Waived: Dano on waivers (Mod: Claimed by the Avs)

Will Dano clear waivers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not sure if we needed it right now, but at least we have almost 6 million in projected cap space, and only 39 players under contract. We'll need that cap space in the near future for sure, but can't see us approaching the 50 players under contract too soon.

I'm not against letting Dano go, but just didn't like the fact that he wasn't given any chance to prove himself one more time, yet we're playing Ves game in game out when he really should be earning his playing time at the AHL level.
Small correction... Jets have 40 players under contract, as far as I can tell.

23 in the NHL...

9 forwards: Suess, Harkins, Spacek, Appleton, McKenzie, Kerdiles, Griffith, Everberg, Lipon
6 defense: Stanley, Niku, Poolman, Nogier, Schilling, Green
2 goalies: Comrie, Berdin

Others "in the system":

NCAA --- Samberg, Kovacevic, Evingson...
Europe --- Gustafsson, Virtanen, Holm...
USHL / CHL / other junior --- Chisholm, Vallati, Smith, Gawanke, Moe, Wong...

Anyone know the status of Cederholm? I don't think he has an NHL contract, but is he on the Moose roster?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't believe that is a threat as he has an NHL contract and any deal he signed in the NHL would be a loan deal and his NHL deal would supersede it. I still don't like him being up here as like you I don't feel this is helping his development at all.

I thought KHL was different since there is no agreement between NHL/KHL. I suppose having signed and not being an RFA would rule it out though. In that case, I'm back to being completely unable to see it. :huh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I thought KHL was different since there is no agreement between NHL/KHL. I suppose having signed and not being an RFA would rule it out though. In that case, I'm back to being completely unable to see it. :huh:

There is no transfer agreement but I believe both leagues have an understanding with regards to respecting each other's contracts.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Guess we lost Dano for free :cry:
I guess these are the problems you face when you have too many good wingers
We definitely should have sent Lemieux down instead
(unless Dano requested a trade or something)

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I have my money on both Dano and Armia scoring at a 15 or more goal pace (In Dano's case contingent on him getting the opportunity of course).

They are going to do the same thing to Petan, I can already tell. It's sad to watch. We might have a double or triple Stempniak situation on our hands.

And the Jets have guys with upside to replace Armia and Dano, Lemieux, Appleton, Spacek....

Lemieux, Appleton and Spacek are prospects. Armia and Dano are proven legit NHL players.

Reactions: 204hockey

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes, in a backhanded sort of a way. I know what you think of Vesalainen being here but I can't see any sense to it at all, try as I might. He is so utterly clearly not ready that I cannot believe it is even remotely possible that Maurice believes that he is capable of contributing more to winning - today - than Dano is, or Lemieux or Petan.

The solution was to send KV down and insert Dano into the lineup to get him some games. Rotate him and Lemieux. Get Petan into that rotation when he is ready. Keep it up until one of them wins the job.

The only possible explanation I can see for how this has been handled this year is that they are afraid that if Vesalainen goes to the KHL he will stay there. I don't know if that is a realistic concern or not. But I can see the possibility. As a Finn playing for Jokerit he might be able to win a big enough contract to keep him there. He would also have potential to bring in endorsement/sponsorship money.

Think I'll go with that since nothing else fits, that I can see.
I think they are getting a bit of a look with KV. They are next going to get a look at Lemieux. I think there's a good chance that KV gets his 9 games (including the games in Finland), and then spends a good portion of the season with the Moose or in a European league. The main problem isn't that he would "stay" in the KHL, it's that he might not be available then for a playoff run this season.

By the way, I think it's really difficult to assess his play with the limited ice-time he's received. It would be hard for any player to show much with so little ice time.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have my money on both Dano and Armia scoring at a 15 or more goal pace (In Dano's case contingent on him getting the opportunity of course).

They are going to do the same thing to Petan, I can already tell. It's sad to watch. We might have a double or triple Stempniak situation on our hands.

Lemieux, Appleton and Spacek are prospects. Armia and Dani are proven legit NHL players.
Armia is 25 years old and costs twice as much as Petan, Lemieux or Vesalainen. He might score 15 goals with the Habs, but he wouldn't get the same opportunities with the Jets. Dano might also prosper on a thin Avs forward group. But it's hard to argue that he deserved a roster spot over younger players on ELCs who will need experience to step into prominent roles in the next year or two. At this stage of the Jets' organizational development, we need to assess them based on their performance, and the performance of the players they've acquired and kept.

If either of them spark another years-long Stempniak-type campaign, I might be forced to reluctantly use this...
ignore-button.png
;)

Reactions: The Big M

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think they are getting a bit of a look with KV. They are next going to get a look at Lemieux. I think there's a good chance that KV gets his 9 games (including the games in Finland), and then spends a good portion of the season with the Moose or in a European league. The main problem isn't that he would "stay" in the KHL, it's that he might not be available then for a playoff run this season.

By the way, I think it's really difficult to assess his play with the limited ice-time he's received. It would be hard for any player to show much with so little ice time.

Well to be fair very few people were willing to use lack of ice time as an excuse for Petan when he was playing limited minutes I'll be it with inferior linemates. As it was with Petan playing limited minutes is not a good way to develop a player. I've seen it far too many times with promising young players who have had their development stalled this way.

Reactions: DashingDane

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg

Lemieux, Appleton and Spacek are prospects. Armia and Dano are proven legit NHL players.

Does someone pay you for every Stempniak mention? If so, how does a person get on this type of program?

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Small correction... Jets have 40 players under contract, as far as I can tell.

23 in the NHL...

9 forwards: Suess, Harkins, Spacek, Appleton, McKenzie, Kerdiles, Griffith, Everberg, Lipon
6 defense: Stanley, Niku, Poolman, Nogier, Schilling, Green
2 goalies: Comrie, Berdin

Others "in the system":

NCAA --- Samberg, Kovacevic, Evingson...
Europe --- Gustafsson, Virtanen, Holm...
USHL / CHL / other junior --- Chisholm, Vallati, Smith, Gawanke, Moe, Wong...

Anyone know the status of Cederholm? I don't think he has an NHL contract, but is he on the Moose roster?
Yep, your roster agrees with CapFriendly, but they still indicate 39 (should be 40)

Show 16 on their reserve list including Cedarholm, Kraskovsky, Niculin & Telegin. Interesting how few wingers on reserve list -- 8 are D & 4 C.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Yep, your roster agrees with CapFriendly, but they still indicate 39 (should be 40)

Show 16 on their reserve list including Cedarholm, Kraskovsky, Niculin & Telegin

Vesalainen's contract doesn't count until he hits 10 games. For now he's exempt so that's why 40 contracts is actually 39.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Does someone pay you for every Stempniak mention? If so, how does a person get on this type of program?

If Armia and Dano are on Stempniak trajectories, then we'll enjoy predicting which team he'll sign a PTO for each training camp.

Can we censor his name from this forum going forward?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
He likely wouldn't have played for the Jets this year unless we got 5 or so deep in injuries. K Ves is getting a look and I assume he'll get sent down before playing 10 games but they'll keep him on the roster through the Finland trip.

What'll end up happening is we'll send K-Ves down prior to the 10 game mark, injuries will occur & then we'll call him back up, he'll exceed the 10 game threshold & his contract won't slide.

This is exactly why he shouldn't be on the team now. Let him stew in the minors & then bring him up once he's a more polished player.

I think the math should go:

10 games of March 2019 K-Ves > 10 games of October 2018 K-Ves

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The KHL season ends well before the NHL playoffs. Not sure when their PO's end. That really shouldn't be much of a consideration - as long as we have Lemieux and Dan ...... oh.

Based on TC it shouldn't matter that we can't assess KV in limited TOI, because he shouldn't be here. Both Dano and Lemieux had far better TCs than he did, at least in the parts we could see - not to mention that they are much more 'developed' than he is. Both are actually capable of contributing, even in limited minutes.

I don't think it is that hard to assess his play in the limited TOI. I will concede that it is hard for him to excel in such little time. But he got more TOI in pre-season and did not show much. He showed potential but he did not show ready.

I saw all his goals last year. I'm as excited for him as anyone else is. I think he is going to be a great addition. Maybe even as soon as late this year, but more likely next year.

If we are going to be trading 1sts for rentals and paying to dump bad contracts in the name of "Win Now", why are we developing prospects in the NHL? Especially when we have prospects we have developed who are now ready to contribute.

Reactions: Board Bard

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
What'll end up happening is we'll send K-Ves down prior to the 10 game mark, injuries will occur & then we'll call him back up, he'll exceed the 10 game threshold & his contract won't slide.

This is exactly why he shouldn't be on the team now. Let him stew in the minors & then bring him up once he's a more polished players.

I think the math should go:

10 games of March 2019 K-Ves > 10 games of October 2018 K-Ves
KV will prob head back to Finland if he is sent down with under 10 games played....Not sure that is such a bad thing.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
KV will prob head back to Finland if he is sent down with under 10 games played....Not sure that is such a bad thing.

Nothing but idle speculation fuels this thought process.

We know that Niku had a Euro out clause. He stayed & played in the AHL.

We know that Vesalainen himself literally said "I plan to play in North America next season", last season.

That last point alone should speak for itself. But if we have to continue...

We know the best place for him to get acclimated to North America hockey, the Jets internal systems, form personal bonds & continue speaking English daily is by playing in the AHL. We also know the Jets highly regard him as is evident by the fact he's appeared in every regular season thus far.

We know Maurice has stated "at times this year the organization plans to run with a 22 man roster."

We know that Petan is waiver eligible. He's the 13th forward.

It appears that Lemieux is getting a long look & will be the 14th when running a 23 man roster.

Although it's certainly possible K-Ves returns to Finland, I'd suggest this possibility is small.

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

I'm not sure he will. Isn't Tolvanen in the AHL to start the season? I see a Roslo trajectory for Vesa where he acclimatizes quickly to the game in the AHL and then sticks with the Jets next time up. he seems to be a player who thrives on big minutes and tough assignments and he isn't going to get those with the Jets.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Quite fascinating how Niku comes over, wins Dman of the year in his first year in NA, can't supplant juggernauts such as Chiapet, Kulikov, Superstar Joe Morrow yet Vesa can do nothing in his time here and forces NHLr's to be given away.

I fear this org is going to screw this all up in spite of the talent we have.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
15-16 to 18-19 Points per 60 mins. @Marko_Dano 1.51. Joel Armia 1.46. Andrew Copp 1.34. Adam Lowry 1.32. Nic Petan 1.24. Brandon Tanev 1.02.

Idiotic decision. 2nd/3rd liner right now with still potential. This is how you end windows prematurately by making poor decisions on depth players. We've seen this story time and time again. The reason teams like Pittsburgh stay good is that they make good depth decisions, Chevy has done full on opposite.
Please list the players that Chevy has done this with (that have gone on to do anything).

Machacek? Klingberg?

I actually agree with you. Letting depth walk away when you have a non waiver eligible player in Lemieux and a guy who should not even be here (Vesalainen) is dumb. I would have kept Dano and at least sent Lemieux down.

You are way overplaying the significance and value of Marco Dano.

Reactions: 204hockey

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Well to be fair very few people were willing to use lack of ice time as an excuse for Petan when he was playing limited minutes I'll be it with inferior linemates. As it was with Petan playing limited minutes is not a good way to develop a player. I've seen it far too many times with promising young players who have had their development stalled this way.

Dont forget a lot of those mins were spent with thorburn and skilled talent like Mathias as well.

Reactions: The Big M

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Boy, after years of filling the cupboards, Chevy's sure clearing them out now...

I was thinking the exact same thing. Bad asset management. We continue to get thinner.
This is how the system brings the potentially great teams back to the pack, but, we didn’t have to play into it’s hands so easily this time. There were other options.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad