DANIEL SEDIN AND HENRIK SEDIN | Dear Vancouver,

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Tearing up. I love these guys. I'm happy they won't go from team to team like Iginla trying to win a Cup and looking like an idiot.

It's rare when you gets two players that want to only play in one city and only want to win with one team. That should be cherished.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think they should waived their NTC or NMC so that we can get some asset from another team. Playing for another team for literally less than 60 season+playoffs game is not that big of a deal for them. But it gives us great asset to build for the future.

Did you fail to read the article? Jeez.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Some nice words from the Sedins. I don't know if I really buy it, but we'll see what happens. If Vancouver is really their home then they'll be living here after they retire. I've seen too many players say they love the city they're in, or they call it home, and then they leave after they retire.

Regarding how playing here means more to them than winning a Cup...I don't like that attitude. That tells me it's time to take these guys out to pasture. If you're a pro athlete and winning the championship is not your top priority then you shouldn't be a pro athlete anymore.

Of course you feel this way. You've been harping on them for umpteen years. Nothing will ever sway you in their favour. There would've been excuses if they brought a Cup here, 100%. You legitimately thought Gaborik and Cammalleri were better options...and you harp on Benning? That would've ruined any chances at a Cup run, and Presidents Trophies.

Did you also fail to read the article? It wouldn't feel right to win with another team - that just shows that a Cup wouldn't necessarily be for them, it would be for the fans and this city. They've spent a huge portion of their lives here. Vancouver is most definitely considered a home, whether they live here after retirement or not.

There are lots of athletes who chase money to secure their futures and children's futures. If every player coveted a Cup, players would be signing with PIT/CHI for a couple million. Jagr would be signed right now if every player chased Cups, but one reason he isn't signed is because he wants more money.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Of course you feel this way. You've been harping on them for umpteen years. Nothing will ever sway you in their favour. There would've been excuses if they brought a Cup here, 100%. You legitimately thought Gaborik and Cammalleri were better options...and you harp on Benning? That would've ruined any chances at a Cup run, and Presidents Trophies.

Did you also fail to read the article? It wouldn't feel right to win with another team - that just shows that a Cup wouldn't necessarily be for them, it would be for the fans and this city. They've spent a huge portion of their lives here. Vancouver is most definitely considered a home, whether they live here after retirement or not.

There are lots of athletes who chase money to secure their futures and children's futures. If every player coveted a Cup, players would be signing with PIT/CHI for a couple million.

They didn't play well in 2011. He had one great series, and were mediocre-bad in the other 3. But if they would have showed up in game 7 and scored a few goals things would be a lot different.

I did read the article. I stand by my statement. Just like players who don't care to win a Cup and do it just for the money shouldn't be welcomed, I do not want players who aren't interested in winning a Cup. I get they wanted to do it here, that's great. But they could do the franchise a huge solid by accepting a trade elsewhere where they can possibly win a Cup while the organization gets pieces for the future. (ignoring who our management is because that's an even bigger problem).

Drew Doughty said it best. He said he doesn't give a **** where he plays, he just wants to win a Cup. And that's a guy who's already won two Cups. That's the type of attitude I want from our players.

Maybe he was just keeping "kayfabe"?:naughty: (wasn't he usually a heel character?)

Who knows. I didn't even know what kayfabe was back then, lol.

VanCity Millionaires

Oct 4, 2005
Vancouver
Henrik is building a big home in the Southlands right now. I'm pretty sure he plans on living in it after he's retired.

Also, what two great individuals. I wish more pro athletes would behave the way these two do.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Regarding how playing here means more to them than winning a Cup...I don't like that attitude. That tells me it's time to take these guys out to pasture. If you're a pro athlete and winning the championship is not your top priority then you shouldn't be a pro athlete anymore.

I tend to agree. it's not like they can't come back after a cup run and sign for cheap or as player development coaches if they are done playing. Linden/Benning will take them back with open arms and the organization will be in a better position after getting assets for them.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I tend to agree. it's not like they can't come back after a cup run and sign for cheap or as player development coaches if they are done playing. Linden/Benning will take them back with open arms and the organization will be in a better position after getting assets for them.

This.

Of course, I wouldn't want them involved in hockey operations unless it's in a role similar to what Yzerman had in Detroit...though we'd need a better foundation in management for that to even work to begin with. But if they wanted to come back after and take a non-ice role with the team, great! Assuming their goal is to win a Cup here, I'd be all for that. Or there are other PR roles they can take.

But my point still stands: if you're a professional athlete and you don't value winning a Cup there's a problem. And it's a valid complaint with other athletes too. Luongo is another example as someone who preferred playing in a certain spot moreso than winning a Cup.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
They didn't play well in 2011. He had one great series, and were mediocre-bad in the other 3. But if they would have showed up in game 7 and scored a few goals things would be a lot different.

I did read the article. I stand by my statement. Just like players who don't care to win a Cup and do it just for the money shouldn't be welcomed, I do not want players who aren't interested in winning a Cup. I get they wanted to do it here, that's great. But they could do the franchise a huge solid by accepting a trade elsewhere where they can possibly win a Cup while the organization gets pieces for the future. (ignoring who our management is because that's an even bigger problem).

Drew Doughty said it best. He said he doesn't give a **** where he plays, he just wants to win a Cup. And that's a guy who's already won two Cups. That's the type of attitude I want from our players.

Would you uproot your life in Vancouver to go to (random city) for 6 months for a possible shot at a promotion? Imagine too that you've worked for the same company your whole career and the alternative to not moving would be to mentor a junior co-worker to take on your role one day. Most humans don't just think in binary terms of "WINNING" and "LOSING"

Drew Doughty is a ****ing meathead. Erik Gudbranson would probably drop a similar quote about attitude; only difference between those two is talent, which you apparently don't care about now?

It's a sport. There are more important things in life. I want balanced, rational minded people on the team that I cheer for. Not brainwashed drones that were procreated while their parents had Rock'Em Sock'Em on in the background.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Would you uproot your life in Vancouver to go to (random city) for 6 months for a possible shot at a promotion? Imagine too that you've worked for the same company your whole career and the alternative to not moving would be to mentor a junior co-worker to take on your role one day. Most humans don't just think in binary terms of "WINNING" and "LOSING"

Drew Doughty is a ****ing meathead. Erik Gudbranson would probably drop a similar quote about attitude; only difference between those two is talent, which you apparently don't care about now?

It's a sport. There are more important things in life. I want balanced, rational minded people on the team that I cheer for. Not brainwashed drones that were procreated while their parents had Rock'Em Sock'Em on in the background.

The real working world and professional sports are different. But if I were an athlete, would I leave Vancouver...a city I've spent my entire life in? Absolutely.

Doughty is someone who I have problems with because of some of his off-ice stuff, but regardless, that winning mentality is something I want from our players. And guess what? On the ice he's a winner. He's won internationally and he's won in the NHL. If you prefer genuine nice guys who don't care about winning but will kiss babies and smile at you on the street, fine. I think this organization has been fully content with that for the past 50 years, why change now?

Who says I don't care about talent? I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Seems like a lot of people get super emotional whenever someone criticizes the Sedins, that all logic and rational discussion goes out the window.

0din

Mar 8, 2016

Not 6 months. four and half that time is spent on the road anyway so really two months less any time playing against the Nucks.

Most mere "humans" don't get paid millions of dollars to play a game.

Those brainwashed drones support hockey, our national sport, in hockey. Out of touch, there is no fighting allowed in minor leagues, heck there is almost no hitting until a certain age and then it is a problem because the kids aren't ready or know how to give or take.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Well said.

While there is value in trading away older players for other assets/pospects/picks/whatever-you-call-it, there is also value in having HOF players of remarkable character being a lifelong part of your organization.

Other assets/prospects/picks can be gained all the time in numerous ways.

HOF players of remarkable character that are a lifelong part of your organization come along once in a lifetime, if that.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Well said.

While there is value in trading away older players for other assets/pospects/picks/whatever-you-call-it, there is also value in having HOF players of remarkable character being a lifelong part of your organization.

Other assets/prospects/picks can be gained all the time in numerous ways.

HOF players of remarkable character that are a lifelong part of your organization come along once in a lifetime, if that.

I see people throw this line out there all the time. What value is there in having the Sedins stay here?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I'll give you an outsiders perspective since before 2013 I paid very little attention to the Canucks and the Sedins. After watching them for a few seasons now I've learned to respect them as players and as people too. They deserve to end their careers as Canucks if that is what they want to do.

That said every team has a tough decision to make when their aging superstar is no longer the player he used to be. Holding on to that player too long and not rebuilding/retooling soon enough often leads to years of mediocrity. The Canucks problem is compounded by the fact that their superstar is not just one player but a pair of twins that have player together their entire careers. I really don't think that the Canucks can fully rebuild until after the Sedins move on.

The New England Patriots are one of the few professional sports teams that are willing to move their star players before they enter the phase of declining performance level. With the exception of Tom Brady who is a freak they have continually moved players out before they became liabilities.

Let the Sedins enjoy their final season in Vancouver and immediately retire their numbers but they should not be offered new contracts after playing out their current contracts.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Drew Doughty is also 26, single, and doesn't live in LA full-time. Of course any young player in that situation will ok with being traded to a competing team. It's a little different when you're dealing with people in their 30s with school-age children.

This has been a garbage organization with no history and no tradition. The 2nd-best 'career Canuck' is Gary f'ing Lupul. Watching these great players retire as Canucks is far more important to me than MOAR DRAFT PICKZ!!! and I think their value to the team and community greatly exceeds the value of a 2nd rounder or whatever we'd get.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Drew Doughty is also 26, single, and doesn't live in LA full-time. Of course any young player in that situation will ok with being traded to a competing team. It's a little different when you're dealing with people in their 30s with school-age children.

This has been a garbage organization with no history and no tradition. The 2nd-best 'career Canuck' is Gary f'ing Lupul. Watching these great players retire as Canucks is far more important to me than MOAR DRAFT PICKZ!!! and I think their value to the team and community greatly exceeds the value of a 2nd rounder or whatever we'd get.

Daniel and Henrik shaking hands in the community will help this team get closer to a Stanley Cup than what we might get with a 1st round draft pick? Interesting take.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
The twins have NMC, so they have final say over where they play this season. If they want to do it in Vancouver so be it. Nothing will change their minds. I've accepted that.

What bothers me about Linden's comments is the part where he says that they will be Canucks for however long they want to be. That's fine, only in the context of their current contract which contains the NMC.

But once the contract expires, it's time to move on. The twins either change their minds about playing for another team next season or they retire as career Canucks.

I see no point of bringing them back for another season. Plus, bringing them back would signal an indicment to h development of young players. Bo, Brock, Sven, granny, Loui, Sutter, gagner will be in the top 9 next season. You have to have two of Rodin, gaudette, Virtanen, Goldy, dahlen, be capable of playing in the top 9. Otherwise, I'm your development process is flawed.

Now, if th Canucks were to trade two of sutter, Loui and gagner, then you have the room to extend the twins. But, that's the only way they do it.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
"We are Swedes but this is our home" - I guess we will truly see when they retire.

The twins have have easily given more to this city, in a humanitarian way then any other athletes. If the city gave out some top athlete/humanitarian award and gave it to them I'd say great.

And while a lot of what they wrote is likely genuine this really seems to be more of PR move motivated by the Canucks:

-Remind us all of some great times that we've had with Sedins/Canucks and hint that it may be coming to an end (i.e. buy your tickets while you still can)

-Put to bed any question on trading them. Don't have to ask them or team any question now and its the safe, comforting thing for team and Sedins. Let's focus on the good times.

-Acknowledges team may not be best right now but hints at 3 seasons ago - we might make playoffs again who knows? i.e. buy some tickets guys and possibly get excited we might make playoffs

- Plug the Canuck's latest investment Bo Horvat, saying stuff we've heard 1000 times before, very feel good/promising for future (for the company/team)

- One more prospect plug of Dahlen- wink wink we have future Sedins coming everyone- feel good, keep your season tickets.

This just feels as if the team asked them to do it and gave them a structure and key lines to include. Don't blame the Sedins even for doing it - they are exceptional employees.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The Sedins are class acts and should be allowed to retire here unless they want to go try to win a cup elsewhere

Baertschi Petterson Dahlen
Goldobin Horvat Boeser
Gaunce Sutter Granlund
Sedin Sedin BURROWS

I BOLIEVE

you forgot Johansen

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I see people throw this line out there all the time. What value is there in having the Sedins stay here?

People (and management) continually cite character, virtue and leadership has having great value. So much so that those same people (and management) support acquiring mediocre players like Sutter and Gudbranson.

If those intangibles do have some value (I am skeptical of how much, but believe there is probably some legitimate impact), then having THE paragons of those characteristics here certainly holds some value as well.

In most cases with aging vets, I'd say move 'em for assets. But in this case, I just have to feel differently. The Sedins are the Canucks and have been for over a decade. They've demonstrated they really care about and adopted this city. They should go out on their own terms.

Plus I don't really think assets we could get for them would amount to all that much. There is a very limited market of potential contenders who could stomach 10+ million in cap space.

Let them have the ending they want. Management has made far more egregious errors than this already. Take the hit for the franchise's best ever players.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The real working world and professional sports are different. But if I were an athlete, would I leave Vancouver...a city I've spent my entire life in? Absolutely.

Doughty is someone who I have problems with because of some of his off-ice stuff, but regardless, that winning mentality is something I want from our players. And guess what? On the ice he's a winner. He's won internationally and he's won in the NHL. If you prefer genuine nice guys who don't care about winning but will kiss babies and smile at you on the street, fine. I think this organization has been fully content with that for the past 50 years, why change now?

Who says I don't care about talent? I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Seems like a lot of people get super emotional whenever someone criticizes the Sedins, that all logic and rational discussion goes out the window.

We're all still people that value different things. I would not take a hypothetical job opportunity in Tampa Bay because it might give me a shot at a raise. And like MS said, that becomes a whole different dynamic for people with families.

This WINNER narrative is chest thumping rhetoric and you know it. Chris Kunitz > Connor McDavid. Kunitz has four cups and an Olympic Gold so he obviously cares more. :rolleyes:

What you're saying isn't rational, it's treating people like numbers. If you don't value organizational culture, that's fine... but there are very few successful teams who don't care about creating a strong environment.

Many, many people have made points about the pros of keeping the Sedins on the team, but you conveniently choose to ignore them. Whatever.

In hindsight, if they were open to a trade in 2014 after Kesler left, and we had an idea of what a ****ing gongshow this team would be... sure. Back then, the proposals people talked about involved prospects like Fiala and multiple first round picks. Now? Just appreciate that you got to watch the full career of two future HHOFers unlike any other in the history of the sport. This team will not have anyone of a similar calibre or even close for a long, long time. I don't know how the next three will play out, but as a fan, those two and Bo are the only reasons I'll watch any games this season. Once they retire, I'll have very few reasons to pay attention.

Those brainwashed drones support hockey, our national sport, in hockey. Out of touch, there is no fighting allowed in minor leagues, heck there is almost no hitting until a certain age and then it is a problem because the kids aren't ready or know how to give or take.

What? I'll rephrase...

Of course Drew Doughty is going to make those comments. That's just what every kid growing up in Canada will say if they don't want to be labelled a "headcase." Not being able to separate a lack of willingness to scream about playing the right way and effort/determination demonstrates a really unfortunate lack of critical thinking.

From what I've seen, very few hockey players in history, let alone right now, are more determined and committed to improving than the Sedins. That they value loyalty to their teammates and community is being used against them is just ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad