WWE: Daniel Bryan CLEARED TO RETURN

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Oh and one of if not my most favorite moment in wwe history is the debut of Chris Jericho.

That’s what the WWE just missed out on. Thanks a lot.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
People are completely justified in believing it'd never happen. After the Chris Benoit incident you can't really blame them for not wanting to clear a guy with significant brain trauma. There's still a lot hanging in the balance here.

The most unfortunate part of this is that now we don't get to see Bryan vs. Kenny at All In...

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I'm not surprised but I'm happy it's official. His contract is up in a few months, he's been cleared by other doctors, and he flat out said he's wrestling again, even if he has to go to the indies if WWE won't let him. He's clearly a big draw, there's no way WWE just lets him walk away.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If Bryan returns as a regular, (I don't think he'll be wrestling on house shows) there's no excuse to not turn Reigns heel at that point.

Bryan instantly becomes the top babyface and pushes Braun to #2.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Wonder if maybe this changes plans and they send Bryan to RAW? Since they'll want the ratings for the #1 show. Could also mean a Reigns heel turn.

Heel Reigns vs Bryan with DB going over could be the biggest pop ever.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Actually, I doubt WWE ever give him a main title tbh...although they did it with part time Lesnar twice, so I guess its possible.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Oh and one of if not my most favorite moment in wwe history is the debut of Chris Jericho.

But even that wasn't a surprise, it was known that Jericho was going to WWE. There are even signs for him in the audience.

The problem with all this is WWE have no way of telling fans to watch tonight without giving them the news upfront. Bryan is back, watch tonight for details is really the best they can do.

Reactions: Morozov

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Actually, I doubt WWE ever give him a main title tbh...although they did it with part time Lesnar twice, so I guess its possible.

If he's on a "Full time" schedule, (Again, I don't think he'll be wrestling 6 matches a week at house shows) he'll definitely get the strap again at some point in his career.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People are completely justified in believing it'd never happen. After the Chris Benoit incident you can't really blame them for not wanting to clear a guy with significant brain trauma. There's still a lot hanging in the balance here.

The most unfortunate part of this is that now we don't get to see Bryan vs. Kenny at All In...
You never were going to see that because Danielson’s contract doesn’t expire before the show.

Also, one hit to the head and he’s done again, assuredly

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
If he's on a "Full time" schedule, (Again, I don't think he'll be wrestling 6 matches a week at house shows) he'll definitely get the strap again at some point in his career.
There's the Styles/Orton deal. They get time off as part of their deals, so they don't always do all three house shows each week (sometimes none) but always do TV.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
He'll probably only do the big house shows like MSG. With PPV's going back to both brands I'd assume house shows will too to some extent, so they won't need him to carry a tour.

He should be more active than Brock tho, hopefully, but not run into the ground

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You never were going to see that because Danielson’s contract doesn’t expire before the show.

Also, one hit to the head and he’s done again, assuredly

I don't think there was ever a drop dead date on his contract. I think the September 23rd thing came about and was taken to be the date because of the Twitter exchange between he and Cody about the 23rd being the day Cody would tie his title reign length.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
There's the Styles/Orton deal. They get time off as part of their deals, so they don't always do all three house shows each week (sometimes none) but always do TV.

If he's a full time talent it'll likely be the Shawn Michaels schedule. He'll do TVs and PPVs.

I think it'd be incredibly foolish to put him in a ring 5 nights a week. Honestly I think they should be protective about having him wrestle weekly on TV.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
If he's a full time talent it'll likely be the Shawn Michaels schedule. He'll do TVs and PPVs.

I think it'd be incredibly foolish to put him in a ring 5 nights a week. Honestly I think they should be protective about having him wrestle weekly on TV.
Well, they only do three house shows plus TV each week, so five matches can't happen (normally). And keeping him out the ring on TV should be the standard for anyway.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It's actually pretty crazy how much the landscape has changed since he's been gone. Two years is a vastly under exaggerated timeline for how long he's been out. He only retired two years ago. He hasn't wrestled in three, and even then he was only back for a couple months. Realistically he's practically been gone for four years.

Look at the talent that's come in since that time. KO is new. Sami is new. AJ is new. Shinsuke is new. Joe is new.

The Shield broke up after his first major absence, and when he came back he only had a very short feud with Roman. They can still do more with Roman, as well as completely fresh stuff with Rollins and Ambrose.

There are years of fresh angles you can do with him.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

I would have liked for them to wait until tonight, but if they waited for a WM surprise it was definitely going to leak.

I would have liked for Bryan to open Smackdown, run down Owens and Zayn for their actions after he's been trying to give them opportunities and seeing what they've been dealt with by the authority similar to him a few years ago. Then announce Owens/Zayn wouldn't compete at WM, instead, they'd team up to take on Shane McMahon -- long, dramatic pause -- "and me!" to close the segment with the crowd doing the Yes chant.

Instead tonight, now that fans know, the crowd is already going to be hot as hell and have the anticipation of seeing Bryan and his promo to open the show.

It all works out. :)

I honestly wanted to see it happen, but i never believed it will happen as long as he was in the WWE.

I always had hope. He was cleared by too many doctors for WWE to not cave in. There's too much money in Bryan still. He's only 36.

If Bryan returns as a regular, (I don't think he'll be wrestling on house shows) there's no excuse to not turn Reigns heel at that point.

Bryan instantly becomes the top babyface and pushes Braun to #2.

I still think they move Styles to Raw and Rollins to Smackdown. Rollins will be #2 behind Bryan, no doubt, at least in the eyes of the fans, but you always have the window to turn Seth heel again and be the top heel on the brand to work with Bryan and Nakamura, the latter in the case when Bryan has house show loops off.

Wonder if maybe this changes plans and they send Bryan to RAW? Since they'll want the ratings for the #1 show. Could also mean a Reigns heel turn.

Heel Reigns vs Bryan with DB going over could be the biggest pop ever.

Like I said above, I think Styles still ends up on Raw.

Kind of a shame that it happens now that Bryan is cleared when Bryan vs. Styles could have been such a huge program on Smackdown, but Bryan vs. Seth, and maybe even Bryan vs. Balor can also be big before the inevitable Bryan vs. Nakamura.

I think they will eventually.

Reactions: KEEROLE Vatanen

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I can't say that I'm on board with this. But it's his life, not mine.

I do, however, see him becoming frustrated if WWE starts to crackdown on his move-set in the ring. Which they absolutely and hopefully should.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I can't say that I'm on board with this. But it's his life, not mine.

I do, however, see him becoming frustrated if WWE starts to crackdown on his move-set in the ring. Which they absolutely and hopefully should.

I would think and hope he's smart enough to not be doing anymore flying headbutts (Of all the moves that could be banned, how this one wasn't) and top rope dropkicks.

Honestly, I don't think he will.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I would think and hope he's smart enough to not be doing anymore flying headbutts (Of all the moves that could be banned, how this one wasn't) and top rope dropkicks.

Honestly, I don't think he will.
He's already said in other interviews when discussing the prospect of returning to wrestling when his WWE contract expired (if WWE didn't clear him) that he'd work a different, lower impact style to protect himself.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It was absolutely realistic to assume this wasn’t going to happen.

Just look st the insane amount of hoops he had to jump through to actually get it to this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad