Speculation: Dan Bylsma Hot Seat Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The only thing with that is, he seems to be going back to MAF already.

One of DB's biggest downfalls is to keep going with something til it ultimately fails. Did he even realize his system needed adjusments during the ECF? His personel decisions come into question also. The teams discipline as well(Game 2).

Let's say they tell him they aren't extending his contract and giving him this year to get results. A year where the cap is going down and there will probably be some problem areas in the lineup. What is the expectation for next year once the roster is finalized?

That had better be an over-exuberant fluffing of MAF.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
I do wonder why that record is all heaped on Bylsma when our goalie over the overwhelming majority of that period has statistically been the worst goalie in the playoffs, and the eye test has been even less kind.

If you wanted to spin the stats a different way, you could say that the one time Fleury wasn't sabotaging us over the past 4 years, Bylsma coached the team to the ECF.
If we wanted to spin the stats a different different way, we could point out that the last time Fleury played in the playoffs under a coach who didn't make lucky burritos a core piece of his strategy he went 14-6 with a .933 sv%, 1.97 GAA, and 3 shutouts.

Seems like a chicken or the egg argument to me. I say we dump them both. I'll have a steak instead.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If we wanted to spin the stats a different different way, we could point out that the last time Fleury played in the playoffs under a coach who didn't make lucky burritos a core piece of his strategy he went 14-6 with a .933 sv%, 1.97 GAA, and 3 shutouts.

Seems like a chicken or the egg argument to me. I say we dump them both. I'll have a steak instead.

Except we also have the stats of another goalie under Bylsma, during the same period, who played much, much better.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

That argument doesn't work. Fleury had an .880 save percentage in the other playoff season under the coach in question and an .862 save percentage over three seasons for Todd Richards. Fleury's best playoff performance under Richards saw a 20 point lower save percentage than any other goaltender's worst under Richards.

His .933 save percentage in that one season looks more like a fluke when compared at his career playoff stats at every level, than some sort of chicken and egg thing with Dan Bylsma.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
That argument doesn't work. Fleury had an .880 save percentage in the other playoff season under the coach in question and an .862 save percentage over three seasons for Todd Richards. Fleury's best playoff performance under Richards saw a 20 point lower save percentage than any other goaltender's worst under Richards.

His .933 save percentage in that one season looks more like a fluke when compared at his career playoff stats at every level, than some sort of chicken and egg thing with Dan Bylsma.

I think that was his point about people making arguments based off stats that support their arguments...

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

I'm not surprised that the coaches and players are sticking up for MAF. They know that he's a superior goaltender to TV in almost every single way. They know that better than any of us do. They've see it during games, and practice for years. They all know what he's capable of, and it probably befuddles them as much as it does us, when MAF has meltdowns during big games. I'm not giving support to MAF one way or another, and I hope it doesn't seem that way. I just think that it's a much more difficult decision for Shero to make than some are making it out to be. The last thing Shero wants to start doing is alienating his players when so many contracts are coming up.

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
The Admin posted on letsgopens that he received a tip that Mario and Shero are having a meeting tomorrow morning. So take it for what it's worth

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I think that was his point about people making arguments based off stats that support their arguments...

The statistics support the opposite of the conclusion he was suggesting could be made.

And, in any event, Fleury flunks the eyeball test much worse than he flunks the stats test. Take a look at goal number 1 in game 7 versus Montreal. There is no system that will prevent shots like that from there (or from behind the icing line) because the assumption is that they won't go in--an assumption that has long been demonstrated to be wrong in Fleury's case.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
The statistics support the opposite of the conclusion he was suggesting could be made.

And, in any event, Fleury flunks the eyeball test much worse than he flunks the stats test. Take a look at goal number 1 in game 7 versus Montreal. There is no system that will prevent shots like that from there (or from behind the icing line) because the assumption is that they won't go in--an assumption that has long been demonstrated to be wrong in Fleury's case.

I wanted Fleury and Bylsma gone after last season, preaching to the choir over here. I'm just sick of seeing doctored stats as to why people want what they want. IMO, if Fleury and DB didn't win a cup in 2009, the performance against the Flyers last season was enough to get anyone canned in the NHL or any other sport. 100% embarrassment. Last season was supposed to be written off as a fluke. This season was no different. On paper, the Pens could probably be the better team than the rosters of the Islanders and Senators combined. Go back and look at some of the goals Nabokov let in. Boston proved that we didn't even belong in the ECF. That's what a sweep means to me. We're either overrated, have choke artist superstars, or get outcoached/play a non-playoff system. There needs to be a change, and only two of those things can be changed by Shero. If no changes are made, I won't expect a different result to occur, and I won't support a team all season where the end playoff result is almost inevitable. One more year of this (barring Billy G being a pure X factor), and the cup win would be statistically more of fluke than any of the seasons since.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Monday: Silence.
Tuesday: Coach Fired.
Wed: Thank Dan for his service, announcement of new coach and presser? Possible they've already talked to their man?

Would be most welcome. Get this **** overwith. I don't think it's good for anyone. Players, fans, Bylsma, ownership.

If you're going to move on, move on fast. Quick and painless coaching deaths preferred.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
the longer it goes, the more likely it is that Bylsma is staying.

And perhaps Shero is trying to quietly get the lay of the coaching land before making a decision. Maybe he wants to fire Bylsma, but if there's no one better available, he won't make the move just to make it. Maybe he wants to see what happens with Tippett. Maybe he's trying to wait the Rangers out so that Bylsma doesn't go to a division rival. Lots of reasons for quiet and patience right now. Won't get antsy until Wednesday.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
the longer it goes, the more likely it is that Bylsma is staying.

And perhaps Shero is trying to quietly get the lay of the coaching land before making a decision. Maybe he wants to fire Bylsma, but if there's no one better available, he won't make the move just to make it. Maybe he wants to see what happens with Tippett. Maybe he's trying to wait the Rangers out so that Bylsma doesn't go to a division rival. Lots of reasons for quiet and patience right now. Won't get antsy until Wednesday.

Tippett would be one of the best choices at any time any year.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Guys I'm tellin' ya: don't get your hopes up on Tippett. He has made direct statements that suggest it's unlikely he'll leave PHX. COULD happen but most likely won't.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
Monday: Silence.
Tuesday: Coach Fired.
Wed: Thank Dan for his service, announcement of new coach and presser? Possible they've already talked to their man?

Would be most welcome. Get this **** overwith. I don't think it's good for anyone. Players, fans, Bylsma, ownership.

If you're going to move on, move on fast. Quick and painless coaching deaths preferred.

"I'd like to introduce the newest head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins: John Hynes"

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Guys I'm tellin' ya: don't get your hopes up on Tippett. He has made direct statements that suggest it's unlikely he'll leave PHX.

yes, which is why Shero might wait to see if there's a team in Phoenix.

He doesn't want to leave. If the situation were stable, he'd already be re-signed.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
"I'd like to introduce the newest head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins: John Hynes"

Scary, but more likely than Tippett IMO. ;)

Maurice is starting to intrigue me more as I think about this and the liklihood that certain other candidates just wouldn't fit or won't leave (Torts and Tippett, respectively).

Leaves Ruff, Maurice, a few others. Pretty sure we don't want Ruff. Guy is notorious for his line juggling. Definitely harder on players when the F up though and that's a good thing.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Tippett would be one of the best choices at any time any year.

yes, but like CV says, there's a real chance Tippett doesn't even become available. Maybe Shero is just spending this time doing some digging on that situation. Maybe he's just putting together a short list of who the he'd replace HCDB with if they made the move. I have to imagine that Shero can have whomever he wants (assuming they are unemployed). But is that guy available? As much as I hate Bylsma, and I personally would fire him for the sake of firing him, the prudent, rational decision would be to fire him if you could improve the situation.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Wednesday will be very telling in terms of where the organization's head is at. Even if an announcement isn't made before then, Shero will undoubtedly be asked about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad