News Article: Daniel Alfredsson " We Hope to get a new Owner "

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
The only way we will know for sure is if we start a forensic audi ;)
7ea4e6b89d00cb00ae0f6a7067008148.jpg

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Melnyk seems like the type who wouldn't accept that he's going to not be the owner until the last possible moment that it is forced upon him.

If there's any truth to the team coming close to dealing Karl+Ryan at the deadline, that makes me think that regardless of whether things are crumbling down around Melnyk, they have been operating as if the team isn't going to be sold. Why go through all that trouble and drama if the team is just going to be sold?

Not to mention, yesterday's hire of a COO who has ties to Melnyk. While he has a strong resume, the Melnyk ties make it seem like a Melnyk hire.

As far as Dorion's extension goes, he's a smart man to have gotten it. He is closer to this and knows a lot more than us about what might be going on. If there's any hint of ownership instability, getting that extension ensures that if the team is sold and the new ownership wants their own guys in management, Dorion will still get paid. While we'll never know if that is part of what played into him getting an extension, if Dorion was the one to push for it, I'd imagine that had to be at least one of the reasons. Another reason I'd guess would be that if Dorion is asked to make an unwinnable trade by moving Karlsson, or at the very least not asked but put in a position where he has to, he probably wanted some job security so that Melnyk couldn't just throw him under the bus a month later when the fans revolt over the trade.

Reactions: aragorn

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I think that's a bit of a stretch.

It's more plausible that he had to offer Dorion comparative pennies on the dollar to get him to shed millions in payroll.

If someone is put in a position to make an unwinnable trade by dealing away the best player in franchise history, they probably want some financial security in order to dissuade their boss from going on the Bob McCown show a month later once fans revolt and saying "What the hell was that, Ryan and Karlsson for Cody Glass and some late picks? That's why I fired him. It was unacceptable to me, Karlsson was like a son to me!"

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not to mention, yesterday's hire of a COO who has ties to Melnyk. While he has a strong resume, the Melnyk ties make it seem like a Melnyk hire.

Of course it was a melnyk hire... who else would have the authority to hire for that position right now? We have no team president (aside from interim Melnyk).

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Of course it was a melnyk hire... who else would have the authority to hire for that position right now? We have no team president (aside from interim Melnyk).

What I mean is, if a sale of the team is actually being finalized after the SCF, why hire a Melnyk guy if under a month later there will be new ownership? Wouldn't it make more sense to just wait a month and allow new ownership to install their guy?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What I mean is, if a sale of the team is actually being finalized after the SCF, why hire a Melnyk guy if under a month later there will be new ownership? Wouldn't it make more sense to just wait a month and allow new ownership to install their guy?

True enough. Though, if you're in talks and have all but finalized a deal and are awaiting the SCF before announcing, I could see the incoming group asking to get their guy in place ahead of time. But then why announce that before the sale is announced.

I think the whole sale and missing payroll thing is bs tbh. There is so much dislike for Melnyk out there, people will inevitably make crap up just to make him look bad (not that he needs help), and people will believe it because it gives them a glimmer of hope

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think the whole sale and missing payroll thing is bs tbh. There is so much dislike for Melnyk out there, people will inevitably make crap up just to make him look bad (not that he needs help), and people will believe it because it gives them a glimmer of hope

I don't believe it either honestly, but there's sooooo much smoke, you'd have to think there's a fire somewhere.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't believe it either honestly, but there's sooooo much smoke, you'd have to think there's a fire somewhere.

Yeah, there's likely some grain of truth out there that has snowballed into this, but that original seed likely isn't enough to see any real change come from it.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Speaking of, what has Melnyk been doing as CEO so far I wonder. Well, I guess besides from hiring that guy.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Melnyk seems like the type who wouldn't accept that he's going to not be the owner until the last possible moment that it is forced upon him.

If there's any truth to the team coming close to dealing Karl+Ryan at the deadline, that makes me think that regardless of whether things are crumbling down around Melnyk, they have been operating as if the team isn't going to be sold. Why go through all that trouble and drama if the team is just going to be sold?

As far as Dorion's extension goes, he's a smart man to have gotten it. He is closer to this and knows a lot more than us about what might be going on. If there's any hint of ownership instability, getting that extension ensures that if the team is sold and the new ownership wants their own guys in management, Dorion will still get paid. While we'll never know if that is part of what played into him getting an extension, if Dorion was the one to push for it, I'd imagine that had to be at least one of the reasons. Another reason I'd guess would be that if Dorion is asked to make an unwinnable trade by moving Karlsson, or at the very least not asked but put in a position where he has to, he probably wanted some job security so that Melnyk couldn't just throw him under the bus a month later when the fans revolt over the trade.

We are in complete agreement here.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
He was also awesome against the Islanders, though not to many folks remember that series...

TOR: 18 GP .909sv%
PHI: 12 GP .956 sv%
NYI: 5 GP .948 sv%
NJD: 7 GP .905 sv%

Is there a button I can push that says "You're right but I don't like it"?

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
He was also awesome against the Islanders, though not to many folks remember that series...

TOR: 18 GP .909sv%
PHI: 12 GP .956 sv%
NYI: 5 GP .948 sv%
NJD: 7 GP .905 sv%

I don’t really care what anyone says that was all the system just as much as Lalime. The Flyers scored two goals in five games against us one playoff series and it wasn’t Lalime stealing the show, it was actually Cechmanek absolutely standing on his head to somehow even push that series to five games.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
Lalime was great with the cheater blades. Once the NHL banned them, he was average at best.

The team in front of him was fantastic and he still managed to fail

Really?...Like that time when the Leafs swept us and the Sens didn't even manage to score a goal until the third period of game 4...and if I remember correctly it was Chris Phillips coming back after injury who scored that goal...you mean that fantastic team?

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I don’t really care what anyone says that was all the system just as much as Lalime. The Flyers scored two goals in five games against us one playoff series and it wasn’t Lalime stealing the show, it was actually Cechmanek absolutely standing on his head to somehow even push that series to five games.

I recall Cechmanek being quite average actually.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I recall Cechmanek being quite average actually.

I remember Cechmanek as the most hot-or-cold goalie I have ever seen in my life.

He'd win 1-0 games where he'd be utterly brilliant, or lose 8-7 games where you'd swear he picked the game up last week and hadn't learned how to skate yet.

Guy was the ultimate wildcard.

Reactions: Daffy

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I remember Cechmanek as the most hot-or-cold goalie I have ever seen in my life.

He'd win 1-0 games where he'd be utterly brilliant, or lose 8-7 games where you'd swear he picked the game up last week and hadn't learned how to skate yet.

No doubt about it he was as streaky as they came. I’d still take him over Lalame though and pray for the hot streak. (Witty burn I know. )

I just hated Lalime and his pure butterfly style. Drop to your knees no matter where the shot is coming from. Ugh.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Really?...Like that time when the Leafs swept us and the Sens didn't even manage to score a goal until the third period of game 4...and if I remember correctly it was Chris Phillips coming back after injury who scored that goal...you mean that fantastic team?

G3 = 3-2 loss
3rd period - Hossa & Alfredsson scored to tie it, but lost in OT

G4 = 3-1 loss
1st period - Phillips scored the first goal of the game

lmaooooo and the one time he DOESNT go full butterfly this happens:

IIRC, a few players came back miraculously from injury just before the playoffs started, including Lalime from a knee injury. Perhaps he wasn't ready and we would have been better off starting that series with Prusek.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Roman Cechmanek was actually the day-to-day version of year-to-year Anderson.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
G3 = 3-2 loss
3rd period - Hossa & Alfredsson scored to tie it, but lost in OT

G4 = 3-1 loss
1st period - Phillips scored the first goal of the game

IIRC, a few players came back miraculously from injury just before the playoffs started, including Lalime from a knee injury. Perhaps he wasn't ready and we would have been better off starting that series with Prusek.

right....sorry...was game three they scored their first goal of the series late in the 3rd period...still..close enough.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
No doubt about it he was as streaky as they came. I’d still take him over Lalame though and pray for the hot streak. (Witty burn I know. )

I just hated Lalime and his pure butterfly style. Drop to your knees no matter where the shot is coming from. Ugh.

I don’t like that style either, but Lalime isn’t the only guy to play that way. I guess that’s the way they teach goalies to play in hockey schools. I dunno, seems weird to me.

Coors19

Jul 18, 2011
Alfie knows something is up, he wouldn't slipped up if he didnt. He's been around the media for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad