Waived: Dano on waivers (Mod: Claimed by the Avs)

Will Dano clear waivers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
But that is pretty much what Maurice said about waiving Dano. That he was too young just to sit in the PB and he deserved a chance to play. If the Jets believed he had dropped so down their depth chart there was no reasonable chance to get NHL action with the team and there were no takers in a trade, your options are to continue hoarding him in the PB or waive him and get him playing time in the A or lose him to another team. They choose the 2nd option.

I realize PoMo said that but I'd argue that if you believe in someone like Lemmy or K-Ves they shouldn't be sitting in the press box either, so if you don't see a future in Dano, he is actually perfect press box material. Sucks for him and hurts his career but I'd say it would be beneficial to the organization.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I realize PoMo said that but I'd argue that if you believe in someone like Lemmy or K-Ves they shouldn't be sitting in the press box either, so if you don't see a future in Dano, he is actually perfect press box material. Sucks for him and hurts his career but I'd say it would be beneficial to the organization.
I don't think Lemieux or KV will be sitting long. It looks like Lemieux will be going in Tomorrow and KV will be asked to watch and learn for a bit. I've believed all along that KV is most likely going back to Europe or possibly to the Moose after a 9 game NHL stint. I think now it will be Lemieux's chance at a handful of games, followed by Petan once he gets closer to game shape. I don't think anyone around the fringes will be served by long stretches in the PB.

Reactions: Flair Hay and GNP

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not great asset management IMO but Dano obviously did not fit in Maurice's plan. Of course we dont know what Montreal asked for this summer. Maybe Armia was a deal breaker.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well if you want to talk about big picture, one of our division rivals has already parlayed that thinking into useable assets (Nieto, Andrighetto), and could well do it again. At minimum, we gave a division rival an opportunity to improve at the cost of nothing.

Seems to me the sensible thing was to hold on to Dano if for no other reason than depth. I could get behind your case more if we didn’t have a lost kid (#93) who got a taste of NHL action and who now would benefit greatly from being sent down.
I think KV will soon be back in Europe or on the Moose. I think they are giving him the taste and a better idea on where he needs to grow his game.

Reactions: GNP

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not great asset management IMO but Dano obviously did not fit in Maurice's plan. Of course we dont know what Montreal asked for this summer. Maybe Armia was a deal breaker.
I'm guessing Montreal wanted a little more than Dano to buy out Mason's contract for the Jets. Montreal could have had Dano for nothing today and decided against it. Armia is what it took to take on Mason's contract. .

Reactions: Flair Hay

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I don't think Lemieux or KV will be sitting long. It looks like Lemieux will be going in Tomorrow and KV will be asked to watch and learn for a bit. I've believed all along that KV is most likely going back to Europe or possibly to the Moose after a 9 game NHL stint. I think now it will be Lemieux's chance at a handful of games, followed by Petan once he gets closer to game shape. I don't think anyone around the fringes will be served by long stretches in the PB.

I hope you are right! It's has to have success if you never get consistant playing time..

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I think once Lemieux is in, he stays in as a regular fixture on the 4th-
I think he's the spark the 4th needs and given the chance, he'll make the best of an opportunity.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Great for Dano. Seems like a good guy. Hope his career can move forward now
Well if it doesn't, and it's his fourth team that doesn't work out, then there is something we don't know about him and he could end up in KHL. I wish him all the best! Thought he had a good camp but I'm sure Chevy moved him to give him a last chance in the league as he wasn't in their plans.

Reactions: kellhunter

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think once Lemieux is in, he stays in as a regular fixture on the 4th-
I think he's the spark the 4th needs and given the chance, he'll make the best of an opportunity.
Hard to say with Lemieux. I feel like he is one of those players you can't get a real handle on. I think he will now get a few games in a row to show if he can be a regular. It will be interesting to see what he does with the opportunity.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Are we to believe Maurice when he says the Jet's really want to give Dano a chance to play in the NHL ?? I have to laugh when I read that.:laugh: The Jet's are concerned about "one thing', and that is the well being of their hockey club. They obviously thought they were OK with depth guys they like better than Dano, and wouldn't mind saving the $ $800,000 they would have to pay him. Why don't they be honest, and say he doesn't fit into their plans ?? I guess they want to look like "good guys" and have people believe their looking out for Dano's welfare ?? --when really their looking out for their own welfare--as they should be. Afterall hockey is a business $$$.

The Jet's have lost 2 cheap "depth players" in Armia and in Dano now, and I hope they stop leaking oil regarding this. They also lost a 1st round draft pick to get Statsny, so that's 3 players they could have right now. They are getting away from their draft and develop strategy, and trying to win it all with short term rentals, which I think is a mistake. Statsny for instance will be out for quite some time I just read, and I'm sure glad we didn't sign him. ( getting older and injury prone) We'll have enough to swallow with Little's contract, who looks to be slightly regressing. He'll still be a solid 3rd line guy though.

We have to think that it's very possible to have 2-3 forwards out at one time, and it sure be nice to have Dano around, as he looked so good this year in training camp. We could have saved him, and sent Vesa or Lemieux down, and not lost our "depth." This kind of thinking really bothers me. They should have sent Vesa to the Moose or back to Europe--he's clearly not ready, thus saving Dano.

This is not the end of the world by any means, as we finished with 114 points, and 2nd overall in the NHL last year-without Dano. What I am saying, is I'd like the Jets to now tighten up here, and save our depth guys in case we need them. I can see letting Armia go because it involved $4,000,000 bucs-"not chump change' ( to get rid of Mason)--and we got Brossoit because of that--who looks "fantastic: to me. That made Cents $$$ to let Joel go, as much as I hated to lose him.

BTW-- I'm sure the Jets will be happy to see Dano playing for the Av's and doing well, and would love to see him score 3 goals against the Jets --they would have then really helped the young man out. --which is why they put him on waivers-"to help out" his NHL career.-yeah !!!;)

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Hard to say with Lemieux. I feel like he is one of those players you can't get a real handle on. I think he will now get a few games in a row to show if he can be a regular. It will be interesting to see what he does with the opportunity.

He is a tough read.
I noticed something else in his game this preseason - more maturity, and he looks like he's evaluating the game better.
I like his blend of skill and grit - and I think he'll help drive play with whoever he on the ice with. He's also going to be tough to handle in traffic and he'll piss a lot of apposing players off.
If he stays out of trouble (big if), he has tons of upside - could easily be one of my favorite players if any of this comes to fruition

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Good to see Dano get a chance somewhere. Its clear Maurice wasnt a big fan, Copp and Tanev improved, Vesalainen is possibly in the mix all year, I could go on... hope he doesnt come back to haunt us too badly. I'm sure him going to a division for wasnt ideal for Chevy lol

Reactions: JetsFan815 and GNP

folix

Jul 24, 2011
His mom is pretty hot.....so there's that.

I hope he does well in Colorado. Seems like a good kid.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He is a tough read.
I noticed something else in his game this preseason - more maturity, and he looks like he's evaluating the game better.
I like his blend of skill and grit - and I think he'll help drive play with whoever he on the ice with. He's also going to be tough to handle in traffic and he'll piss a lot of apposing players off.
If he stays out of trouble (big if), he has tons of upside - could easily be one of my favorite players if any of this comes to fruition

I for one have very little faith he will be able to keep his good boy facade up for long. He has been a penalty disaster at every stage of his career and has had some instances of not being a good teammate. I am shocked that people think that will magically change at the NHL level.

I also doubt he and his whopping one point in the preaseason is going to spark offense on the fourth line.

Reactions: Board Bard

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I for one have very little faith he will be able to keep his good boy facade up for long. He has been a penalty disaster at every stage of his career and has had some instances of not being a good teammate. I am shocked that people think that will magically change at the NHL level.

I also doubt he and his whopping one point in the preaseason is going to spark offense on the fourth line.

I see him as a kind of a stupider Thorburn, but not quite as good as Thorburn.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Dpj8wopX4AAjbpE.jpg:large

Wow a lot of offense chocked by linemates.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I take it you don't like him -

we'll see

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
One angle no one has mentioned yet - the Dr. just moved up a peg on the depth chart. I’d bet if we lose a couple wingers to injury we see Doc Suess get his shot sooner than later now.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
One angle no one has mentioned yet - the Dr. just moved up a peg on the depth chart. I’d bet if we lose a couple wingers to injury we see Doc Suess get his shot sooner than later now.
there's a reason why no one's mentioned that angle...

Reactions: Duke749

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Well Surixon-- you could be totally wrong, or you may be right, but I think somewhere in the "middle" he'll end up behaving. Once your getting paid NHL money, and the coach tells you to do something --"you do it"--or you get sent back down to the Moose, if he doesn't tow the team line. It's not like he's the "boss" of his on ice behavior.

Also I don't mind mind if he plays tough and chippy as long as he doesn't continually rack up dumb penalties. I don't think he will, and he knows he'll end up being sent back down to the Moose. Also let's not forget, he's getting older now, and is maturing a bit, so hopefully he's grown up. His father was a great NHL'r and I'm sure he'll give him good advice on how to behave, as he'll want him to succeed.

It's also nice to have a guy like Lemieux who has surprisingly good speed, and also can protect smaller guys like Ehlers, Connor or Roslovic, or Little should the occasion call for it, and some teams have some pretty chippy guys, and we can use a little grit. I've seen Lemieux fight a couple times, and he's really tough, Comes in handy if guys are taking liberties with our smaller guys. Maurice likes a guy like that as well.

I think he could end up being a permanent fixture in the Jet's lineup, and a very useful player. Only time will tell how he'll work out --we'll see how it works out. I also think Vesa will work out as well, but he's 1-2 years away right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad