Confirmed with Link: Danton Heinen | 1 year $1.1m

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I think there's a bit of a difference between "undersized perimeter guys" and "undersized but play a gritty game and go to the hard areas". IMO, we have too many of the former, while a lot of those guys you listed above fall under the latter category.

For example, Matt Cooke is "undersized". Chris Kunitz is probably a bit "undersized". But I think adding a prime Chris Kunitz and Matt Cooke (minus the headshots) would be considered a step in the right direction in terms of adding more gritty, physically capable wingers, even if neither address the sub 6'0 and sub 200 lbs. issue.

Amen.

To cite another example, Jason Zucker and Evan Rodrigues (who seem like the same hockey player separated by about 5m bucks these days to me) are both bigger than Dino Ciccarelli.

This idea that the recent cup-winning teams won with speed is a fallacy. Some of them were fast, yes, but the defining thing about those teams was they had big brass balls. They forechecked like demons and won footraces because they never stopped working, and weren't afraid to get hit all day and laugh in your face. Most important, they were tough enough to take it and keep on playing.

This current crop of forwards either can't take the hits, like Jake and Zucker, or just flat out avoids contact, like Rust and Kapanen most of the time. That mix of guys is always going to wilt in the playoffs.

Jake can't be your toughest forward and the only one who will go to the net with any regularity. Geno Malkin can't be your team enforcer. I mean, this stuff is obvious, right?

There's no easy fix for it, but they need to make some hockey trades, that's for sure.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Right now, he's on pace for about 25 goals and 16 assists. Which would almost match his career best from his first full season Boston in terms of points, but almost double his goals. And that is in roughly 3 minutes less TOI on average, every night.

I'm sure his numbers will tail off a little bit, but if he reaches anywhere near the 20 goal mark, I've got no problem extending him for a few more years, at 1.5-2M per. He plays hard, he has hands, and he fits well here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad