Waived: Dano on waivers (Mod: Claimed by the Avs)

Will Dano clear waivers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
Sad to see him gone but for whatever reason Maurice has no time for him. Still think this is a sub par move from an asset management stand point. Lemieux sitting in the PB really isn't helping his devwlopment at all.
Maybe not.
Still...Lemieux must see that the Jets are giving him a chance to play in the bigs this year.
I think a vote of confidence to a player is really important at some point.

Reactions: voyageur

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Goodbye Stanley Cup. We would be lucky to make the playoffs now.
Totally agree! Loosing a marginal player whose impact with the team amounted to pretty much zero is going to keep the Jets out of the playoffs. Or were you joking? Sorry if I missed it.

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
If Dano was shipped out to give ice time to Petan... then that boy had better step up... now..

Regular Season Comparison

ScoringGoalsPer GamePoint SharesAdjusted
PlayerTmPosFromToActiveGPGAPTS+/-PIMEVPPSHGWSS%TOIGAPTSSOPSDPSPSGAPTS
Marko DanoTOTC201420184130192645340172032049.314520.150.200.351.573.11.64.7202848
Nic PetanWPGLW/C2015201839551621-11285001985.110200.050.170.221.030.00.50.551722
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
yah...you wanna look at stats?

Let's take away that only good part that Dano had...that early success with Columbus..what are you left with?

Dano 2015 to 2018 95 games 11 G 13 A 24 PTS
Petan 2015 to 2018 95 games 5G 16A 21PTS

That advantage that Dano had doesn't look as impressive now.
I still think Petan will pass him.

Lemieux too.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
If Armia and Dano are on Stempniak trajectories, then we'll enjoy predicting which team he'll sign a PTO for each training camp.

Can we censor his name from this forum going forward?

Plus.... De Leo has 4 points in his first A.H.L games this year for the Gulls.

Patty Cormier ... Former Moose Captain has 14 points in 15 KHL games this year.

Melichiori Has 2 points in his first 4 AHL games for Florida.

Kosmo-chuck has 1 point in 4 AHL games but is getting a guaranteed $250 k on his AHL side of his contract with Arizona.

Edit
Tim Stapleton has 9 points in 8 games with Del ( Germany) and the Jets 2.0 most famous ( He will not clear waivers guy) ..... Spencer Machecek has 4 points in 11 games with Grizzly Adam's Del leagye

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Armia is 25 years old and costs twice as much as Petan, Lemieux or Vesalainen. He might score 15 goals with the Habs, but he wouldn't get the same opportunities with the Jets. Dano might also prosper on a thin Avs forward group. But it's hard to argue that he deserved a roster spot over younger players on ELCs who will need experience to step into prominent roles in the next year or two. At this stage of the Jets' organizational development, we need to assess them based on their performance, and the performance of the players they've acquired and kept.

If either of them spark another years-long Stempniak-type campaign, I might be forced to reluctantly use this...
ignore-button.png
;)

I agree with you that at this stage of the Jets, players need to be assessed based on performance and how much they help the team now. Yet, here we stand with KV being in the lineup and Dano waived when most people here would agree that Dano had a better camp...

And there was never a "years long Stempniak campaign". Some of us talked about him during the 15-16 season when he was lighting it up (which is completely natural) but since then he is barely talked about. I would wager he is not talked about any more than other former Jets like Ladd or Kane, however some here treat his name like Lord Voldemort's and act like there has been some kind of disturbance in the force when he is brought up. ;)

Reactions: Board Bard

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yes, in a backhanded sort of a way. I know what you think of Vesalainen being here but I can't see any sense to it at all, try as I might. He is so utterly clearly not ready that I cannot believe it is even remotely possible that Maurice believes that he is capable of contributing more to winning - today - than Dano is, or Lemieux or Petan.

I think they realized after last year that the team makeup just wasn't right. So, no Cup run this year, says management, this is going to be another development year. Gotta live with the growing pains of Roslo and KV and Lemmy. I keep trying to tell people that...

giphy.gif

:DD

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
Small correction... Jets have 40 players under contract, as far as I can tell.

23 in the NHL...

9 forwards: Suess, Harkins, Spacek, Appleton, McKenzie, Kerdiles, Griffith, Everberg, Lipon
6 defense: Stanley, Niku, Poolman, Nogier, Schilling, Green
2 goalies: Comrie, Berdin

Others "in the system":

NCAA --- Samberg, Kovacevic, Evingson...
Europe --- Gustafsson, Virtanen, Holm...
USHL / CHL / other junior --- Chisholm, Vallati, Smith, Gawanke, Moe, Wong...

Anyone know the status of Cederholm? I don't think he has an NHL contract, but is he on the Moose roster?
I thought Cederholm was on an AHL contract.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Possible that Dano may have requested a trade long ago, and it finally came to him requesting to be waived?

Otherwise it’s poor asset management and we got burned by exposing him to waivers.

Reactions: blues10

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
All this talk about a lost asset. Dano wasn't much of an asset any longer. He was at the point where no team was even willing to part with so much as a 7th round pick for him, and 14 teams that failed to make the playoffs last season didn't see him as an upgrade on even the weakest player on their roster. Sometimes cupboards need to be cleaned out, even if you feel there is still a little room left for the "asset" you have no intention of using. If Dano is already at #15 forward with a guy or 2 on the Moose who likely will get a look before you go to him it is time to move on. Every season bottom of the roster guys move in and out and the vast majority have next to no impact on the big picture.

With all this doom and gloom about lost assets. How about some excitement about found assets? Brosoitt a free asset this summer was met with piss and moans by just about everyone and is turning out to be a very important free asset add at NHL minimum and still an RFA to boot. He is actually a pickup that can make a real impact on the big picture.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
All this talk about a lost asset. Dano wasn't much of an asset any longer. He was at the point where no team was even willing to part with so much as a 7th round pick for him, and 14 teams that failed to make the playoffs last season didn't see him as an upgrade on even the weakest player on their roster. Sometimes cupboards need to be cleaned out, even if you feel there is still a little room left for the "asset" you have no intention of using. If Dano is already at #15 forward with a guy or 2 on the Moose who likely will get a look before you go to him it is time to move on. Every season bottom of the roster guys move in and out and the vast majority have next to no impact on the big picture.

With all this doom and gloom about lost assets. How about some excitement about found assets? Brosoitt a free asset this summer was met with piss and moans by just about everyone and is turning out to be a very important free asset add at NHL minimum and still an RFA to boot. He is actually a pickup that can make a real impact on the big picture.

Armia and Dano for Brossoitt :D

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I hope he gets a really good chance in Colorado, it's probably one of the best opportunities he'll ever have right now, could potentially show his truest colours and hit his ceiling.

Kind of wish we exposed him to the Vegas Golden Knights. Can't really wish the trade never happened because it looks as Vegas has lost that trade.

Winnipeg 1st = Nick Suzuki - Traded to Montreal for Pacioretty
2019 3rd

Columbus 1st (via Vegas) = Kristian Vesalainen

I also like to think right now we lost Stastny in the expansion draft to Vegas.

Last edited:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
That Ladd deal sure isn’t aging well, is it? Now it’s rental Ladd for prospect with #6/#7D upside.

Oh and I guess we got some good use out of Dano when all was said and done /sarcasm. What, maybe 500 minutes worth of poorly utilized regular season ice time?

It’s hardly horrible by rental standards, but it’s not exactly the windfall that we originally thought it was back in February 2016.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I hope he gets a really good chance in Colorado, it's probably one of the best opportunities he'll ever have right now, could potentially show his truest colours and hit his ceiling.

Kind of wish we exposed him to the Vegas Golden Knights. Can't really wish the trade never happened because it looks as Vegas has lost that trade.

Winnipeg 1st = Nick Suzuki - Traded to Montreal for Pacioretty
2019 3rd

Columbus 1st (via Vegas) = Kristian Vesalainen

I also like to think right now we lost Stastny in the expansion draft to Vegas.

We did expose Dano to Vegas. I’m guessing he’s the guy Vegas would have taken had Chevy not “paid” them to take Thorburn.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
That Ladd deal sure isn’t aging well, is it? Now it’s rental Ladd for prospect with #6/#7D upside.

Oh and I guess we got some good use out of Dano when all was said and done /sarcasm. What, maybe 500 minutes worth of poorly utilized regular season ice time?

It’s hardly horrible by rental standards, but it’s not exactly the windfall that we originally thought it was back in February 2016.

It's not like Ladd is aging well, either

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Good analogy to the bolded! Even old cans of beans need to get tossed out of the cupboards sometimes.

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I'd rather have the prospect over Ladd and his contract. And just maybe his upside is higher than some believe.

Reactions: snowkiddin

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

It was the best deal we could get for him. We still won that trade, as Chicago has nothing left to show for it.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
It was the best deal we could get for him. We still won that trade, as Chicago has nothing left to show for it.

It's not like Ladd is aging well, either

I'd rather have the prospect over Ladd and his contract. And just maybe his upside is higher than some believe.

Like I said, it’s hardly a bad deal even now. It’s just not shaping up like the haul it once was, mainly because we effectively wasted a key part of the deal.

Arguably wasted the principal part of the deal as well, but that’s for a different thread. @KingBogo, 6/7 upside is actually more complementary than I’ve ever been about Stanley, I don’t see that as an insult at all (backhanded compliment, sure).

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

I think having a guy that can sit in the press box all year is a valuable asset. Especially if it means we don't have to use younger players to just sit there. They can develop in the AHL instead of stalling their development. Assets aren't just players that will return draft picks imo. Chiapet would be a great asset if he was in the press box lol.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

We would’ve lost Ladd for nothing anyway, and with the contract he got that would’ve actually had been a blessing. And it’s not like the trade worked that well for Chicago neither.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think having a guy that can sit in the press box all year is a valuable asset. Especially if it means we don't have to use younger players to just sit there. They can develop in the AHL instead of stalling their development. Assets aren't just players that will return draft picks imo. Chiapet would be a great asset if he was in the press box lol.
But that is pretty much what Maurice said about waiving Dano. That he was too young just to sit in the PB and he deserved a chance to play. If the Jets believed he had dropped so down their depth chart there was no reasonable chance to get NHL action with the team and there were no takers in a trade, your options are to continue hoarding him in the PB or waive him and get him playing time in the A or lose him to another team. They choose the 2nd option.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Like I said, it’s hardly a bad deal even now. It’s just not shaping up like the haul it once was, mainly because we effectively wasted a key part of the deal.

Arguably wasted the principal part of the deal as well, but that’s for a different thread. @KingBogo, 6/7 upside is actually more complementary than I’ve ever been about Stanley, I don’t see that as an insult at all (backhanded compliment, sure).
How about I raise you a level of optimism and see him as a steady #5 whose size and mean streak comes in handy every once in awhile.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Well if you want to talk about big picture, one of our division rivals has already parlayed that thinking into useable assets (Nieto, Andrighetto), and could well do it again. At minimum, we gave a division rival an opportunity to improve at the cost of nothing.

Seems to me the sensible thing was to hold on to Dano if for no other reason than depth. I could get behind your case more if we didn’t have a lost kid (#93) who got a taste of NHL action and who now would benefit greatly from being sent down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad