Player Discussion Danton Heinen III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
heinen is vastly underrated on this board and it drives me crazy
good in all three zones, always in the right spot.. good on the wall, which this team drastically needs.. tough time shooting right now, but that is the entire team.. he doesnt raise the puck on one shot and people are ready to trade him for a bag of pucks.. am i crazy, do people actually watch the games?

doesn`t surprise me, many would have a newbie to the boards thinking the answer to all scoring woes is sitting in Providence in Cehlarik

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm actually amazed you have this opinion.

There's literally no reason for me to believe Heinen is a plus skater at all. Where as Krejci most definitely still is, even at his age.

If Krejci couldn't skate he wouldn't be in this league. No amount of patience and passing would keep him as a top six center if it weren't for his ability to move and be an effective two way forward.

Heinen won`t win any fastest skater competitions however, he isn`t slow. If you watch him on the forecheck, his anticipation and the smart angles he takes, combined with decent foot speed, not great, often have him causing fits for opponents, but those things cannot be found on the stat sheet at the end of the night

False Start

May 8, 2018
Heinen won`t win any fastest skater competitions however, he isn`t slow. If you watch him on the forecheck, his anticipation and the smart angles he takes, combined with decent foot speed, not great, often have him causing fits for opponents, but those things cannot be found on the stat sheet at the end of the night

You're not wrong. He's not a bad skater.

He absolutely maximizes his IQ and hands to make use of his abilities despite being slightly slow. To me, he's just not a plus skater (Where as a guy like Bjork clearly is but isn't ready mentally/physically for the NHL). My original comment was to point out how good he is without being a great skater. If he were faster he'd give every defender fits with his hands and underrated shot.

Speed helps every player on the ice. Just because Heinen is on the slower end compared to most guys on the team doesn't make him a bad player at all in my opinion. But I can see why people would be hard on him if he's out there chasing all game on his bad days and barely touching the puck.

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
doesn`t surprise me, many would have a newbie to the boards thinking the answer to all scoring woes is sitting in Providence in Cehlarik

To this point The answer certainly hasn’t been the bottom 9. Scary stuff. Not saying Cehlairk is the answer but wouldn’t hurt to try. Heinen has looked more dangerous latterly. Good to see.

Reactions: sarge88

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I feel like he is forging a spot on the team for himself, would be nice if his production was higher but he is playing solid hockey anyway.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Another very good game

180 different player than 1 month ago

Playing great hockey

I’d probably keep him on third line for good and 2nd PP

Admit I was worried a month ago wondering what the he’ll happened to this guy but he’s playing even better than last year last half dozen games

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Heinen is a very meek player, like Loui. He had absolutely no response when someone gave him a face wash after a whistle. It was kind of weird to watch actually. I wonder what Cassidy thought of that.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I think whether he is playing better or not ..the guy isn't producing. The minute I think maybe he's going turn it on now...he doesn't. Many excuses were brought forth as he isn't playing well because DK wasn't feeding him . DK is now as we know on the first line and doing very well..thank you.
As I mentioned I was at the Bell Centre on Monday night and he just wasn't noticeable.
This is my first post in Heinen in a while

Last edited:

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Heinen is a very meek player, like Loui. He had absolutely no response when someone gave him a face wash after a whistle. It was kind of weird to watch actually. I wonder what Cassidy thought of that.

I wondered too how that played with teammates. Granted they were on PP... but zero response from Heinen was disappointing.

Reactions: Blowfish

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

i would guess at that juncture of the game, cassidy was fine with heinen not pushing back. refs tend to call
the retaliation most times. of course, heinen is also not wired to be physically aggressive, so you accept that
because he does compete and does all the little things right. i think he's a really solid top 9 winger. and it
looks like he's getting a shot on the top line today - will be interesting to see how that goes.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I wish he was actually used on the PK. Good stick and always seems to get in shooting lanes. Good role player in the making, but I'm not sure he makes it here if you're going to lean on his goal scoring and offense.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He's doing what the coaching staff says. They seem to have his role on that line defined. I saw him in front of the goalie everytime they scored. He's bound to get going soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: nords1995

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He's doing what the coaching staff says. They seem to have his role on that line difined. I saw him in front of the goalie everytime they scored. He's bound to get going soon.
I think what`s needed most for Heinen is a consistent/constant line to play with. I understand with all the injuries it`s been tough but I think he has the smarts and solid skill to play with anyone in the top 6. Despite what some may think, it`s not like you can just plug anyone beside Bergy or Krejci for that matter and they`ll perform, those guys think the game different than most and it takes a certain kind of player to slide in there and be successful.

I`d leave Heinen with Bergy for the remaining games prior to the Christmas break

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I think what`s needed most for Heinen is a consistent/constant line to play with. I understand with all the injuries it`s been tough but I think he has the smarts and solid skill to play with anyone in the top 6. Despite what some may think, it`s not like you can just plug anyone beside Bergy or Krejci for that matter and they`ll perform, those guys think the game different than most and it takes a certain kind of player to slide in there and be successful.

I`d leave Heinen with Bergy for the remaining games prior to the Christmas break
Its hard to get comfortable being on a different line every game. Bergeron and Marchand have played together for so long that its different and difficult to mesh with them after only one game. He was always next to the goal mouth everytime. it's not like he was off on the boards and not part of the play.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Its hard to get comfortable being on a different line every game. Bergeron and Marchand have played together for so long that its different and difficult to mesh with them after only one game.

agreed, I`ve never played at this elite level but it`s not easy to understand the numerous advantages playing alongside someone consistently has. You get to know their tendencies, you get to know their strengths and weaknesses and adjust your game to assimilate with theirs.

Heinen is one of my fav Bruins, I`m pretty vocal about it, but I appreciate the boring stuff he does without the puck on his stick that can`t be measured on the stat sheet.

IF he finds consistent linemates, I could see him posting some numbers again. With the start he`s had offensively, he won`t put as many pts up but he`ll be fine

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Looks a lot stronger and a bit faster lately. Marchand recently described him as a big body, strong on the puck type player. I'm starting to see it too. He can really hang on to the puck. I can see him breaking 70 points at some point in his career, probably averaging 55-60 in his prime.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Looks a lot stronger and a bit faster lately. Marchand recently described him as a big body, strong on the puck type player. I'm starting to see it too. He can really hang on to the puck. I can see him breaking 70 points at some point in his career, probably averaging 55-60 in his prime.
Marchand must see something I don’t,big body and strong on the puck aren’t words I would use to describe him.He is an all right player,third line I think is his place,he has had plenty of opportunities to play on the first two lines ,just don’t think it’s going to happen.Keep him trade him really could care less.

Reactions: sarge88 and TCB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->