Confirmed with Link: Danton Heinen | 1 year $1.1m

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Seems to me the Pens are being smart and patient and have put the team in a position where they could go into the season with the team as currently constructed without it being a disaster but could also make a couple of moves (Zucker and Petts, maybe Jarry) to really improve the team if the right situation arises. Given where the team was heading into the off season and some of the absurd contracts given out so far I think they are in about as good of a position as I could have hoped.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Simon literally won't even be on the NHL team. Who are the Penguins going to waive to put him on the team?

That's the thing you're ignoring. He's so far down the depth chart that it would take multiple injuries for him to even get on the big league team. He's not a NHL player anymore, and they signed him to a 2-way contract and explicitly said that he's not a guarantee to make the NHL team.

Friendly bet? Simon makes the opening day roster and over the course of the season plays roughly 30% of his time on Sid's RW?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
These signings make a lot of sense IF a decent sized trade is coming. I think MP or Zucker gets moved this summer.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Whatever signing. 4th line fodder preventing any young players getting into the lineup

Won't be saying this when the injuries decimate the team...

Like that is going to just stop happening this year?

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
You must be youngen or have a short memory or something, but we'd be lucky to have Fedotenko. He'd increase the balls quotient significantly in our current forward group, and actually showed up in the playoffs.

Pepperidge Farms remembers when Feds broke his hand on Colby Armstrong's chin after absolutely dropping the guy

Reactions: Gurglesons

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm happy with this one. Mentioned him a lot. Him and McGinn are good adds. Makes the team stronger defensively.
I'm pleased too. McCann and Tanev were good defensively last year, so these are good replacements for that at a lower cost. This bodes well for our PK..which we really needed help with. A new PK coach is in order as well. He was a weakness.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I think the lineup right now is:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen
McGinn-Carter-Heinen
ZAR-Blueger-Rodrigues

Which really doesn't look bad to me.
Looks a lot worse without Malkin. I have a bad feeling he'll miss like 40 games this year. Hopefully I'm wrong.

That being said there's a lot of room for improvement with our goaltending, and I feel both are capable of playing better than last year. So there's room to compensate for a worse lineup than last season.

Another consideration is that we didn't have Carter for most of the season though, so we get that privilege this time.
I would move Blueger up even when we're fully healthy down the middle, which I'm sure will only be a small portion of the games. Feel he's wasted as 4C. Use him as a left winger and give him more minutes. He has more to give.

Let ERod be 4C..maybe even Zahorna if he gets comfortable with it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Looks a lot worse without Malkin. I have a bad feeling he'll miss like 40 games this year. Hopefully I'm wrong.

That being said there's a lot of room for improvement with our goaltending, and I feel both are capable of playing better than last year. So there's room to compensate for a worse lineup than last season.

Another consideration is that we didn't have Carter for most of the season though, so we get that privilege this time.
I would move Blueger up even when we're fully healthy down the middle, which I'm sure will only be a small portion of the games. Feel he's wasted as 4C. Use him as a left winger and give him more minutes. He has more to give.

Let ERod be 4C..maybe even Zahorna if he gets comfortable with it.

Honestly I'm still fine with it even without Malkin. It's obviously not cup caliber, but you just need to survive until Malkin gets back.

I imagine they'll have something like:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Carter-Kapanen
ZAR-Blueger-McGinn
Zohorna-Rodrigues-Heinen

That's not a lineup you'll win a cup with of course, but it's certainly fine enough to survive with.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Honestly I'm still fine with it even without Malkin. It's obviously not cup caliber, but you just need to survive until Malkin gets back.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Carter-Kapanen
ZAR-Blueger-McGinn
Zohorna-Rodrigues-Heinen

That's not a lineup you'll win a cup with of course, but it's certainly fine enough to survive with.

it’s not even Cup caliber unless we get 2012 Geno back and hope Jarry turns into Binnington circa 2019…

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Carter-Kapanen
ZAR-Blueger-McGinn
Zohorna-Rodrigues-Heinen

Especially when the two teams I was expecting to improve in our division acquired….

Reaves, Nemeth and Goodrow

and….

Jones, Risto and Yandle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad