being used and more about his effort and attitude, especially lately.

I mean there’s only so many excuses that can be made for a guy before he’s got to start taking the bull by the horns.

He just doesn’t seem to be engaged and I’m not talking physically because even when he was producing last year, that wasn’t the case.

Maybe there’s something outside of hockey that’s going on in his life?

Whatever the case they need to start getting some production from him and some others.

The first line and Krejci, McAvoy and Krug can only do so much.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
To me it’s less about how he’s being used and more about his effort and attitude, especially lately.

I mean there’s only so many excuses that can be made for a guy before he’s got to start taking the bull by the horns.

He just doesn’t seem to be engaged and I’m not talking physically because even when he was producing last year, that wasn’t the case.

Maybe there’s something outside of hockey that’s going on in his life?

Whatever the case they need to start getting some production from him and some others.

The first line and Krejci, McAvoy and Krug can only do so much.
I’ve said this in other threads but I’ll say it again. Line combos are bizarre to me. Too much juggling going on. Every game there is a new line up. No way players can get comfortable, especially when they are struggling. Cassidy has a third line that seemed to work a little. Heinen actually looked good there with the other kids and then he doesn’t go back to it since. WTF. Take the pressure of him.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I’ve said this in other threads but I’ll say it again. Line combos are bizarre to me. Too much juggling going on. Every game there is a new line up. No way players can get comfortable, especially when they are struggling. Cassidy has a third line that seemed to work a little. Heinen actually looked good there with the other kids and then he doesn’t go back to it since. WTF. Take the pressure of him.

I agree that it’s not perfect...but it’s also not something Heinen can control.

What he can control is how he plays and more specifically, how hard he plays.

I will say that unfortunately for him, even when the points were coming, he wasn’t terribly noticeable. That’s not a knock....I just mean that unlike a Wagner or Kuraly because of their energetic skating style or Krejci because he has the puck so much, those guys are noticed.

Heinen is more of a facilitator who doesn’t get noticed as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia