Speculation: Dan Bylsma Hot Seat Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
That's true, but you also can't ignore the players' defects, which are glaring.
Also you can't tell me that people are blaming a lack of bounces for our lost...90% of the posters around here are blaming coaching and nothing else.

Yes, there is blame on both the players and the coach. I know jack **** about hockey, but it's still obvious that the players **** the bed when they face anyone who uses the system that the bruins did. The pens would not have beaten the Islanders if Nabakov was anything better than terrible. Capuano even said he watched the flyers series as an indicator to how to disrupt the pens. Julien also hinted at studying how to beat the pens' system, knowing it would not change. Teams won't/can't change their whole system in the regular season, but if they had a week off to prep, I'm sure our regular season success would be less. If history indicates our players suck against the trap, and nothing is changed to provide them with opportunities to be better against it, the result won't change either. Other teams gameplan and change strategies to maximize their chances of beating their current opponent, the penguins do not do this.

Fkn Jagr even said that the Bruins plan was to stop Crosby and Malkin, knowing the supporting cast was good, but not good enough to win the pens games. But other teams consistently win without crobsy and malkin, so maybe pens fans overrate them, me included. However, what can you do besides trade crosby and/or malkin? It's a lot safer move for a GM to fire the coach than move one of those guys. If no changes are made, why would the result change. That's my point.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
That's true, but you also can't ignore the players' defects, which are glaring.
Also you can't tell me that people are blaming a lack of bounces for our lost...90% of the posters around here are blaming coaching and nothing else.

If only this team employed a guy whose sole job it was to teach the players how to fix those defects...

Imagine the possibilities...

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
If only this team employed a guy whose sole job it was to teach the players how to fix those defects...

Imagine the possibilities...

Defects within the system you mean? I don't think Malkin and Crosby need coaching on how much to tighten up their wrists on shots and such...

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Rob Rossi @RobRossi_Trib
#TribHKY Impression I'm getting is even closest confidants to Shero\Bylsma not in loop of what is happening or will happen #pens

How insightful he is.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Rob Rossi @RobRossi_Trib
#TribHKY Impression I'm getting is even closest confidants to Shero\Bylsma not in loop of what is happening or will happen #pens

How insightful he is.

People not making the decisions don't know what the decisions are, news at 11

Last edited:

Kovifan27

Jan 17, 2012
Philly, PA
One of MAF / DB needs to go. If it's only of them - it has to be Fleury in my opinion.

Shero had to go out and sign an expensive insurance policy in the event of him crapping the bed and he does it again? That had to validate every concern they had about him in the playoffs.

And good call - imagine the stability of this team improving when the first shot of the game doesn't float in. Or when another softie gives the other team life.

And no, goaltending wouldn't have helped vs Boston as we actually got strong goaltending for the most part.

I couldn't disagree more. And you made the point yourself. The goaltending vs Boston was outstanding w/Vokoun. We can thrive with a goalie that just keeps the opposition to 1-2 goals.

The series was lost on offense. That's on coaching. We would have gotten further this year w/a diff coach vs someone else backing up Vokoun.

To beat Boston, you have to get to the net more often. Screens, rebounds. We didn't do that.

That's why DB needs to go. The goaltending excuse didn't fly this season w/the way Vokoun stepped in.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The fact that none of the players, not even one in the last two years has come out and said that we need changes or that something needs to happens amazes me. Do they all love him?

On Vinyl

Oh Danny Boy
Jul 5, 2010
IAVDBTR
The fact that none of the players, not even one in the last two years has come out and said that we need changes or that something needs to happens amazes me. Do they all love him?

I don't think they would come out and say it, even if they felt that way.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Wouldn't you love to show up at your job whenever you felt like it, freelance (often badly) and not get in trouble for it?

Sounds like good work, if you can get it.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I think they do actually like him. The question is how long will liking him be enough and how much do they like him after he blamed them without accepting any fault himself?

They're also not going to rock the boat by complaining about him to the media.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

What do expect?

A) It would look incredibly bad on themselves if they sold out their coach no matter how bad he did.

B) If they get a coach that makes them work outside their comfort zone they their lives get harder.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
if all they're playing for is the paycheck, then sure. if they want the cup, different story.

I agree.

But it's worth remembering that they did it "this way" in relatively recent vintage. They have probably convinced themselves they can do it again by trying to flip a switch when the games start to matter. I don't think they necessarily lack the desire... I just think they feel like they did it "their way" before and can do it again without having to actually work too hard for it.

Let's face it -- it's human nature to slouch a bit if you can get away with it. Especially when you have "results" on your side.

Florentino Ariza

Sep 21, 2009
Washington DC
Wouldn't you love to show up at your job whenever you felt like it, freelance (often badly) and not get in trouble for it?

Sounds like good work, if you can get it.

Just to play devil's advocate here, how much would two $9 million dollar players appreciate being jerked around by the coach when they start doing stupid stuff? Especially with the way Crosby is never going to leave this organization and they'll probably do anything to keep Malkin.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Rossi did mention 1 thing that stuck with me in a podcast today.

Bylsma has 1 year left on his contract @ 1.2 million(or so).

Usually they'd sign him to an extension in years like this and he would be getting top coaching dollars (2.3 million range).

Thats alot to invest if you take the gamble that he can still get it done.

Add in the fact theres so many options to go with as far as who could coach this team, and theres probably alot of talk between owners and Shero going on right now. Or if the owners are leaving it all up to Shero, theres alot going into his decision.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I understand your point... but maybe as Penguins fans we're a bit too used to moody superstars who have no desire or want for instruction. I hate to speak ill of idols... but there it is.

I don't think Crosby and Malkin are like that. I think they will do what it takes for the team to be successful. I don't think they would view it as being jerked around. I think they would view it as, well... insight. Malkin never chaffed under rigid coaching in the past. Nor did Crosby.

Obviously I could be totally off base. But I don't think so.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
I'd much rather get rid of Bylsma than Fleury. MAF's problem is his head, not technical issues. The head can be fixed.

DB's system, however, is garbage in the playoffs. Since 2010 (the first year Bylsma implemented his system), we've gone 3-4 in series, all 7 of them to LOWER SEEDS.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
I'd much rather get rid of Bylsma than Fleury. MAF's problem is his head, not technical issues. The head can be fixed.

DB's system, however, is garbage in the playoffs. Since 2010 (the first year Bylsma implemented his system), we've gone 3-4 in series, all 7 of them to LOWER SEEDS.

Actually, Dans system is from his HEAD! I would wage money Dan could be taught how to counter the trap etc easier than Fleurys head problems could be fixed.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I do wonder why that record is all heaped on Bylsma when our goalie over the overwhelming majority of that period has statistically been the worst goalie in the playoffs, and the eye test has been even less kind.

If you wanted to spin the stats a different way, you could say that the one time Fleury wasn't sabotaging us over the past 4 years, Bylsma coached the team to the ECF.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The only thing with that is, he seems to be going back to MAF already.

One of DB's biggest downfalls is to keep going with something til it ultimately fails. Did he even realize his system needed adjusments during the ECF? His personel decisions come into question also. The teams discipline as well(Game 2).

Let's say they tell him they aren't extending his contract and giving him this year to get results. A year where the cap is going down and there will probably be some problem areas in the lineup. What is the expectation for next year once the roster is finalized?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think Shero is leaning to keeping Bylsma. He brought him back after last years fiasco and now with him getting to the ECf, seems like that was not good enough but not cause for dismissal. The question is does the GM make any real changes and Bylsma can't coach the changes as well, that is now on Shero for bringing him back once more. Or does Shero sign Malkin and Dupuis, play MAF in goal and lose again in the playoffs. My guess is no real shake up and Shero and Bylsma will ride this out as ownership goes along with status quo.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
All I got to say is who would of thought when the team won the Cup four seasons ago that they would be four seasons and counting since their last win past the 2nd round of the playoffs, with a couple of 1st round exits and another to an 8th seed in the 2nd round?

That's as much as evidence that I need that the status quo isn't good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad