News Article: Daniel Alfredsson " We Hope to get a new Owner "

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Nope, what you think is that, same as me, doesn't matter to me in the least

Couldn't care less whether you think one way or the other
But then, why would you engage in a discussion?

As I expressed to another poster, what opinions would be shared if McKenzie shared an off the record, juicy conversation Melnyk had with him?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
My point is, really... why the hell Is Alfie going around talking about that stuff to anyone at all, in public?

My point #2: If McKenzie reported some juicy, off the record convo he shared with Melnyk...

I haven't read this womans blog, so I don't know if she gave any further details about the conversation, so it's hard to tell what mood the whole thing was, or if she took anything out of context. You know how it is, though. Someone looking to get traffic to a blog or page will come up with the most explosive headline they can.

For all we know, it could've been a "man, I would love if Daddy Warbucks bought the Sens and spent $150 mil a year on the team and operations. We really could use that in the city" benign chatter.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I haven't read this womans blog, so I don't know if she gave any further details about the conversation, so it's hard to tell what mood the whole thing was, or if she took anything out of context. You know how it is, though. Someone looking to get traffic to a blog or page will come up with the most explosive headline they can.

For all we know, it could've been a "man, I would love if Daddy Warbucks bought the Sens and spent $150 mil a year on the team and operations. We really could use that in the city" benign chatter.
Agreed.

As much as I love Alfie, and whether this person is a reporter (if blogger or fan, even worse), he should know better.

Not saying I disagree with his apparent statements.

Reactions: Cosmix

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
But then, why would you engage in a discussion?

As I expressed to another poster, what opinions would be shared if McKenzie shared an off the record, juicy conversation Melnyk had with him?
McKenzie wouldn't do that, but if he did I'd feel the exact same way should Melnyk have wished it to be off the record

Reactions: DrEasy

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
McKenzie wouldn't do that, but if he did I'd feel the exact same way should he have wished it to be off the record
We’ll never know if he did.

In the end, my point is that this is a double edged sword and Alfie should be more careful.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It's definitely complicated. I feel people's wishes should be respected but also if you're a public figure and you open your mouth to someone you don't even know, you've kind of dug your own grave. I don't exactly prize the old idea of a boys' club where we can say what we want and the media will just always kowtow to us because we're important. At the same time though this news getting out in this way can't actually do anybody any good and it's hard not to see it in that practical light.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
He said whatever was thinking but no one with clout wanted to say.

I do feel sorry for Alfie way it was done , he probably wanted he feeling to be known when the time was right , like a new owner or something.

Anyhow is really no suprise and I say Kudos to Alfie for speaking his mind about EM .

Maybe just Maybe this is the beginning of the end of EM , not saying anytime soon but now is going to be in everyone's mind. Tired of EM running this team like one of drug companies and not a sports franchise that's city and players deserve more respect then he has shown.

EM should be a silent owner, instead he has become the laughing stock of the NHL , modern day Harold Ballard! Gary needs to force this bafoon out of league and bring in proper ownership, not this used car salesmen.

Reactions: Liliaceae

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Praise Alfie

I have an Alfie Jersey for a reason, he has always been the Franchise, the brand, the Ottawa Senators - he still is. His words carry more weight still then anyone ever associated with the organization active or non-active.

Alfie haunts Melnyck and Dorion - he has more credibility and more trust with the fansbase then management will ever have.

Praise Alfie - he is a true Senator. Alfie is the Senators

Melnyck owns the team but he’s just here for the ego and is being asked to leave by the city by the fans and now the symbol of the Senators.

Last edited:

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Shoulda never been posted, but its gonna cause ripples. Unfortunately its going to make Melnyk hold onto the team even harder too.

This is news we all knew and wanted to hear, but for the bigger picture, this being public is bad news.

Reactions: bert

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ian Mendes tsk tsking Alfies use of the word ‘we’ when talking about the Senators.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Ian Mendes tsk tsking Alfies use of the word ‘we’ when talking about the Senators.

Is this on the radio?

Mendes can get kind of preachy when he wants. Alfie is and will always be the Senators. Melnyk only temporarily owns it and he represents in no way the fans or the brand.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Alfie apparently asked his comments to be off the record and she went and published them anyway. Yikes.
Yeah gutty move by her. She has a history of doing this type of thing. If he said off the record then respect it. He is one of the good guys he should get the benefit of the doubt. If you didn't realize Alfie doesn't like the current ownership you're either in denial or not paying attention.

I don't think it's going to effect the situation with Melnyks ownership. I mean people really think that he doesn't know alfie hates him? Or if you think this is going to effect his stance anymore than publicly funded signs saying #melnykout?

Last edited:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Such hand wringing.

If you think there is a code and professionalism to journalism you also haven't been paying attention.
There's absolutely a code, and there are plenty of journalists who respect it. But that code doesn't include retroactive agreement to 'off the record.' It has to be agreed upon beforehand. You can't just say 'off the record' and gain immunity from coverage. That's not how any of this works. Professional courtesy in some cases, sure. But if Sherring felt it was relevant to the public interest, she's well within her rights to publish it. Especially since she clearly did not agree to any semblance of off-the-record. It's a two-way street.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Such hand wringing.

If you think there is a code and professionalism to journalism you also haven't been paying attention.

There absolutely is a code of ethics in journalism. Any reporter worth a damn will not name an anonymous source or cite someone that's speaking off the record out of respect for them and to ensure they will ever work again in the field.

I mean, considering she isn't affiliated with any official media, she has nothing to lose, but this is still gonna make sure no one in the city will ever give her a good quote again.

Reactions: DrEasy and bert

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
There's absolutely a code, and there are plenty of journalists who respect it. But that code doesn't include retroactive agreement to 'off the record.' It has to be agreed upon beforehand. You can't just say 'off the record' and gain immunity from coverage. That's not how any of this works. Professional courtesy in some cases, sure. But if Sherring felt it was relevant to the public interest, she's well within her rights to publish it. Especially since she clearly did not agree to any semblance of off-the-record. It's a two-way street.

It might not officially go against the code if the subject says it after their comments, but it's still in very bad taste to ignore Alfie's wishes that it not be cited.

The man is a legend in this town. Why screw him over just for a bit of publicity?

Reactions: bert

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
It might not officially go against the code if the subject says it after their comments, but it's still in very bad taste to ignore Alfie's wishes that it not be cited.

The man is a legend in this town. Why screw him over just for a bit of publicity?
Yeah, I don't disagree. Poor form, for sure. It's legal and doesn't violate any code, per se. But certainly a moral grey area at best.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
She should of respected Alfie’s wishes, but mostly because I respect Alfie

But Alfie being naive saying this to a reporter and speaking about the Mayors feelings on Melnyck as well and assuming it wouldn’t cause post Swiss-Chalet-extra-gravy-storm.

But Alfie probably has a side deal with Watson to be next in line for the stadium deal and he’s probably trying to push Melnyck out the door. Dirty business, glad Alfie’s up for it

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
This is one of the reasons that journalism is at its lowest point in history, journalism is no longer an honourable profession. Polls now say that the majority of people no longer believe the news in both print and video, that it's all about the clicks or bringing attention to yourself.

This is a problem, journalism is protected by constitutional rights but what's the point if no one believes them. It's now considered an entertainment profession.

As for the content of the blog itself, nothing really noteworthy but I hope Alfie now doesn't have reporters camping on his door step trying to get a quote or stalked until he has to say something.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ok, so:

1) that journalist will never work for a major media company ever again, that bridge is burned forever.

2) this isn't really anything we didn't already know, especially if you have been paying any amount of attention at all to the organization's non-hockey news and have any ability whatsoever to read between the lines and not ignore obvious signs.

3) it's the first "public admission" (I mean, it was obviously supposed to be off the record, but you know what I mean here) from Alfie about his years-long feud with Melnyk... I wonder if his next step is to refute this interview quote, or double down and go full public with his thoughts, or say nothing and hope it goes away. My bet is on the 3rd option.

4) I also wonder what Melnyk is going to say about this. Any smart owner would just shut up, head to the Winchester, have a pint, and wait for this whole thing to blow over. Melnyk is not only NOT that owner, but also prone to emotional outbursts made at the worst time. Let's just say I have the jiffy-pop ready to go at a moment's notice.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Maybe just Maybe this is the beginning of the end of EM , not saying anytime soon but now is going to be in everyone's mind. Tired of EM running this team like one of drug companies and not a sports franchise that's city and players deserve more respect then he has shown.

Unfortunately the part about it being on everyone's mind will make things rather difficult for a lot of people (the players e.g.) if it doesn't happen in the immediate future. Uncertainty isn't really good for anybody, and if there was a backroom plan to make it happen, it had a lot better chance staying in the back room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad