News Article: Daniel Alfredsson " We Hope to get a new Owner "

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Nah, it seems to me that Bettman completely dismisses the implication that the team could be for sale.

In my mind, what's more likely is that Melnyk is trying to get the City of Ottawa to pony up some of the arena financing, and that Bettman is helping him with that negotiation. They tried it in Edmonton and they tried it in Calgary. It's in the NHL's interest to get civic funding of any new arena.

The fact that Alfredsson said he hoped for a new owner isn't the news. It's that he implicated Watson in that same position.
One thing to keep in mind is that it is two very different things to have the franchise for sale on the open market, and Melnyk being approached with an offer he can't refuse. The team doesn't need to be posted for everyone to see on MLS or AutoTrader for a buyer to be "found". That's not how deals worth hundreds of millions are done.

IMO it is likely that one day we will hear serious rumblings of a sale, and within a day or two the deal will be done.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nah, it seems to me that Bettman completely dismisses the implication that the team could be for sale.

In my mind, what's more likely is that Melnyk is trying to get the City of Ottawa to pony up some of the arena financing, and that Bettman is helping him with that negotiation. They tried it in Edmonton and they tried it in Calgary. It's in the NHL's interest to get civic funding of any new arena.

The fact that Alfredsson said he hoped for a new owner isn't the news. It's that he implicated Watson in that same position.

Bettman's job is to act in the interest of the current owners, so it's no surprise he'd dismiss any implications right now as if he let out that Melnyk was interested in selling, it could hurt his bargaining position. Bettman would only acknowledge a potential for the franchise to be sold if Melnyk were actively looking to sell but couldn't find interested parties. In the current environment, there appears to be people who either are, or would be interested in buying the team and keeping it here, so there's no need for him to get involved other than towing the party line.

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Very late to respond but yes, that's basically what I saw saying. It's pretty funny to see the usual suspects attack me and others for upholding journalism ethics. It's all they got apparently.

1. ive 'attacked' you before? if thats the case it was probably deserved. I wouldnt know your content other than to see your name, so that seems pretty ridiculous. I dont recall ever having any problem with you?
2. you arent upholding any jounalistic ethics, if you were you would understand how they work. What you and bonktastic (who i enjoy on this board) are defending is some sort of 'im a local celebrity and i shouldnt be embarrassed b/c reasons.

what you are 'bascially saying' is that if someone is well liked enough or has enough cachet that they should be able to impose that will to edit their own interviews.
this wasnt at a private backyard BBQ, he was at the public launching of the mayor's re-election campaign where he was a featured player.

if you were for ethics in journalism you would be chastising Alfie for making the retroactive request knowing the position in which it puts the reporter.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
1. ive 'attacked' you before? if thats the case it was probably deserved. I wouldnt know your content other than to see your name, so that seems pretty ridiculous. I dont recall ever having any problem with you?
2. you arent upholding any jounalistic ethics, if you were you would understand how they work. What you and bonktastic (who i enjoy on this board) are defending is some sort of 'im a local celebrity and i shouldnt be embarrassed b/c reasons.

what you are 'bascially saying' is that if someone is well liked enough or has enough cachet that they should be able to impose that will to edit their own interviews.
this wasnt at a private backyard BBQ, he was at the public launching of the mayor's re-election campaign where he was a featured player.

if you were for ethics in journalism you would be chastising Alfie for making the retroactive request knowing the position in which it puts the reporter.

Agreed 100%. Sad that Alfie put himself in that position, but he did.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

This happens literally all the time though.

I mean, we all know Alfie is probably too honest for his own good, but I don't see anyway how he's getting blowback for this.

RealSpartan

Nov 2, 2016
Rumour alert:

A little birdie told me yesterday that, apparently, some portion/all of the Devcore group is a creditor of Melnyk's (i.e. they have loaned him money to stay afloat). That same rumour was "confirmed" to me by a second, dissociated little birdie. Both birdies have some verifiable connections to Sens alumni, who are the sources of this information.

If true, imagine they pull the plug on him and call for their money ... then what for Melnyk?

But then again, if they're seeking the team, why haven't they already called in for their cash to jam him up?

Too many questions can be asked about this but I thought it juicy enough to share. Anyone else heard this?

End rumour alert.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Rumour alert:

A little birdie told me yesterday that, apparently, some portion/all of the Devcore group is a creditor of Melnyk's (i.e. they have loaned him money to stay afloat). That same rumour was "confirmed" to me by a second, dissociated little birdie. Both birdies have some verifiable connections to Sens alumni, who are the sources of this information.

If true, imagine they pull the plug on him and call for their money ... then what for Melnyk?

But then again, if they're seeking the team, why haven't they already called in for their cash to jam him up?

Too many questions can be asked about this but I thought it juicy enough to share. Anyone else heard this?

End rumour alert.

You can't just ask for a loan back there's a contract protecting Melnyk here.

Reactions: Sensung

R2010

May 23, 2011
Rumour alert:

End rumour alert.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Point is there is nothing anyone can do to force the owner of a business to sell their business.

You may not like the current Government, and you can do something about that, next election.

You may not like your boss, so you could quite your job and move to another.

You may not like the current owner of your favourite sports franchise, so you could support another team, but that is highly unlikely, therefore your only course of action is to wait until that owner decides to sell .......... there is nothing anyone can do to force an owner to sell, if they don't want to.
Emptying the arena can force him out.

You state that you don't like Melnyk and want a new owner, but are unwilling to take action to try to facilitate this outcome. You spin every Melnyk move as positive. You bash anyone trying to force this owner out.

When people describe you as a Melnyk supporter, they are painting an accurate picture of your postings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deku

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You can't just ask for a loan back there's a contract protecting Melnyk here.
They could refuse to extend when the loan matures (assuming there is a balloon payment due), but all that would do is force Melnyk to find a new group to lend him money. It's possible but unlikely that he would not be able to find another lender, in fact, unless his debt is quite large the NHL's line of credit could probably cover the majority of it assuming he hasn't already maximized that avenue.

Reactions: Boud

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Financial people: Why would a competing group buy Melnyk's debt. I can understand the benefit of interest earned if you want to be a debt lender, but what benefit does this get them in regards to buying the team from Melnyk, what is their angle if they did in fact buy his debt?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Does anyone else think the Lebreton arena would be getting close to shovels in the ground if the owner wasn't such an incorrigible a-hole? I'm pretty sure it would be done deal if it was a solid ownership group with ties to the city, instead of some nefarious Phantom of the Opera character.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

1. I wasn't talking about you or me exclusively. Chill out Carrot. No need for pot shots.

2. Wow the mental gymnastics you just did to twist this into being Alfie's fault. 10/10

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Financial people: Why would a competing group buy Melnyk's debt. I can understand the benefit of interest earned if you want to be a debt lender, but what benefit does this get them in regards to buying the team from Melnyk, what is their angle if they did in fact buy his debt?

The only thing I can think of (while not being a "financial people") is some are imagining it like foreclosing on a mortgage. The idea being that if Melnyk were to miss payments, they could then take steps to try and force him to sell. If somebody else "owns" the debt, the competing group would have no control as to whether extensions are offered when a balloon payment comes due, or a payment is missed.

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I'm not one to blame the reporter in this case, but I don't think Alfredsson did anything wrong by asking her to keep that lone comment off the record after the fact. This isn't a case where any hardship comes to the reporter by honouring his request. There's no greater public interest at stake here, it's just some juicy gossip that hurts mostly the owner's reputation tbh by confirming what many already suspected.

The way I see this, Alfie asked her to do him a solid, she chose not to. The end result is there's egg on a bunch of people's faces (including the blogger who volunteered the information that she refused to do Alfie that solid) and a blogger gets some extra hits on her site for a week, while potentially losing some credibility among potential sources that are sympathetic to Alfredsson.

Basically, I think she shot herself in the foot for some short term gain, because it's a court of public opinion that judges her actions not the Journalist's code of conduct. Time will tell though, it might blow over for her and all will be fine, except those who may have been a little embarrassed by Alfredsson's comments

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
The only thing I can think of (while not being a "financial people") is some are imagining it like foreclosing on a mortgage. The idea being that if Melnyk were to miss payments, they could then take steps to try and force him to sell. If somebody else "owns" the debt, the competing group would have no control as to whether extensions are offered when a balloon payment comes due, or a payment is missed.
Thanks that makes sense, get's them into the discussion immediately if he does have financial problems.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Does anyone else think the Lebreton arena would be getting close to shovels in the ground if the owner wasn't such an incorrigible a-hole? I'm pretty sure it would be done deal if it was a solid ownership group with ties to the city, instead of some nefarious Phantom of the Opera character.

No, it's the NCC, they move at a glacial pace. Melnyk's comments about maybe not needing a downtown arena and rumours about his financial situation are more a cause of concern (or hope) than the absence of any news on Lebreton.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
1. I wasn't talking about you or me exclusively. Chill out Carrot. No need for pot shots.

2. Wow the mental gymnastics you just did to twist this into being Alfie's fault. 10/10

1. sorry, it came across that way - no worries
2. no gymnastics at all. I dont blame Alfie for anything - i dont really see how he did anything wrong other than perhaps annoy Watson with his candor at the launch (and even then it probably helps more than hurts), nor do i blame the reporter. it just is what it is.

im not even entirely certain that this was an accident.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
Rumour alert:

End rumour alert.

yes, this has been circulating for awhile.
they are a creditor in that they have purchased some of his debt from other lenders. It has the potential to give them leverage in negotiations with the Sens.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
They are currently preparing their media strategy to respond to this event.

I'm sure it will largely be to attack the media/blogger. Only makes sense given the sentiment is already out there with the unethical/bushleague type stuff.

Might still see some nouveau Daniel Alfredsson character attacks though.

Stay tuned.

I'm just gonna leave this here and pat myself on the back for making the easy call about what would start happening , and the Alfie character attacks have come faster than I believed they would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad