Player Discussion Daniel Vladar

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
I'm hoping he gets a start.

Before the last about season and a half, his biggest problem, to me, was recovering quickly when he didn't place a rebound quite right. He has improved substantially there. I think the structure and level of consistency in where shots come from will be really massive for him in the NHL. Just how much net he covers and how smart he is, I think he is very much an NHL level goaltender. I think he's, at this point in his development, on a lot of other teams, fighting for a starting job. He is good.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm hoping he gets a start.

Before the last about season and a half, his biggest problem, to me, was recovering quickly when he didn't place a rebound quite right. He has improved substantially there. I think the structure and level of consistency in where shots come from will be really massive for him in the NHL. Just how much net he covers and how smart he is, I think he is very much an NHL level goaltender. I think he's, at this point in his development, on a lot of other teams, fighting for a starting job. He is good.
In these playoffs? That would have to mean something went very wrong, I don't like it.

Reactions: smithformeragent

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
It will be like, a visual adjustment for fans watching him. He is pretty different than Rask, he just covers net rather than partially cutting things down and almost daring shooters into certain areas. David Rittich with the Flames is a really good comparison; he's obviously bigger than Rittich but I think, similarly, covers so much of the net and gets the flow of an offense to where "the puck just hits him" sometimes on a lot of plays.

Just wanted to post cause I've been lucky enough to get to see him a lot and think he's a way better player than he gets credit for.

Reactions: KrejciWinger

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
In these playoffs? That would have to mean something went very wrong, I don't like it.
That's really fair to say. I even hope Rask comes back at some point (love him, absolutely believe he gives the team the best shot on any given night) but I also think a guy like Vladar could catch fire like a Binnington or Murray because he is real big in there and he performs well under pressure.

"Very wrong" is about half-way there, already, too.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It will be like, a visual adjustment for fans watching him. He is pretty different than Rask, he just covers net rather than partially cutting things down and almost daring shooters into certain areas. David Rittich with the Flames is a really good comparison; he's obviously bigger than Rittich but I think, similarly, covers so much of the net and gets the flow of an offense to where "the puck just hits him" sometimes on a lot of plays.

Just wanted to post cause I've been lucky enough to get to see him a lot and think he's a way better player than he gets credit for.

I'm a little confused by your take of Vladar style

From what I seen he is a tall butterfly goalie, with above average reflexes. Look forward to seeing more from him

Rask is as boring as they come but he is good at stopping pucks - bottom half of the net. Even with some traffic. Doesnt let in many 5 hole goals. But can be scored on the top corners. Also not great at scrambling for multiple saves. So needs help from his Ds.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Could Valdar tandem with Halak next season ?

Who knows at this point. He doesn't have enough experience to go off of. He was electric this year but can he do it for a lot of games?

I don't trust halak as the legit #1 tbh. I don't think vladar has enough to go on that he could push halak.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Could Valdar tandem with Halak next season ?

No, next year is, in my opinion, the final cup window for this core group (37, 63, 33, 46). After that all bets are off because a flat cap , expansion, combined with young players (Studnicka, Frederic, etc.) pushing for roster spots will result in some changes. You can't risk not making the playoffs ala 2015 and 2016 by hedging your bet on an unproven (Svedberg) and/or inadequate (Gustafsson) back-up goaltender. You'll need to bring in another legitimate NHL goaltender if Rask isn't back. Doesn't have to be a world-beater, but a competent legitimate NHL puck-stopper to at minimum keep a 35-year old Halak under 55 games.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
No, next year is, in my opinion, the final cup window for this core group (37, 63, 33, 46). After that all bets are off because a flat cap , expansion, combined with young players (Studnicka, Frederic, etc.) pushing for roster spots will result in some changes. You can't risk not making the playoffs ala 2015 and 2016 by hedging your bet on an unproven (Svedberg) and/or inadequate (Gustafsson) back-up goaltender. You'll need to bring in another legitimate NHL goaltender if Rask isn't back. Doesn't have to be a world-beater, but a competent legitimate NHL puck-stopper to at minimum keep a 35-year old Halak under 55 games.

Ideally, if Rask is done, you want a platoon with Halak and Goalie X splitting 50/50.

Lundqvist for a year at Rangers retaining half salary?

I’m not even sure if I’m serious here.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Ideally, if Rask is done, you want a platoon with Halak and Goalie X splitting 50/50.

Lundqvist for a year at Rangers retaining half salary?

I’m not even sure if I’m serious here.

Agree, a 50/50 split is best.

Lundqvist? I think they can do better. And younger, which I think is important as it gives you more options moving forward and decreases the risk of both goaltenders being injured. Risky going with a 35-year old and 38-year old. Maybe a young guy (say age 25-29) who does the job they consider bringing back in 2021-22.

A 1A/1B job with Halak behind a strong defensive team like the Bruins would IMO be a highly coveted role among NHL goalies. Even on a one-year deal, there would be plenty of quality goaltenders interested as it would be a very good chance of having a strong season that they could parlay into another contract for 2021-22. Look what 1-year with the Islanders did for Robin Lehner's career playing behind Trotz's strong defensive system. He was almost out of the league, now he'll be one of the more sought after goaltenders during the upcoming free agent frenzy.

Once again I'm not talking about world-beaters or guys like say Holtby who will be more focused on a long-term deal as a clear-cut No.1, just competent and capable goaltenders, the same as they did when they initially signed Halak back a couple summers ago.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
So what's this guy's ceiling anyway? NHL backup, starter on a low-end team, platoon guy on an average team, or legit starter?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
So what's this guy's ceiling anyway? NHL backup, starter on a low-end team, platoon guy on an average team, or legit starter?

Size and skill to be a legit starter but no idea if he can handle a legit starter work load. He was excellent in Providence this season but small sample size. He has upside but need to see him in some NHL games.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Scouting reports from his draft his year had him projected as a NHL starter. Now the level of starter is up in the air.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Vladar re-signed to a 3 year deal, $750K cap hit.

Two-way deal the first two years, and a one-way the final year.

The Bruins obviously feel that he has a future with them, the only questions are when and his upside.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I never saw the kid play. His stats are pretty good and those who have seen him play do have good word.
One thing with this kid, as seeing him as a backup in this PO. He sure brings energy behind the bay windows and seem very active screaming and giving high five. I personnaly like the kid for that and if this willingness and energy is brought in net when he is there i could see players give everything for him. I can see how fun it will be to watch him... do we have a young weird but cool Timmy in the backup!

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Good for him on his pay day.

Does he start in this back to back coming up?

Also why are we seeing back to backs in the POs???

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

has starting potential if you ask me. But still has lots of prove at the nhl level

He is tall (but lanky). Good reflexes for his height. Gets up and down and side to side well

had a strong season down at Providence this past season

highlights from last year (including preseason game vs Caps)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->