DANIEL SEDIN AND HENRIK SEDIN | Dear Vancouver,

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
That's about enough stroking Y2K, it's not becoming of a place like this.

You're reaching when you say that the Sedins that they are ok with losing, that's just pure b*******.

LOL so someone sees that I have a valid point and all of a sudden they're stroking me? :laugh:

When did he say the Sedins are ok with losing? He said that they're okay with the way things are going with the Canucks. And what's wrong with that? That's basically what they said when they said they aren't leaving. They said they prefer to play here than winning a Cup elsewhere. That's what they said.

And clearly, based on some of the comments here, people would rather have two skilled nice guys on the team for a full career rather than a Cup or two. Again, that's fine if that's your preference. My preference is to see the Canucks win a Stanley Cup.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
They are the Kings of Vancouver. I remember watching them during their breakout year, I remember the year after when us fans would scream bloody murder at Hank for not shooting more. I remember when everyone called them soft, even in their best years. Watching them grow from middling forwards in a **** poor draft to elite talents to Hart Trophy and Art Ross winners was fantastic. And to top it all off, you couldn't meet kinder, classier guys.

I really hope whenever it is we win the Cup, they get rings.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

You're reaching when you say that the Sedins that they are ok with losing, that's just pure b*******.

Ok. Nuff of that nonsense.

Some might see it as "ok with losing".

Others might see it as "ok with a bi-weekly paycheque".

Look at your coworkers.

How many of them are actually fully emotionally engaged into their work?

How many are just ****ing the dog until 5PM rolls around?

Hockey players are at their jobs making a pay cheque. Sometimes the company sucks but you like job stability because job stability is more important than winning a trophy so you stick around and do what you can.

Which is exactly what the Sedins are doing.

You can like it. You can dislike it. It's all subjective.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

Is he?

What do you think the motivation was behind the Sedins signing their new 4 year contracts back in 2013? Was it to win a Cup or keep the family happy and not uproot them.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Look at your coworkers.

Hockey players are at their jobs making a pay cheque. Sometimes the company sucks but you like job stability because job stability is more important than winning a trophy so you stick around and do what you can.

Once again...

You are making sound like the simple act of being an NHL player at the age of 36 is as simple as showing up to work and putting in your 40 hours a week. You don't think it takes INCREDIBLE commitment and dedication to be and stay NHL players, to even still be where they are?

You ignored this statement once already. Because you know you're full of brown stuff.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Once again...

You ignored this statement once already. Because you know you're full of brown stuff.

fluit.gif

Two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct.

4F4.gif

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Just read that piece.
Got it off of Reddit.

After reading the part about how they ride their bikes across the city and enjoy their cup of coffee on the way down from Grouse I understood that there was no way they'd move anywhere else.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

Look at your coworkers.

It's not nonsense's at all.

You're likening the Sedins to dog******* that are just there to put in time and collect a paycheque?

Do you really think they want to stay in Vancouver for "stability"? That's what you're insinuating when you say "some might see it as". You're just trying to stir ****with the statements you make.

I was an employer for most of my working life so I don't know about coworkers but I do know about loyalty employees showed when things got rough and in return I showed the same when productivity declined. This is no different.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You do realize that Sakic signed an offer sheet with the Rangers midway through his career, right?

Yzerman, Sakic, and Lemieux all did something the Sedins didn't do. Ray Bourque probably wanted to be a career Bruin too, but he valued winning a Cup. Guess what happened....

they don't care about the cup though, just accept that.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Maybe they'd prefer to just retire from hockey and live here with family? That way they're not away from their family for weeks on end when they have those road trips.

I don't know why you keep pounding a dead horse. If they don't want to get traded, that's the end of the discussion. They hold the hammer by virtue of their NMC. I'm fine with it. The moment they put pen to paper in the fall of 2013 when Gillis signed them, I knew that they would finish it out in Vancouver, despite the signs that the team wound't be a contending team during the term of their contracts.

They are simply not wired that way. So, be it.

The only thing that this management group owes itself is to check one final time with the twins sometime in early 2018. If the answer is still no, then put it to bed.

Just don't extend them beyond the coming season. They don't owe the twins another contract. If they want to continue in the NHL, they have to go the way of Alfie and Modano. But, really, for them what is the point unless they can sign with a top flight team?

Besides, what is their trade value?

2 guys that you have to make fit into your roster, who want to play together. They are slow so does that fit the style of your team's attack. Can you make the $10.5 million minimum that has to be exchanged work? Does your team really need both of them or do you have a more pressing need than what I would call the luxury of the 2nd Sedin. Factor in their age and a guess of their production this coming year, which I peg to be around 50 points each. They are mainly setup guys now, so you need to have a trigger man to play with them.

All that points to a limited return IMO. They haven't been on the PK much at all over the past 7-8 years. Doubt they would do that. So, it's just offence from them.

Staal returned a good prospect and a pair of 2nds as a 31 year old in 2016. Twins are 6 years older than Eric at this TDL. I don't see them combined returning anything like that. Eric, only have to manage $4.1 million in cap space, not the extra $6.4 million.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think you're reaching to a ridiculous point here with that last post

I can understand how you don't like them not prioritizing winning because it seems like in their shoes, you'd be acting differently. Which is a totally valid frustration.

But the Doughty comparison's are just total ass and then some of those other posts are just cringe-level reaches.

There is a certain point, however, where as an organization loyalty IS important. Any other player on this team, or that has been on this team in my time being a fan? For the most part, yeah I agree with the whole "**** loyalty, it's a business" mentality. However, these two players, it's being incredibly selfish to prioritize a 1st, prospect, and cap dump over keeping them in one jersey their whole career IF that's what they so desire.

Except Luongo did have a very good 2011 playoffs. Heading into the SCF he was our candidate for the Conn Smythe. And probably still would have won it if the league wouldn't have given it to Tim Thomas anyway even had we won game 7.

Regardless, this isn't a Luongo thread. And it's hilarious how you even ignored how I pointed out that I disagreed with Luongo's mentality when he wanted to only go to Florida.

Funny how people get so emotional whenever someone criticizes the Sedins that, no only do they try to twist what someone's saying, not only do they bring up things that have absolutely nothing to do with the discussion, but they also seemingly don't bother to read other things and pretend like those weren't commented on.

Forget other people twisting what you're saying, you're the one reaching and doing exactly what you're accusing others of doing - bringing up things that have no relevancy to the current discussion like the ****** doughty comparison.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Class acts as always. Sounds like they are setting things up to retire at seasons end. They dont need more money, they value family life. I doubt they would live in Van after retirement, maybe keep the house as a vacational. I see them spending most of their time back home in Sweden

member 290103

Some nice words from the Sedins. I don't know if I really buy it, but we'll see what happens. If Vancouver is really their home then they'll be living here after they retire. I've seen too many players say they love the city they're in, or they call it home, and then they leave after they retire.

Regarding how playing here means more to them than winning a Cup...I don't like that attitude. That tells me it's time to take these guys out to pasture. If you're a pro athlete and winning the championship is not your top priority then you shouldn't be a pro athlete anymore.

This is my take exactly. I am glad to see someone has the balls to state it.

To me, (my opinion), the Sedins are not interested in moving on because they like their way of life in Vancouver. They are simply content to lose and continue with their Vancouver lifestyles as long as they can.

Have they earned this right? Sure. Are they good people? Sure. Is that the kind of mindset and attitude that you want leading a group of younger players? I don't think so.

My opinion, I know it won't be popular.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
20 year old Cogburn would have accepted high pay for a job, no matter how low the odds of me being the tops in my field, or odds of moving up within the company. He has the energy to do every thing, and when it comes down to it, is looking to make a name for himself.

30 year old Cogburn has already accepted lower pay for the right fit, and even though he is unattached and unburdened with children, may not accept a higher paying job with better odds of advancement if it required a big move, or other huge flaws, as he has been rewarded for excellent work and is interested to see where his company will go.

40 year old Cogburn is not moving from the city that 20 and 30 year old Cogburn created a life in, at least not for "possible" advancement with a rival company, across the country, when he is already an award winning star in his field at his company. It no longer matters someone in the same industry is offering the same pay, as he has earned his peers respect and advanced within his company. He wants what is best for his family.

I love they wrote our their thoughts and feelings and gave us some insight as to why it is so important to them. I really hope we can give them a proper final season, whether or not its next year or later on.

member 290103

My issue is that they are not staying in Vancouver because they have deep love of the Canucks and their fans and are completely driven to win only in Vancouver. I think they don't want to move on because they don't want to disrupt their lifestyle. They are not interested in moving their kids from their schools. They don't want to worry about starting up in a new community.

They are happy just plodding along, collecting their paycheques and losing in Vancouver. There is something off putting to me about that.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
My issue is that they are not staying in Vancouver because they have deep love of the Canucks and their fans and are completely driven to win only in Vancouver. I think they don't want to move on because they don't want to disrupt their lifestyle. They are not interested in moving their kids from their schools. They don't want to worry about starting up in a new community.

They are happy just plodding along, collecting their paycheques and losing in Vancouver. There is something off putting to me about that.

You mean..like a couple of Swedish carpet baggers?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Maybe they'd prefer to just retire from hockey and live here with family? That way they're not away from their family for weeks on end when they have those road trips.

Let's agree on two things here:

1 - out of the 1 million problems this trash pile has, the twins are pretty much near the bottom of the priority list.

2 - even if the twins are OK with going to another team, would do you really trust that dumb **** Benning to handle the situation?

We can just let the twins do what they feel is best, I think they earned that right. There are FAR more severe and immediate issues this team gotta deal with.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Class acts as always. Sounds like they are setting things up to retire at seasons end. They dont need more money, they value family life. I doubt they would live in Van after retirement, maybe keep the house as a vacational. I see them spending most of their time back home in Sweden

yea, they also donate anonymously and I still believe they do it.

I Hope we find them jobs in our organizaion after retirement. When Horvat lifts the cup, they also also get Stanley cup rings.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

There's nothing that can be done. NMC... end of story. So, why keep pouting about it?

It's their call.

At 2 completely different ends of the spectrum here in Vancouver.

Kesler demands out cause he wants to play for a winner, he is booed relentlessly when he returns.

Yet, fast forward 3 years and now fans want the twins to waive their NMC? They don't want to and they are vilified by some fans.

For me, I supported Kesler. I shared his views on the outlook of the team in 13-14 season. Felt their best days were behind them because there wasn't a new wave of players coming in that were drafted in 2008-2011. As for the twins, if they don't want to go, I have no issue with it. NMC.... Nothing more.

Again, it's on Benning to approach the twins sometime in 2018 to ask them one final time if they wish to waive. If the answer is still no, that's it.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Seriously though, based on every year since 2011, why would the Sedins have a deep love for the Canucks?

- Since the 2011 season, the only season that I could say the Sedins were genuinely enjoying themselves was in 14-15. Then the Calgary debacle happened and management traded / let walk EVERYONE leaving them, Edler and Tanev. The most egregious trade was the Hansen one as Hansen was the only winger on the team that was smart enough, fast enough and gritty enough to play with them.

- Management loaded this team up with duds with pizza being one of the worst duds who did his best to kill the Sedins transition game

- Management keeps changing plans every 6 months.

- Management hired a neurotic coach that paired them up with Dorsett for an entire game and then Smegma for gods knows how long.

- Management treated the vets like garbage and the youngsters like gold in the 15-16 season and it showed by the entitled attitudes Jake and Jared had.

You don't have to love your employer to work for your employer.

And the Sedins aren't exactly taking up roster spots on a team that is bereft of elite talent.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
This is my take exactly. I am glad to see someone has the balls to state it.

To me, (my opinion), the Sedins are not interested in moving on because they like their way of life in Vancouver. They are simply content to lose and continue with their Vancouver lifestyles as long as they can.

Have they earned this right? Sure. Are they good people? Sure. Is that the kind of mindset and attitude that you want leading a group of younger players? I don't think so.

My opinion, I know it won't be popular.

Content to lose?

Clearly a lot of European players move around trying to win, but I think there is a somewhat different mentality between parts of Europe at least and NA. It's about winning, but it is about winning with YOUR team. If I had played for the Canucks for as many years as them I would have wanted to win, but with the Canucks - not someone else.

I honestly don't see it any differently than being a fan. Why don't Canucks fans just change team so that you can win as a fan? I do believe that is the way the Sedins feel - certainly the way I would have felt.

I don't see that as being "content to lose" at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad