News Article: Daniel Alfredsson " We Hope to get a new Owner "

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Godamn.

This, then Karlsson sold off for spare parts in a month or two.

Over/under on 10k at the home opener this year?

If they trade Karl with this story still kicking around and then draft say like a Karlsson look alike in Dobson at the draft .. oh yeah.. home opener might be ok but the attendance will plummet.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Ok, so:

1) that journalist will never work for a major media company ever again, that bridge is burned forever.

2) this isn't really anything we didn't already know, especially if you have been paying any amount of attention at all to the organization's non-hockey news and have any ability whatsoever to read between the lines and not ignore obvious signs.

3) it's the first "public admission" (I mean, it was obviously supposed to be off the record, but you know what I mean here) from Alfie about his years-long feud with Melnyk... I wonder if his next step is to refute this interview quote, or double down and go full public with his thoughts, or say nothing and hope it goes away. My bet is on the 3rd option.

4) I also wonder what Melnyk is going to say about this. Any smart owner would just shut up, head to the Winchester, have a pint, and wait for this whole thing to blow over. Melnyk is not only NOT that owner, but also prone to emotional outbursts made at the worst time. Let's just say I have the jiffy-pop ready to go at a moment's notice.

What the hell are you talking about Bonk?

You gotta use Orville, man.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
She should of respected Alfie’s wishes, but mostly because I respect Alfie

But Alfie being naive saying this to a reporter and speaking about the Mayors feelings on Melnyck as well and assuming it wouldn’t cause post Swiss-Chalet-extra-gravy-storm.

But Alfie probably has a side deal with Watson to be next in line for the stadium deal and he’s probably trying to push Melnyck out the door. Dirty business, glad Alfie’s up for it

What the hell does Watson have to do with getting to be next in line for a Standium deal when it's NCC land that's already been through the RFP process?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
As much as I love Alfie, and whether this person is a reporter (if blogger or fan, even worse), he should know better.

The bloggers are the only people in this city that are willing to expose the warts within this organization. Do you honestly believe that "the bloggers" are purposely trying to create this anti-Melnyk movement to drive people away?? These "bloggers" are fans just like you and I.

To be honest, journalistic integrity aside, I am very pleased that this story is out there. Its about time someone had the stones to make a story out of this dysfunctional organization. TSN, Sportsnet, TSN1200, the Ottawa Sun, National Post, etc, just chose to ignore the problem and hope it will go away. Has the local media or any National media told us about the scouts that were let go giving us the smallest scouting staff in the league?? Yet, the have no problem discussing the problems with Carolina's ownership, don't they?

Melnyk needs to go and however we get there doesn't matter. If it takes someone to put some "off the record" quotes out there, then so be it. She is the one that loses out.

#MelnykOut

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is one of the reasons that journalism is at its lowest point in history, journalism is no longer an honourable profession. Polls now say that the majority of people no longer believe the news in both print and video, that it's all about the clicks or bringing attention to yourself.

This is a problem, journalism is protected by constitutional rights but what's the point if no one believes them. It's now considered an entertainment profession.

As for the content of the blog itself, nothing really noteworthy but I hope Alfie now doesn't have reporters camping on his door step trying to get a quote or stalked until he has to say something.

There have always been journalists willing to burn bridges for stories, journalism is fine, the problem is twofold: one, hyper-partisanship has created an environment where people will continue to tune in to some of the junk out there, and two, there has been a campaign by some (and no, not just that guy down south of here, both sides of the spectrum have been guilty of this) to discredit media when they don't like it regardless of whether or not it's true. The problem isn't with the media, it's with a subset of the audience /rant.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Thank god for bloggers. We have a full media team with radio print and TV following the Senators with a 1980 hockey-reporters mentality - this is what fans have been asking for since the internet gave us more access - we wanted more access and this is how you get it.

Another burn on the well-heeled Ottawa sports media. The entire city is against the owner and the juicy details come from a blogger.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What the hell does Watson have to do with getting to be next in line for a Standium deal when it's NCC land that's already been through the RFP process?

Watson is a Liberal, the NCC is controlled by Liberals - it’s just good business

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If you didn't realize Alfie doesn't like the current ownership you're either in denial or not paying attention.

Part of the problem is that people are only paying attention to what Garrioch and the guys on TSN1200 say, they aren't exactly getting the true story behind whats actually going on here, instead they are getting lied to.

Not sure whats worse, reporting on a story with or completely ignoring said story and hope it goes away? I think the media's ignorance is a bigger insult to the fanbase TBH.

Alfie has played professional hockey in a Canadian city for many many years, he knew what he was doing with this quote, lets not downplay that.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
There is media (TSN1200, Gord Wilson, TSN panel) for entertainment

There is journalism (Washington Post, Globe and Mail) for reputation and realibility

Let’s not confuse the two

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Thank god for bloggers. We have a full media team with radio print and TV following the Senators with a 1980 hockey-reporters mentality - this is what fans have been asking for since the internet gave us more access - we wanted more access and this is how you get it.

Another burn on the well-heeled Ottawa sports media. The entire city is against the owner and the juicy details come from a blogger.

Real journalists/reporters wouldn't have gotten that quote from Alfie because they wouldn't have printed it per Alfie's wishes/respected the code of ethics, so I'm not sure if your point here is valid. Fans don't want these juicy stories at the expense of everything else.

Reactions: DrEasy

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
So question....

Now that Ken Warren is writing an article quoting Sherring's "off-the-record" comments and that TGOR is also discussing these "off-the record" comments, doesn't that make them just as bad as you are all saying Sherring is??

Real journalists/reporters wouldn't have gotten that quote from Alfie

The "so-called" real journalists are now running with a quote that a "blogger" made..seems worse to me, no?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He never knew she was media, she never let it known. She assumed he knew who she was. She never presented who she was.

She seems to be trying real hard to convince herself she did nothing wrong. Off the record means something, whether this bat is too stubborn or not. Alfie is just disrespected. If someone like Alfie asks for his words not to be printed, don't print them. He's earned that. Even after the conversation has happened.

yeah this is exactly what it sounds like lmao. shes like BUT BUT the age of social media?!?! so pathetic.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Ottawa Sun journalists are barely able to call themselves journalists. She's just some blogger now which is many steps below even that lesser bar.
Enjoy your 15 minutes Susan. If she believes that Alfie truly thinks that she is a journalist, then she is deluded.
Alfie may have inexpertly used the 'off the record' card. In his mind, he assumed she was a decent human being and not a parasite. Lesson learned for Alfie. And hopefully nobody gives her another quote. Ever.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So question....

Now that Ken Warren is writing an article quoting Sherring's "off-the-record" comments and that TGOR is also discussing these "off-the record" comments, doesn't that make them just as bad as you are all saying Sherring is??

The "so-called" real journalists are now running with a quote that a "blogger" made..seems worse to me, no?
its a story now though... its out there.. are people suppose to ignore it? if she said it off the record to them then yeah i would question why theyre talking about it.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
So question....

Like I said earlier, the media better be grateful that Sherring tossed her integrity out the window so they could get this quote consequence-free. They're going full "vulture" on this.

Reactions: DrEasy and bert

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
If anything, all that will come of this is Melnyk adding another $50M to any purchase offer from an ownership group that includes Daniel Alfredsson.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
She should of respected Alfie’s wishes, but mostly because I respect Alfie

But Alfie being naive saying this to a reporter and speaking about the Mayors feelings on Melnyck as well and assuming it wouldn’t cause post Swiss-Chalet-extra-gravy-storm.

But Alfie probably has a side deal with Watson to be next in line for the stadium deal and he’s probably trying to push Melnyck out the door.
Dirty business, glad Alfie’s up for it

A few posters over this year have brought up the idea of Alfredssona s part of an ownership group.

I've got to ask.....How? Unless Daniel had a rich uncle that died and left a few billion to play with, having another cash-strapped ownership group isn't going to help the Sens. And I seriously doubt any bigwig billionaires are simply going to hand Alfredsson a piece in a half-billion dollar franchise just for name recognition.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So question....

You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. There's nothing wrong with media reporting on this at this stage.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
This is what people kind of wanted isn't it? Perhaps not exactly the way it transpired but to not realize that the media will spin, twist or do something behind someone's back is delusional. People were begging that the Melnyk out campaign be spoken about on the radio, that more awareness should be brought forward against this teams ownership and mis-management. What better way to do that then to get the most iconic figure in Ottawa sports (not to mention the mayor) to pretty much convey what the majority of the fanbase is thinking.

Both Alfie and the reporter dug their own grave with their conversation. The impact reflects significantly more negatively on the reporter than it does Alfie. All of this now forces Ottawa media to discuss the matter which again, is what most of us wanted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad