Confirmed with Link: Danton Heinen | 1 year $1.1m

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yea, I remember reading his threads on the Bruins board. There wasn't a lot of middle ground on him. I talked to a friend last night that's a Bruins fan (He liked Heinen), and he said that first season in Boston he was always the first one they used for injury spot duty.

Some reads, if you're up to it:

News Article: - “Why Did Bruins Fans Dislike Danton Heinen So Much?”

Confirmed with Link: - Danton Heinen Traded For Nick Ritchie

As Robespierre famously said, "Is it Danton you regret? ... Cowards! Why didn't you defend him?"

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Like the cap hit. Like the term. Like getting a playmaking winger for the bottom 6, especially if he ends up with Carter.

Don't like he seems to be another sub 200lb perimeter player.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
We are down to like $2.5 mil in cap and still have to overpay, I mean re-sign ZAR. Hextall won’t trade draft picks, and we aren’t oozing with prospects.

I think the only chance we have at upgrading goalie is if Fleury basically forces Chicago to trade him here. We can’t seem to trust sleepy to find a goalie.

Plus, it seems like most of the goalies are signed or were traded to new teams.
Thing is, I doubt Chicago would eat salary to send him to us. They'd rather let him sit at home. And they aren't going to pay assets to a third team to eat salary. So we are going to have to send something of marginal value to CHI and then pay another team, looking at you BUF, for 50% retention. Think they would retain 50% on Fleury for Pettersson, straight up? That ends up being 7.5M for one year of Pettersson, and 4m after, which doesn't look all that great.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Looking to not be a perimeter team.

That's fair, but I feel like if Heinen was also an over 200 lbs physical player, there's not a chance in hell he would have been available :laugh:

I can't even think of an example of a defensively strong, playmaking winger with size and physicality off the top of my head.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That's fair, but I feel like if Heinen was also an over 200 lbs physical player, there's not a chance in hell he would have been available :laugh:

I can't even think of an example of a defensively strong, playmaking winger with size and physicality off the top of my head.
You're not going to get a guy who's all those things in 1 player. If you do, you better never let him go.

But they have a bunch of guys like Heinen already. They need to add other elements to their winger group. McGinn was a step in the right direction, but really only replaced Tanev. They needed more of that even with Tanev.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

On the 4th line to boot.

I'm not super into Heinen at all, but I think if we're looking for the above in our bottom 6, it's probably going to come from a kid like Hallander making a case for themselves in WB/S.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You're not going to get a guy who's all those things in 1 player. If you do, you better never let him go.

But they have a bunch of guys like Heinen already. They need to add other elements to their winger group. McGinn was a step in the right direction, but really only replaced Tanev. They needed more of that even with Tanev.

Eh, I don't agree with this. This team desperately lacked playmaking talent on the wings and I think Heinen brings that way more than any other of their bottom-6 wingers. I wouldn't have signed ERod had I known that they also would have signed Heinen, but I'm also fine with having ERod as the 13th forward.

I think Heinen to the 3rd line was a necessary and good addition. If we want to add physicality or something along those lines, I think it should come out of either the top-6 winger group or the 4th line. Heinen-Carter-McGinn looks like a hell of a 3rd line to me.

IMO the easiest option to get that element of physicality would either be Zucker for a more physical LWer for Malkin and playing Angello on the 4th line over ERod. I'd also advocate for trading ZAR for a more physical option too.

Reactions: StaalForOne

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Eh, I don't agree with this. This team desperately lacked playmaking talent on the wings and I think Heinen brings that way more than any other of their bottom-6 wingers. I wouldn't have signed ERod had I known that they also would have signed Heinen, but I'm also fine with having ERod as the 13th forward.

I think Heinen to the 3rd line was a necessary and good addition. If we want to add physicality or something along those lines, I think it should come out of either the top-6 winger group or the 4th line. Heinen-Carter-McGinn looks like a hell of a 3rd line to me.

IMO the easiest option to get that element of physicality would either be Zucker for a more physical LWer for Malkin and playing Angello on the 4th line over ERod. I'd also advocate for trading ZAR for a more physical option too.
Their winger group as a whole are all too similar. Sure, Guentzel has more skill, Kap is faster, McGinn is more physical, but they are just different shades of gray.

It's nothing against Heinen or even the signing considering how cheap he is. But changing up the mix was the second top priority for me going into this offseason behind goalie. Nothing they've done so far has addressed that or the goalie situation for that matter. Nothing Hextall has done is 'bad'. I just hope there's more to come than this tinkering around the edges.

I'd be shopping all of Rust, Zucker, and ZAR (and Petts) to see what shakes loose. Guentzel wouldn't be off the table either.

Reactions: AjaxTelamon

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Thing is, I doubt Chicago would eat salary to send him to us. They'd rather let him sit at home. And they aren't going to pay assets to a third team to eat salary. So we are going to have to send something of marginal value to CHI and then pay another team, looking at you BUF, for 50% retention. Think they would retain 50% on Fleury for Pettersson, straight up? That ends up being 7.5M for one year of Pettersson, and 4m after, which doesn't look all that great.

I'm not sure Chicago would rather take a 7m cap hit just to stay at home rather than trying to get something out of it. It's a big bite out of their ability to be competitive this year and poor asset management.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Their winger group as a whole are all too similar. Sure, Guentzel has more skill, Kap is faster, McGinn is more physical, but they are just different shades of gray.

It's nothing against Heinen or even the signing considering how cheap he is. But changing up the mix was the second top priority for me going into this offseason behind goalie. Nothing they've done so far has addressed that or the goalie situation for that matter. Nothing Hextall has done is 'bad'. I just hope there's more to come than this tinkering around the edges.

I'd be shopping all of Rust, Zucker, and ZAR (and Petts) to see what shakes loose. Guentzel wouldn't be off the table either.

Palat - Point - Kucherov
Killorn - Cirelli - Stamkos
Coleman - Gourde - Goodrow
Maroon - Johnson - Joseph

Is this line up not too similar as well? Cirelli, Gourde, Johnson, Point, Kucherov. You have a ton of undersized skill guy that are solid two way forwards.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Palat - Point - Kucherov

Is this line up not too similar as well? Cirelli, Gourde, Johnson, Point, Kucherov. You have a ton of undersized skill guy that are solid two way forwards.
I'd say they have a pretty good mix of elite skill (Kucherov, Stamkos), physicality (Killorn, Coleman, Goodrow, Maroon), and a little bit of everything (Palat) on the wings. They are small, though, I'll give you that.

They've also got some big boys in their top 4 and arguably the best goalie in the NHL, though...which the Pens don't have either.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'd say they have a pretty good mix of elite skill (Kucherov, Stamkos), physicality (Killorn, Coleman, Goodrow, Maroon), and a little bit of everything (Palat) on the wings. They are small, though, I'll give you that.

They've also got some big boys in their top 4 and arguably the best goalie in the NHL, though...which the Pens don't have either.

I agree to an extent, but I guess I just don't view Killorn, Coleman, and Goodrow as much different from Kapanen, Zucker, and McGinn.

Goodrow has the size difference, but the top nine make-up seems pretty similar and I like Maroon, but he's not really much of anything.

Obviously the age gap between Kucherov, Point, and Stammer versus Guentzel, Crosby, and Malkin is the big issue..

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think ERod is a better offensive player than Heinen so I’m not sure where someone is saying Heinen is a better talent on the wing in the bottom six than anything else we have…

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'm not sure Chicago would rather take a 7m cap hit just to stay at home rather than trying to get something out of it. It's a big bite out of their ability to be competitive this year and poor asset management.
If Fleury doesn't report, I don't think the contract hits their cap.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Palat - Point - Kucherov

I think there's a bit of a difference between "undersized perimeter guys" and "undersized but play a gritty game and go to the hard areas". IMO, we have too many of the former, while a lot of those guys you listed above fall under the latter category.

For example, Matt Cooke is "undersized". Chris Kunitz is probably a bit "undersized". But I think adding a prime Chris Kunitz and Matt Cooke (minus the headshots) would be considered a step in the right direction in terms of adding more gritty, physically capable wingers, even if neither address the sub 6'0 and sub 200 lbs. issue.

Reactions: Gurglesons and Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think there's a bit of a difference between "undersized perimeter guys" and "undersized but play a gritty game and go to the hard areas". IMO, we have too many of the former, while a lot of those guys you listed above fall under the latter category.

For example, Matt Cooke is "undersized". Chris Kunitz is probably a bit "undersized". But I think adding a prime Chris Kunitz and Matt Cooke (minus the headshots) would be considered a step in the right direction in terms of adding more gritty, physically capable wingers, even if neither address the sub 6'0 and sub 200 lbs. issue.

Fair. Although Cirelli and TJ don’t strike me as such and Point reminds me of Guentzel tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad