News Article: Daniel Alfredsson " We Hope to get a new Owner "

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It was obvious to anybody watching at the time that Patrick Lalime was the real star on the team. I will never forgive Alfredsson for Lalime being thrown under the bus.

Pretty sure he holds the modern day record for single season playoff sv% among goalies to play more than a round (shared with Quick), guy was a stud... against the flyers at least.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Pretty sure he holds the modern day record for single season playoff sv% among goalies to play more than a round (shared with Quick), guy was a stud... against the flyers at least.

He was mostly great! ... except when he wasn't... He sure did let in some stinkers at almost the worst possible time.

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
Twitter is ablaze with rumours again today concerning the Sens.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">1- Heavy Rumour Circulating in Financial Circle here in <a href="News about #Ottawa on Twitter">#Ottawa</a><a href="#Sens hashtag on Twitter">#Sens</a> owner <a href="#MelnykOut hashtag on Twitter">#MelnykOut</a> and NHL worked on a bridge loan. <br>Payroll couldn’t be met. NHL bridges the loan based on Cirque ownership around the corner. <a href="Marc Cohodes (@AlderLaneeggs) | Twitter">@AlderLaneeggs</a></p>&mdash; X - Mike Smith (@projectsmith) <a href="">June 1, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yep. A great career that will forever be defined by Joe Nieuwendyk.
I fondly remember the epic goaltending battle for the ages where all time greats Lalime squared of against Cechmanec in what might very well have been the lowest scoring series of the modern NHL: 5 games, 13 goals (2 into Empty Nets and 2 in OT).

Reactions: Hutz

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Lalime was great when we played the Flyers.

Against everyone else...not so much.

Reactions: Hutz

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Oh man, payroll issues again? Hopefully the follow-through is quick (this summer) and we don't have to suffer through a season of discontent.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Oh man, payroll issues again? Hopefully the follow-through is quick (this summer) and we don't have to suffer through a season of discontent.
Would explain clearing out the front office, scouts, sending Phaneuf for a lower salaried Gaborik, Thompson, Brassard for futures, etc. That was a lot of cost cutting in a couple of months. Might also explain the indecision on moving to Lebreton and the Alfie comments may not have been such a "slip". Please be true

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Would explain clearing out the front office, scouts, sending Phaneuf for a lower salaried Gaborik, Thompson, Brassard for futures, etc. That was a lot of cost cutting in a couple of months. Might also explain the indecision on moving to Lebreton and the Alfie comments may not have been such a "slip". Please be true

When so many moves are laden with cost cutting and cost certainty measures, like the teams aversion to paying bonuses, to the point of giving up futures, is a real killer........

Last edited:

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
How about the extension of Dorion, if Melnyk knew his days were numbered it's an easy way to saddle someone else with that contract while he saves pennies in the short term. You generally don't rush to sign a 3yr extension for a GM who took your team from ECF to second last in the league. I'm not too sure of many GM's that even survive that let alone get an extension out of it. Also makes sense as to why the coaching staff is returning, don't have to double pay.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
He was also awesome against the Islanders, though not to many folks remember that series...

TOR: 18 GP .909sv%
PHI: 12 GP .956 sv%
NYI: 5 GP .948 sv%
NJD: 7 GP .905 sv%
Forgot about the Isles series.
Just remember him being the 2nd best goalie on the ice everytime we played the Leafs and Devils.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Cujo and Belfour were well past their peak years. Still good goalies, but not in their prime.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Forgot about the Isles series.
Just remember him being the 2nd best goalie on the ice everytime we played the Leafs and Devils.
To be fair, the Devils had a first ballot HOF goalie, and Toronto had Belfour or Joseph. Most goalies would have been the 2nd best on the ice against those teams.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
So, did Alfie tell Sherring that Cujo or Lalime was a good play-off goalie? Or was it Mike Smith? This thread has me confused. Is Melnyk buying Cirque de Soleil?

Reactions: pzeeman

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Lalime was great with the cheater blades. Once the NHL banned them, he was average at best.

The team in front of him was fantastic and he still managed to fail.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Cujo and Belfour were well past their peak years. Still good goalies, but not in their prime.
Eh, I disagree on Cujo but not strongly enough to argue it vehemently. My point in this case is that there's no shame in saying that your peak years weren't good enough to beat Cujo or Belfour. Also a forgotten storyline from that first Leafs series with Lalime: the 2000-01 series saw us score 3 goals in 4 games. Offence was far more of an issue than goaltending.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Eh, I disagree on Cujo but not strongly enough to argue it vehemently. My point in this case is that there's no shame in saying that your peak years weren't good enough to beat Cujo or Belfour. Also a forgotten storyline from that first Leafs series with Lalime: the 2000-01 series saw us score 3 goals in 4 games. Offence was far more of an issue than goaltending.
Not a big surprise with Yashin mailing it in as payback for being forced to honour his contract after a year long holdout.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Belfour tied the 10th best sv% in the league (.918) in 2003-04 and coming off a vezina nomination the year before. He was more than just a good goalie at that stage in his career. Joseph fits that description a bit better, but was still top half of the league imo, and was still getting Vezina nods including being a finalist the first year we faced Toronto.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
How about the extension of Dorion, if Melnyk knew his days were numbered it's an easy way to saddle someone else with that contract while he saves pennies in the short term. You generally don't rush to sign a 3yr extension for a GM who took your team from ECF to second last in the league. I'm not too sure of many GM's that even survive that let alone get an extension out of it. Also makes sense as to why the coaching staff is returning, don't have to double pay.

I think that's a bit of a stretch.

It's more plausible that he had to offer Dorion comparative pennies on the dollar to get him to shed millions in payroll.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I think that's a bit of a stretch.

It's more plausible that he had to offer Dorion comparative pennies on the dollar to get him to shed millions in payroll.
It is a stretch however I wouldn't put it past Melnyk. If he's being more or less forced out his personality is such that he could very likely make a bunch of vindictive moves in an attempt to sabotage team success with new ownership. The only way we will know for sure is if we start a forensic audi ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad