Player Discussion Daniel Vladar

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I've seen pretty much every home game Vladar has played for the Glads. He plays like someone still trying to figure out his fundamental mechanics. He survives on instinct at this point, and is prone to giving up stupefyingly soft goals at least once a game, which affects how the team in front of him plays. His size is his best asset. He really needs a quality goalie coach to tap his potential.

As a recent comparator, Louie Domingue was the Glads goalie for a pretty good stretch, pre-Vladar. You see what he's done so far in the NHL. To my eyes, Domingue was clearly superior to Vladar.

Vladar so far has actually been outplayed by Sean Bonar, a career minor leaguer. Last season, they split starts, nearly 50-50.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Volden thats who!

I don't recall there ever really being any "hype" around Volden. IIRC, he was a late round pick (6th I think) and he had ok numbers the first few years after he was drafted. Last I had checked (this was a few years back) he was bouncing around for league to league over in Europe.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I've seen pretty much every home game Vladar has played for the Glads. He plays like someone still trying to figure out his fundamental mechanics. He survives on instinct at this point, and is prone to giving up stupefyingly soft goals at least once a game, which affects how the team in front of him plays. His size is his best asset. He really needs a quality goalie coach to tap his potential.

As a recent comparator, Louie Domingue was the Glads goalie for a pretty good stretch, pre-Vladar. You see what he's done so far in the NHL. To my eyes, Domingue was clearly superior to Vladar.

Vladar so far has actually been outplayed by Sean Bonar, a career minor leaguer. Last season, they split starts, nearly 50-50.

Its funny, but his AHL numbers are better than his ECHL numbers. Kid is very raw, but as a lot of great tools if he can put it all together.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
His numbers in the ECHL aren't particularly impressive but there's no doubt he's played really well in camp and made some terrific stops against legit NHL top6 forwards and star caliber players. Hopefully this camp is a sign of things to come.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
His numbers in the ECHL aren't particularly impressive but there's no doubt he's played really well in camp and made some terrific stops against legit NHL top6 forwards and star caliber players. Hopefully this camp is a sign of things to come.

I thought he played better than Zane did during the pre-season. For curiosity I looked up the numbers and I was surprised to see Zane actually had a better GAA (both of his games went to OT). The real story though, Vladar faced 70 shots in his two appearances while Zane faced only 47 shots. In the end, Vladar had a 0.929 SV% to Zanes 0.894 SV% this pre-season. You could also argue that Vladar has drawn the tougher schedule. Both guys faced WSH, but in their other games, Vladar drew PHI and Zane drew DET.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I thought he played better than Zane did during the pre-season. For curiosity I looked up the numbers and I was surprised to see Zane actually had a better GAA (both of his games went to OT). The real story though, Vladar faced 70 shots in his two appearances while Zane faced only 47 shots. In the end, Vladar had a 0.929 SV% to Zanes 0.894 SV% this pre-season. You could also argue that Vladar has drawn the tougher schedule. Both guys faced WSH, but in their other games, Vladar drew PHI and Zane drew DET.

Also Vladar faced a stronger Capitals lineup

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Would you say this same thing about Tim Thomas, Hasek, Khudobin?

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I like Vlader from what I witnessed so far. He is big, aggressive and great rebound control. He was lucky a few times that the players do now know him yet. He will have to watch being too aggressive and leaving one whole side open. When teams see a guy for awhile they get a book on him. Not a problem, coaching can adapt his style. I think he may well be the future for us in net.

Reactions: bryson21

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I like Vlader from what I witnessed so far. He is big, aggressive and great rebound control. He was lucky a few times that the players do now know him yet. He will have to watch being too aggressive and leaving one whole side open. When teams see a guy for awhile they get a book on him. Not a problem, coaching can adapt his style. I think he may well be the future for us in net.
I really want to see what he can do with a full season in Providence. I do really like our young netminders though including Keyser and Swayman.

Reactions: FanSince72

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I really want to see what he can do with a full season in Providence. I do really like our young netminders though including Keyser and Swayman.

Yes, Sweeney seems to have stocked the pool in goal. I was a bit worried after losing Subban and with Zane getting older. The kids look like they have potential. I was really impressed with Vlader. Swayman was good in College, should have got more games with Team USA in my view. Keyser should have a good year at Oshawa. Amazing the depth at every position we have now, compared to the Chia years.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

If Vladar can play like he did this pre-season, Providence could be a very tough team to beat. They should have a pretty stocked FWD/DEF group and they'll be a must watch for me whenever there in Bridgeport or Hartford.

Reactions: Tampbear

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Yes, Sweeney seems to have stocked the pool in goal. I was a bit worried after losing Subban and with Zane getting older. The kids look like they have potential. I was really impressed with Vlader. Swayman was good in College, should have got more games with Team USA in my view. Keyser should have a good year at Oshawa. Amazing the depth at every position we have now, compared to the Chia years.

Night and day. Though our forward depth could be a bit deeper.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
According to the AHL site, Vladar saved all 8 shots faced in relief if Zane. Zane allowed 3 goals on 10 shots and was pulled roughly 12 minutes into the game

Reactions: rocketdan9

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
According to the AHL site, Vladar saved all 8 shots faced in relief if Zane. Zane allowed 3 goals on 10 shots and was pulled roughly 12 minutes into the game

Whats crazy is Vladar faced only 8 shots in 43 min

Other goalie faced 26 shots

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
2 of the 3 goals were of the softie variety ,the team in front of ZM played terrible, wasn't until the second period did it become more of a competitive game . But Vladar played well,Providence made it 3-2 with a few minutes left and then gave up an empty netter.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Thanks for the info on Vladar.

The only qualifier to this is that Sean Bonar (I have to hold back a smirk every time I say this name...yes I’m 52 going on 12) is 27 years of age and Vladar just turner 21 in August. When he was Vladar’s age he was a sophomore at Princeton.

There are multiple examples of goalies taking longer than position players to really find their games and getting that consistency you want in net. If Vladar has been getting by primarily because of size and skill, you hope that as he matures, he improves his technique and takes it to the next level.

FYI, in the PRO 4-2 loss to HFD, MacIntyre gave up all 3 goals (4th was an ENG) in the first 12 minutes. Vladar came in, played 48 minutes and stopped the 8 shots he faced.

Reactions: Dr Hook

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Thanks for the info on Vladar.

The only qualifier to this is that Sean Bonar (I have to hold back a smirk every time I say this name...yes I’m 52 going on 12) is 27 years of age and Vladar just turner 21 in August. When he was Vladar’s age he was a sophomore at Princeton.

There are multiple examples of goalies taking longer than position players to really find their games and getting that consistency you want in net. If Vladar has been getting by primarily because of size and skill, you hope that as he matures, he improves his technique and takes it to the next level.

FYI, in the PRO 4-2 loss to HFD, MacIntyre gave up all 3 goals (4th was an ENG) in the first 12 minutes. Vladar came in, played 48 minutes and stopped the 8 shots he faced.

Goalie also seems to be that position that needs to most time to develop in the lower levels. Its tough to develop a guy at the NHL level like you could a FWD or DEF

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Up to this years camp I would have agreed with you,his biggest asset was his size,certainly not his technique but I believe its clicked for him now, he had arguably the best camp of all our prospects other than the #1 pick last year. I'm pretty excited about his future

Reactions: Bruhin

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
that is the impression I take, too, but I don't feel any type of confidence that he plays in our NHL nets. and not just because it is a develop-and-trade position. my feeling is tough to explain, though, and I had high hopes for McIntyre (who seems to be getting worse somehow), so I am admittedly not an expert on kids coming up in this position. here's hoping we replace Tuukka from within when needed some day -- trading for a #1 is tough! we really lucked out with Halak, a dude who could #1 on most teams.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Guessing he will get his 1st start tomorrow.

Liked what I saw from him in training. Was sharp

Last edited:
Reactions: FanSince72

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
I've gotten to meet him a couple of times this year, he's far and away the funniest and most affable kid in the organization, if that matters. Divver once said, "I don't think Vladar's ever had a bad day in his life."

I've liked him enough in Providence. He doesn't track the puck all that well when it starts going east-west and relies a lot on how upright and just straight up big he is when he starts having to move, but I think that's an adjustment he's making to the speed of the game and isn't cause he isn't capable of it.

Reactions: Dr Hook and Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad