News Article: Daniel Alfredsson " We Hope to get a new Owner "

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
A few posters over this year have brought up the idea of Alfredssona s part of an ownership group.

I've got to ask.....How? Unless Daniel had a rich uncle that died and left a few billion to play with, having another cash-strapped ownership group isn't going to help the Sens. And I seriously doubt any bigwig billionaires are simply going to hand Alfredsson a piece in a half-billion dollar franchise just for name recognition.

It depends on the size of the “piece”.

If Alfredsson did not want to reveal his feelings or activities to the public, he should have not said what he is quoted as saying to people he does not know and cannot trust to keep his comments confidential. It appears he made an error in judgement.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
It would be awesome if Melnyk sell the team, but im not holding my breath i dont wanna die of asphyxia. ;)

The only way he sells the teams is if he's force too.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think he's referring to a violation to the spirit of the profession/ professional courtesy, and basic human decency, rather than an actual legal code of conduct that is somehow binding and answerable to a governing body or something.

At least, that's the context I'm picking up.

Very late to respond but yes, that's basically what I saw saying. It's pretty funny to see the usual suspects attack me and others for upholding journalism ethics. It's all they got apparently.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Its like little kids in the play yard. Watson Alfie and Melnyk lmaoooo. They all seem so scummy. Alfie is off the payroll now so he throws the owner under the bus who paid him millions to play for his team. Melnyk is too full of himself to care about the fans till everyone shows how much they want to keep karlsson.

These guys need to all stop talking and actually figure out what to do going forward

And there it is.

Calling Alfie scummy is such L.O.L.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Um I'm not sure if there's anything they can do legally or through the NHL rules but even so, if there was SOMETHING that could be done to replace our garbage owner I would hope that avenue would be explored.

Point is there is nothing anyone can do to force the owner of a business to sell their business.

You may not like the current Government, and you can do something about that, next election.

You may not like your boss, so you could quite your job and move to another.

You may not like the current owner of your favourite sports franchise, so you could support another team, but that is highly unlikely, therefore your only course of action is to wait until that owner decides to sell .......... there is nothing anyone can do to force an owner to sell, if they don't want to.

Reactions: BuckyDornster

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Point is there is nothing anyone can do to force the owner of a business to sell their business.

You may not like the current Government, and you can do something about that, next election.

You may not like the current owner of your favourite sports franchise, so you could support another team, but that is highly unlikely, therefore your only course of action is to wait until that owner decides to sell .......... there is nothing anyone can do to force an owner to sell, if they don't want to.

That's not really true though. We just watched an NFL owner get pushed out and there was the very high profile case of the NBA forcing Sterling to sell the Clippers. Very different circumstances mind you, but it's happened before and it will probably happen again.

Reactions: Deku

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
It would be awesome if Melnyk sell the team, but im not holding my breath i dont wanna die of asphyxia. ;)

The only way he sells the teams is if he's force too.

There is no way for anyone to force him to sell his franchise, unless he did something so egregious that the NHL was forced to intervene.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
That's not really true though. We just watched an NFL owner get pushed out and there was the very high profile case of the NBA forcing Sterling to sell the Clippers. Very different circumstances mind you, but it's happened before and it will probably happen again.

Like I posted earlier....There is no way for anyone to force him to sell his franchise, unless he did something so egregious that the NHL was forced to intervene.

I don't see that happening, do you?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

What are you talking about? Lots can be done by the fans, media and people with an interest in the long term success of the Senators (Alfie, The Mayor) and lots is being done. The NHL has stated twice in the last 6 months the Senators are not for sale to quell the unrest, that’s pressure. The billboards, the season ticket base, the national conversation.

But the reality is Melnyck is running his team into the ground and it’s the fans, Alfie and others that are urging him to leave. Melnyck is ruining his product not the fans. He’s pissed off essentially everyone (except you of course, his loyal defender).

It’s juts so odd you’ll cheer for Melnyck over Alfie. Why do pay attention if not for the players? Why are you invested in Melnyck so much? Why does he deseve this loyalty your granting him?

Reactions: Hutz

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It seems like neither Melnyk nor Alfie are class acts.
Can you expand on your logic here? He's not a class act because he gave a public statement that didn't crap on the org when he left, or he's not a class act because he shared his personal opinion on what's best for the organization and the city with a blogger/reporter but realizing that it might cause a public shit storm, asked the reporter not to publish? Or is there some other reason you think he's not a class act now?

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
When you look at Bettman's presser yesterday, him and Bill Daly feel no need to really comment on Alfie. On the surface, they don't. But there's almost an underlying tone of confidence in the situation at hand; and no need to address a situation that really is a situation. This, to me, hints that positive change could be coming.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bettman-talks-quebec-city-bid-senators-ownership/

Mierens just sold 10 auto dealerships-that frees up quite a bit of capital. They were part of the Devcore bid.

Alfie's comments may be indicative of a process of negotiation-whereby the team is not for sale but an offer is out there and Eugene hasn't agreed to a price yet.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
It’s juts so odd you’ll cheer for Melnyck over Alfie. Why do pay attention if not for the players? Why are you invested in Melnyck so much? Why does he deseve this loyalty your granting him?

Again, putting words into my mouth. I'm not, and have never been "cheering" for Melnyk.

Please scour these threads and find a post I've made that would lead you to make such a false claim.

A number of you (H&B EM Crew) want to drag everyone into your camp, and if someone does not Hate & Blame EM, as much as you do, you foist a label on them, and presume to know what they mean when they don't tow your line.

I just accept the reality of the moment, and right now the Owner is Melnyk, and he's clearly stated that he's not selling, no matter how many of you want him to ...... and you're so worked up about it, and can't understand why everyone else is not onboard the hate train.

I would welcome new ownership, but I realize it's not happening anytime in the foreseeable future, and have decided not to live with my knickers in a knot, as it seems you've already done.

Reactions: IWantMyParade

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
When you look at Bettman's presser yesterday, him and Bill Daly feel no need to really comment on Alfie. On the surface, they don't. But there's almost an underlying tone of confidence in the situation at hand; and no need to address a situation that really is a situation. This, to me, hints that positive change could be coming.

Bettman talks Quebec City bid, Senators ownership - Sportsnet.ca

Mierens just sold 10 auto dealerships-that frees up quite a bit of capital. They were part of the Devcore bid.

Alfie's comments may be indicative of a process of negotiation-whereby the team is not for sale but an offer is out there and Eugene hasn't agreed to a price yet.

I'm not really willing to read to much into it at the moment. If Melnyk decides to sell, great, but until something more than speculation fueled by financial actions taken by prospective buyers, I'm not letting myself get emotionally invested in a potential sale. You can say where there's smoke there's fire, and that's all well and good, but in this particular scenario, you can only get burned if you start believing in the fire before you see it, not by ignoring the potential signs.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

Bettman talks Quebec City bid, Senators ownership - Sportsnet.ca

Something is in the works for sure. The unfilled positions, Alfie's comments, Greenberg's tweet, the silence on the Sens front. We'll have new ownership sooner than later. Hopefully it happens before Karlsson is shipped out.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Nah, it seems to me that Bettman completely dismisses the implication that the team could be for sale.

In my mind, what's more likely is that Melnyk is trying to get the City of Ottawa to pony up some of the arena financing, and that Bettman is helping him with that negotiation. They tried it in Edmonton and they tried it in Calgary. It's in the NHL's interest to get civic funding of any new arena.

The fact that Alfredsson said he hoped for a new owner isn't the news. It's that he implicated Watson in that same position.

Reactions: Hutz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad