News Article: Daniel Alfredsson " We Hope to get a new Owner "

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Oh my.

giphy.gif
LOL

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
As much as I hate Melynk...this is NOT cool. Private conversations and off the record comments shouldn't be published like this (unless someone is admitting to mass murder or something horrific like that). This is completely unacceptable.
Not totally disagreeing.

However, when you deal with the media, you should be aware that there’s a risk. I love Alfie... but if this is really how this all unfolded, he’s dealt with the media often enough to know better.

Reactions: Cosmix and coladin

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Obviously this breaks the code of a journalist to put out a story like this when the source is off the record. That is not cool by any means. I DO NOT CONDONE.

But the Eugene fan club have hammered on the rest of us for so long and this is kind of a nice presentation of what the rest of us know, particularly those of us who actually live in Ottawa and have our ears to the ground. We all know Alfie hates Melnyk and this isn't news for people in the know but maybe this will open a few keen eyes. Bryan Murray was the only reason Alfredsson came back to Ottawa and its no coincidence that once he left us, Alfie was out the door. I really hope that one day a good, sane and affluent owner comes to town and Alfie can come back to run part of it. I think he's brilliant and charismatic just like his mentor in Murray.

And prepare yourselves once the municipal election season begins. Watson is going to take a hard anti-Melnyk stance, which I've predicted before. I support it, frankly. Not saying I'll vote for him, but I'm super weary of Melnyk having any hand in planning such a big project in our city. This could become the heart of our home and he would f*** it up. Get someone else in hear with deeper pockets and an appetite to build.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. I’m sure the players and other owners want a new owner in Ottawa as well.

I'm pretty sure most of us were 99% sure Alfredsson felt this way. But actually putting it out there like this, and officially attaching his name to it, will cause headaches for Alfie and his family. That isn't fair to him, and it makes other players sit up and take notice about the lack of privacy/confidentiality of this city. Definitely not a good look for the media (even though she is just a blogger) and the city.

She could've used a bit of tact, and said 'former NHLer with the Sens' and 'politicians within city council'.

Knowing Melynk and his ego, this might push him away from selling the team, and doing something stupid out of spite. And I wouldn't put it past him.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not totally disagreeing.

However, when you deal with the media, you should be aware that there’s a risk. I love Alfie... but if this is really how this all unfolded, he’s dealt with the media often enough to know better.
He never knew she was media, she never let it known. She assumed he knew who she was. She never presented who she was.

She seems to be trying real hard to convince herself she did nothing wrong. Off the record means something, whether this bat is too stubborn or not. Alfie is just disrespected. If someone like Alfie asks for his words not to be printed, don't print them. He's earned that. Even after the conversation has happened.

Last edited:

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
He never knew she was media, she never let it known. She assumed he knew who she was. She never presented who she was.

She seems to be trying real hard to convince herself she did nothing wrong

Fair enough. On the same token, unless she’s a close friend, why would he even share that opinion to a stranger, or even an acquaintance?

Again, I will always love Alfie, but if this is true, he really should know better.

Reactions: Cosmix and coladin

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Fair enough. On the same token, unless she’s a close friend, why would he even share that opinion to a stranger, or even an acquaintance?

Again, I will always love Alfie, but if this is true, he really should know better.
There are tons of things that people say, that you just know not to write. He's shared that, with many. It's public knowledge for a reason, everyone knew about it. People that know just didn't quote a conversation and post it as a piece of news. You really think this washed up bat is the first person from the media Alfie has said this too? She's just the first slimeball to grease him.

If he asks you after he'd like that to be off the record, don't print it. Don't cite semantics of "it only counts if he says it prior and he asked after". Alfie, of all people, should have gained enough respect for that to be granted.

Last edited:

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Obviously this breaks the code of a journalist to put out a story like this when the source is off the record. That is not cool by any means. I DO NOT CONDONE.

I mean, based on the article I read on TSN he allegedly said "off the record" after he'd made the comments. If that's true, Sherring is under no obligation to not publish what he said. Going "off the record" or on "background" has to be agreed upon by both the reporter and the subject. Otherwise, people could just say whatever the f*** they want and say "off the record" afterwards like they'e using the immunity token on Survivor.

I dunno, this is sort of complicated. Did he know she was a reporter? If not, why did he say "off the record" after? Either way, it was a careless comment in a public setting with plenty of media around. I love Alfie but he screwed up here and he's responsible for his actions. Glad he said it though.

EDIT: I checked her twitter and from what I can gather, she's a blogger? lol. I was under the impression that she was a reporter for the Sun. I guess it's a little more complicated then, especially if Alfie thought he was just talking to a fan. Either way, it was careless.

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I'm pretty sure most of us were 99% sure Alfredsson felt this way. But actually putting it out there like this, and officially attaching his name to it, will cause headaches for Alfie and his family. That isn't fair to him, and it makes other players sit up and take notice about the lack of privacy/confidentiality of this city. Definitely not a good look for the media (even though she is just a blogger) and the city.

She could've used a bit of tact, and said 'former NHLer with the Sens' and 'politicians within city council'.

Knowing Melynk and his ego, this might push him away from selling the team, and doing something stupid out of spite. And I wouldn't put it past him.

While I agree with everything else, no one should be holding their opinion back in fear of Melnyk screwing us even further in spite. He's already doing that anyway. I think Alfie concerns about this getting out was more about keeping the general peace rather than worrying about hurting Melnyk's ego.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
There are tons of things that people say, that you just know not to write. He's shared that, with many. It's public knowledge for a reason, everyone knew about it. People that know just didn't quote a conversation and post it as a piece of news. You really think this washed up bat is the first person from the media Alfie has said this too? She's just the first slimeball to grease him.

If he asks you after he'd like that to be off the record, don't print it. Don't cite semantics of "it only counts if he says it prior and he asked after". Alfie, of all people, should have gained enough respect for that to be granted.
Ok.

I didn’t cite anything.

What answer would you like from me?
I change my view point and you must be right...?

In other words, your view of journalism quoting someone off the record only counts if the said person, in this case Alfie, has gained respect? Is this really about journalism or the quoted individual...

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I mean, based on the article I read on TSN he allegedly said "off the record" after he'd made the comments. If that's true, Sherring is under no obligation to not publish what he said. Going "off the record" or on "background" has to be agreed upon by both the reporter and the subject. Otherwise, people could just say whatever the **** they want and say "off the record" afterwards like they'e using the immunity token on Survivor.

I dunno, this is sort of complicated. Did he know she was a reporter? If not, why did he say "off the record" after? Either way, it was a careless comment in a public setting with plenty of media around. I love Alfie but he screwed up here and he's responsible for his actions. Glad he said it though.

If the biggest, most respected sports personality in Ottawa history realizes he may have spoken out of turn and promptly ask that you not print his words, you do it. It's pretty sneaky of her to do this one way or another and I suspect she knew he didn't realize they were talking "on the record" at all.

Reactions: bert and DrEasy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I mean, based on the article I read on TSN he allegedly said "off the record" after he'd made the comments. If that's true, Sherring is under no obligation to not publish what he said. Going "off the record" or on "background" has to be agreed upon by both the reporter and the subject. Otherwise, people could just say whatever the **** they want and say "off the record" afterwards like they'e using the immunity token on Survivor.

EDIT: I checked her twitter and from what I can gather, she's a blogger? lol. I was under the impression that she was a reporter for the Sun. I guess it's a little more complicated then, especially if Alfie thought he was just talking to a fan. Either way, it was careless.

Considering pretty much everyone has a social media account of some sort, saying 'off the record' can apply to just about everyone these days. There are a lot of things peoplet alk about in private conversations that they'd rather not have their name attached to publicly.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
If the biggest, most respected sports personality in Ottawa history realizes he may have spoken out of turn and promptly ask that you not print his words, you do it. It's pretty sneaky of her to do this one way or another and I suspect she knew he didn't realize they were talking "on the record" at all.

Actually, this is exactly what she shouldn't do. It's not her job to obfuscate what people say based on the amount of clout they have.

But, as I said in my edit, Alfie probably wasn't aware that she was a reporter. She's a freaking blogger for ffs. Either way, he should be more careful.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

Goodness... if he thought he was talking to fan and say that... lol

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
she is a former Ottawa Sun writer, I would credit her more than a random blogger which she is currently.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ok.

I didn’t cite anything.

What answer would you like from me?
I change my view point and you must be right...?

In other words, your view of journalism quoting someone off the record only counts if the said person, in this case Alfie, has gained respect? Is this really about journalism or the quoted individual...
I don't want anything from you, whatsoever, could care less your view point

Reactions: bert

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
He can say it to fans more freely lol, cuz unless a fan is recording no one will believe it.
He can say it to fans more freely lol, cuz unless a fan is recording no one will believe it.
My point is, really... why the hell Is Alfie going around talking about that stuff to anyone at all, in public?

My point #2: If McKenzie reported some juicy, off the record convo he shared with Melnyk...

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad