DANIEL SEDIN AND HENRIK SEDIN | Dear Vancouver,

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
When people talk about the leadership and character that guys like Dorsett/Sutter/Gudbranson bring, it make sure me grind my teeth because we have two of the biggest paragons of these values on the team already in the Twins. These are the guys I want the young guys learning from.

Grateful for all they've done for the team and city, fortunate to have been able to watch them for all these years, and extremely happy that they love this team and city as much as we love it and them. I'm stoked that they will be career Canucks.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
fml this sounds like a retirement letter

Bless them both. Also Bo for captain confirmed.

I think it's meant to head off the inevitable "Will the Sedins waive their NMC" speculation as the season wears on.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them back on 1 year deals.

Of course our GM/President being who they are I wouldn't be surprised to see them offered six year deals but I like to think the Sedins are sensible humans.

0din

Mar 8, 2016
From a Fan to the Sedin's;

We watched you as kids struggling to adapt to a different game, with the language and your confidence. Many of us ridiculed you as being "soft" and "timid", unable to be worthy of your draft status. A few of us recognized that you didn't really get scored on very often and ate up the clock, a valuable asset when leading a game.

Later on you started to take over on the power play, started "owning" the puck and making the 2nd unit respectful and dangerous.

With the dismantling of the Westcoast Express we could see and doubted whether you could take over as "the guys", you were good but were you good enough to be the leaders this team needed? There was doubt everywhere even the new GM, Gillis stated his doubts. Then a strange thing happened, the season started and the men that showed up to play weren't two young undeveloped Swedish kids, they were men that stepped their game up to a new level as leaders.

We watched you grow into franchise players, take the team to numerous playoff appearances and become icons for the franchise on and off the ice, anonymous donor's of 1 million dollars to the children's hospital. Sedin's became synonymous with being Canucks.

We truly wish you could have carried the team to win the grail, but it can't be done alone and circumstances made it just not in the cards.

BUT, if you did go to a different team and win a cup, Vancouver fans would gain a little pride knowing that Vancouver's Sedin's helped and a small part of Vancouver also won a cup. I could see it now as you brought the cup to Vancouver, it's not our team winning it but it is the next best thing, our Sedins.

TheGuardian

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I think they should waived their NTC or NMC so that we can get some asset from another team. Playing for another team for literally less than 60 season+playoffs game is not that big of a deal for them. But it gives us great asset to build for the future.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Class act, I love it. Happy to hear they will be forever with the Canucks. Always nice to read/hear how strong of a connection players have with their team.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Baertschi Petterson Dahlen
Goldobin Horvat Boeser
Gaunce Sutter Granlund
Sedin Sedin BURROWS

I BOLIEVE

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I think they should waived their NTC or NMC so that we can get some asset from another team. Playing for another team for literally less than 60 season+playoffs game is not that big of a deal for them. But it gives us great asset to build for the future.

Doesn't matter what you think they should do. They have said in the clearest possible terms that they don't want to do that. That should be enough to stop all of these "this is what they should do" posts.

Just accept it and move on.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

To be honest I don't mind if they stay. Whether the twins get traded is probably number 932658 on the list of 1 million problems this garbage team has to deal with.

If you gonna trade one you gotta trade the other, together 14 mil cap hit for two players who'll probably not produce more than 40 pts each is a hard sell for any GM, and let's not forget it'll be the idiot Benning at the helm.

They did well for the team and the city, let them finish their careers in ways they wanted. They can teach the young guys far better than Mr. Balls-o-Steel.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
That was one great read.

Horvat tidbit just confirms he is the next captain 100%

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Some nice words from the Sedins. I don't know if I really buy it, but we'll see what happens. If Vancouver is really their home then they'll be living here after they retire. I've seen too many players say they love the city they're in, or they call it home, and then they leave after they retire.

Regarding how playing here means more to them than winning a Cup...I don't like that attitude. That tells me it's time to take these guys out to pasture. If you're a pro athlete and winning the championship is not your top priority then you shouldn't be a pro athlete anymore.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Say what you will about the Sedins, they led the most talented team in franchise history. There are a lot of fans who don't really know how bad this team has been for most of its existence. The Sedins are among the select few who have managed to lift the Canucks out of the basement and into being contenders.

Thanks for the memories, good and bad.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Some nice words from the Sedins. I don't know if I really buy it, but we'll see what happens. If Vancouver is really their home then they'll be living here after they retire. I've seen too many players say they love the city they're in, or they call it home, and then they leave after they retire.

Regarding how playing here means more to them than winning a Cup...I don't like that attitude. That tells me it's time to take these guys out to pasture. If you're a pro athlete and winning the championship is not your top priority then you shouldn't be a pro athlete anymore.

Your avtar is so awesome...
I picture that gif as you as you press 'post'..
Cracks me up every time.. (when on desktop)

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I think they will cheerfully sign year to year deals at a seriously reduced amount, and get less and less ice time. But they will continue to help lead this team and provide secondary scoring. And salary $3M or so, will include a NMC.

Put them out as the 2nd unit PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad