DANIEL SEDIN AND HENRIK SEDIN | Dear Vancouver,

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Propaganda put forth at the behest of the Great Leader.

Umm... I don't think so.

I think there's merit in putting out such a article so that they don't have to answer the same retirement question every time they get interviewed.

I would imagine they're pretty damn tired of answering the same question time and time again.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Umm... I don't think so.

I think there's merit in putting out such a article so that they don't have to answer the same retirement question every time they get interviewed.

I would imagine they're pretty damn tired of answering the same question time and time again.

What about the media? They posted on a players website (essentially bypassing traditional media) to deliver a carefully scripted message. In the process denying the media the opportunity to discuss, interview, and entertain different scenarios. Just so they didn't have to answer the same question?

This at a time when Ed Willes had to step back from his job so that younger writers could have a chance? It just doesn't seem right of them.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
What about the media? They posted on a players website (essentially bypassing traditional media) to deliver a carefully scripted message. In the process denying the media the opportunity to discuss, interview, and entertain different scenarios. Just so they didn't have to answer the same question?

This at a time when Ed Willes had to step back from his job so that younger writers could have a chance? It just doesn't seem right of them.

Defending the media's right to ask the Sedins the same question (but maybe in a slightly different way) over and over again?

7O34chu.png

That's called lazy journalism in my opinion.

So with the article, the Sedins established a informational baseline in terms of what their future plans are with the team.

Any journalist that asks a question that can be answered by reading the article is and should be called out as a dumbass.

edit.

err.... in my opinion obviously.

So here's my perspective.

If you want to cover the Canucks.... IE... if you want to play in the deep end of sports journalism then it's sink or swim.

The quality of news these days is being massively diluted due to social media and more and more we're seeing lazy click-bait crap being presented as "news".

I, as the consumer, have to wade through all the crap to find the good stuff so I love it when the Sedins put forth an article like this because like I said, any journalist going forward that asks a question that can be answered by a quick google should be ridiculed.

Journalism is not supposed to be easy.

Last edited:

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Defending the media's right to ask the Sedins the same question (but maybe in a slightly different way) over and over again?

7O34chu.png

That's called lazy journalism in my opinion.

So with the article, the Sedins established a informational baseline in terms of what their future plans are with the team.

Any journalist that asks a question that can be answered by reading the article is and should be called out as a dumbass.

Not simply asking questions but discussing things, speculating, etc. I.E. - Investigative journalism - where could they end up, what would be a good return for the team, what does Pierre McGuire really think?

Take David Pratt for example - he has one less thing to rant about now and there is a competing talk show as well!!

Look, the Sedins can do whatever they like. With all of their accomplishments and accolades this city holds them to an incredibly high standard. But it just feels that the organization benefits the most from this scripted message. The media - the glue that holds this all together are the ones taking it off the chin.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Not simply asking questions but discussing things, speculating, etc. I.E. - Investigative journalism - where could they end up, what would be a good return for the team, what does Pierre McGuire really think?

Take David Pratt for example - he has one less thing to rant about now and there is a competing talk show as well!!

Look, the Sedins can do whatever they like. With all of their accomplishments and accolades this city holds them to an incredibly high standard. But it just feels that the organization benefits the most from this scripted message. The media - the glue that holds this all together are the ones taking it off the chin.

Nobody's preventing the media from speculating on anything. Just make sure when you speculate, take into consideration WHAT THE SEDINS HAVE SAID ALREADY.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Saying that professional athletes should prioritize winning a championship is reaching to ridiculous levels now?

Are you not a professional at whatever you do? You should prioritize your job over your family?

It's like hey you're being paid a lot of money to do your job, your family should come second. :help:

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I didn't lose or gain respect for Bourque when he decided to chase a cup, I don't lose or gain respect for the Sedins for deciding not to. They're grown men choosing what they feel is best for them and their families. If that bothers you, **** off.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
I for one read the article as I would read anything coming for people committed to something in life, in their profession and generally speaking to anything. They're in Vancouver and they're committed and settled here. Main point here is that they are people living their lives in a city that loves them, they're doing what they love for a living, and they've been given the opportunity based on their merit - not some "goodheartedness" that can be pushed aside. Sure, some people would love to see them think otherwise, write other things, support an odd fan's hopes of "cashing in on them" for the sake of a ideal - operating the team like a no-heart machine. But you can't operate a team like that. The story of the Sedins doesn't work like that. I'm a Finn for god's sake and I love what those guys have done for my team with no holds barred. Sure, of course I hoped they would've won for it for us - I'm sure they'd agree - but you can't plan life and success like that. You go with what you can get.

They're here to stay until the remainder of their contract with NMC's. They love it here. They don't want to move. Sure, if they drop off for good, you have to build the franchise over them and not around them, but as far as the facts go, they're here and they'll stay here for now and maybe - judging from all of this - till the end of their careers.

Deal with it.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Sedins are Swedish. Bourque is Canadian.

Ask any European Hockey player, the Olympic Gold sometimes is a more prestigious trophy for them than a Stanley Cup.

Yes, the Cup is more important to us Canadians. But perhaps to the Sedins, they achieved one of their two life goals, and were 1 game away from the other.

Maybe they are just that humble, and maybe it is okay with them that they finish their career in a city that nurtured them, and to give it all here to try to win the cup, no matter how bleak the odds are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad