Speculation: Dan Bylsma Hot Seat Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Like I said this morning after I finally got around to watching it... I think he was either ****housed or was up the last three nights huffing paint. Very weird interview... even for someone with lots of 'splainin' to do. Truthfully, I didn't even watch the whole thing. It was kind of painful.

Yeah... he barely touched on it in between the half-coherent ramblings. He probably hallucinated that they were talking about Tanner Glass.

I watched the whole thing, it looked like if Bylsma was a celebrity that he would be going to the hospital for exhaustion. It was oddly fascinating in a, "What will he say next?!?!" way. If I had to guess a real reason it would be stress and probably not sleeping well or at all. Even he has to realize how bad a position he's in. Or he was drunk, or took something to calm himself down and didn't handle it well.

It wouldn't even surprise me if he was substituting Glass for Bennett in his head, or even Despres. Malkin's LW will be Glass.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Errey... :laugh:

I may finally give in to the madness. This guy is such an unbelievable goof.

"Maybe Malkin... ya know he needs some lovin! ...Maybe you know he needs a Russian friend... kick in the pants, pat on the back... maybe he's just not gettin' enough."

:facepalm: :laugh:

Surreal.

Like what he had to say about Bylsma though including "yah I'd like to see Jarome back here.... I'd like to see him play RIGHT WING, because that's his position."

:thumbu:

He also thinks Bylsma was not being honest WRT to Fleury, which I find an interesting alternative to "he's lost his ****ing gourd!" Just a flat out panicked lie.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Errey... :laugh:

I may finally give in to the madness. This guy is such an unbelievable goof.

"Maybe Malkin... ya know he needs some lovin! ...Maybe you know he needs a Russian friend... kick in the pants, pat on the back... maybe he's just not gettin' enough."

:facepalm: :laugh:

Surreal.

Like what he had to say about Bylsma though including "yah I'd like to see Jarome back here.... I'd like to see him play RIGHT WING, because that's his position."

:thumbu:

He also thinks Bylsma was not being honest WRT to Fleury, which I find an interesting alternative to "he's lost his ****ing gourd!" Just a flat out panicked lie.

37341936.jpg

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Panicked lie is an interesting theory.

But it was just the tone of his voice that threw me off when he said, "Well he's not gonna get that chance because Fleury will be in net winning games for us" and the "Fleury will take the net. And be in net. And he will play great."

I still.. just.. what?

Did Errey comment on the "too many options" remark?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004

I don't view it that way at all. He was just being strategic, as anything he says definitely has an effect on Fleury's value on the trade market.

If he comes out and says Fleury isn't in our plans, his trade value tanks. This is a case where "being honest" could impact Fleury's value in an adverse way.

I could see this situation playing out in a Paul Martin type manner. His trade value is so low that you almost have to hold onto him in hopes that the value will eventually go back up.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I'd be curious to know, too. I'm not in a spot where I can watch the interview with Bibs. Who I've actually grown to like. In between all the doofiness, he absolutely knows the game. He's gotta toe the company line a bit... but he's a hell of a lot more honest than most people in this market that talk about the Penguins.

Out of everything that Disco said the "too many options" one might have been the true mind-blower. Not just because of the sheer ridiculousness of it but because there were lots of people on here joking that he would eventually fall on his face because his GM gave him too much to work with.

Parody and reality colliding.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I don't view it that way at all. He was just being strategic, as anything he says definitely has an effect on Fleury's value on the trade market.

If he comes out and says Fleury isn't in our plans, his trade value tanks. This is a case where "being honest" could impact Fleury's value in an adverse way.

I could see this situation playing out in a Paul Martin type manner. His trade value is so low that you almost have to hold onto him in hopes that the value will eventually go back up.

I dunno if his value is that bad, as I've said before regular season success still matters. Someone will still snatch up Luongo up even if he is known as a bit of a choker.

Florentino Ariza

Sep 21, 2009
Washington DC
and the As. and the people tabbed as veteran leadership.

The person wearing the C isn't the only person on the team who should be exhibiting leadership.

But it's in vogue to **** on Crosby, so let's do this!

Tell me what leadership we have seen from Crosby and Malkin. Crosby needs to be emotionally much more calm, instead, he runs around pushing goalies who aren't known for causing trouble and getting in people's faces but never fighting. Our stars were terrible in this series and they have been terrible for years, you can run down the list. People like to **** all over Byslma because the team falls apart but what option does Byslma have? When Letang, Neal, Crosby, and Iginla all suck (and Malkin is incapale of finishing, which is what he is paid to do), is Bylsma supposed to bench them in favor of prospects? I am sure HF would love that, but then of course you guys would whine and cry about how Bylsma jerks around the lines too much. The truth is this is a self-entitled fanbase and it needs to look at the entire roster before criticizing just one man, who of course does deserve blame himself.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Panicked lie is an interesting theory.

But it was just the tone of his voice that threw me off when he said, "Well he's not gonna get that chance because Fleury will be in net winning games for us" and the "Fleury will take the net. And be in net. And he will play great."

I still.. just.. what?

I'm not sure that rational thought can be applied here, he might have just been talking out of his ass with no reasoning. I'm leaning towards it being Bylsma projecting onto Fleury, though.

"I'm still the head coach because I am."
"No new coach will get a chance because I'll still be here, winning games."
"I will be the coach. And I will be great."

One playoff failure connecting himself to another, if Fleury gets another shot then Dan gets another shot.. So Dan had better believe that Fleury will get another shot and be great.

Florentino Ariza

Sep 21, 2009
Washington DC
Oh, and Crosby and Malkin are also guilty of cherry picking (especially Crosby) and looking for the fast break type of goal. That ******** will get you some success in the regular season but in the playoffs it's not going to cut it.

I'm not sure if Bylsma is behind the scenes saying great job guys, but I do believe he deserves some blame for that as well for putting Crosby and Malkin together (which never, ever works). Still, the stars deserve the blame for not putting in the hard work required to score goals in the playoffs. These are superstars and they have the salaries and egos required to do whatever the **** they want, so I think both sides deserve blame. Lets not just blame Dan

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Here's the difference between our players and Bylsma: The stars (minus Neal) all said that they needed to be better and took accountability. Bylsma doesn't think he did anything wrong. At all.

And you're complaining about Sid needing to be more calm, well if he didn't (and when he doesn't) show much anger, there are others who complain that he doesn't show any emotion. He just can't win and it's crazy.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure that rational thought can be applied here, he might have just been talking out of his ass with no reasoning. I'm leaning towards it being Bylsma projecting onto Fleury, though.

"I'm still the head coach because I am."
"No new coach will get a chance because I'll still be here, winning games."
"I will be the coach. And I will be great."

One playoff failure connecting himself to another, if Fleury gets another shot then Dan gets another shot.. So Dan had better believe that Fleury will get another shot and be great.

"Craig Adams and I will be having our love child in October"

Florentino Ariza

Sep 21, 2009
Washington DC
I can't control what others say; I'm a Penguins fan not a Penguins hater. Those haters are the ones who will criticize him no matter what. I just think that no matter Bylsma's game plan, there's no reason for him to meltdown. If I see some hard evidence that says that all is Bylsma's fault, I'll blame Bylsma. But for now I think Crosby basically has free rein within the organization, so...

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Oh, and Crosby and Malkin are also guilty of cherry picking (especially Crosby) and looking for the fast break type of goal. That ******** will get you some success in the regular season but in the playoffs it's not going to cut it.

I'm not sure if Bylsma is behind the scenes saying great job guys, but I do believe he deserves some blame for that as well for putting Crosby and Malkin together (which never, ever works). Still, the stars deserve the blame for not putting in the hard work required to score goals in the playoffs. These are superstars and they have the salaries and egos required to do whatever the **** they want, so I think both sides deserve blame. Lets not just blame Dan

IMO Sid was still underweight and maybe in pain from the injury. Notice how he shied away from the net and boards the entire playoffs.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Here's the difference between our players and Bylsma: The stars (minus Neal) all said that they needed to be better and took accountability. Bylsma doesn't think he did anything wrong. At all.

And you're complaining about Sid needing to be more calm, well if he didn't (and when he doesn't) show much anger, there are others who complain that he doesn't show any emotion. He just can't win and it's crazy.

Completely agree.

Both players immediately took ownership of their role in the team's rapid dismissal from the post season. Other people might be worried about these two... count me as one who is absolutely not.

I understand the frustration... this team has a lot of issues. But I really don't think those two are one of them.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Hockey is not a game where you just try harder and win.

If it was, DB would be a fantastic coach. He does get the team motivated. He's a player's coach. The reason he ****ing sucks is that's not all you need. It's not all intangibles, or Intangibles Toews would be the best player in the world.

You know nothing of the game of hocket. The Pens haven't lost because they didn't care. You can't just say they had to try harder or "want it more" or other ******** platitudes. Was there more they could do? Sure. But it still wouldn't have been enough. If Sid and Geno were in god mode, maybe we win, two games. That's it. They got outcoached. They were mismanaged. It sounds nicer to blame them for not trying hard enough, or whatever, because it's nice and simple, but that's not it.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Hockey is not a game where you just try harder and win.

If it was, DB would be a fantastic coach. He does get the team motivated. He's a player's coach. The reason he ****ing sucks is that's not all you need. It's not all intangibles, or Intangibles Toews would be the best player in the world.

You know nothing of the game of hocket. The Pens haven't lost because they didn't care. You can't just say they had to try harder or "want it more" or other ******** platitudes. Was there more they could do? Sure. But it still wouldn't have been enough. If Sid and Geno were in god mode, maybe we win, two games. That's it. They got outcoached. They were mismanaged. It sounds nicer to blame them for not trying hard enough, or whatever, because it's nice and simple, but that's not it.

Well Toews is probably top 5 right now. And I take offense sir, my family has a long history of hocket players! Tut, tut!

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
DB comes back... what's more likely to happen? He changes his system in the playoffs, or opposing coaches use the flyers, islanders, and bruins series as a blueprint to defeat us?

Getting swept = don't belong. Can't blame everything on a lack of bounces in a best-of-seven. People wonder why the team has no accountability, look at that exit interview.

Florentino Ariza

Sep 21, 2009
Washington DC
DB comes back... what's more likely to happen? He changes his system in the playoffs, or opposing coaches use the flyers, islanders, and bruins series as a blueprint to defeat us?

Getting swept = don't belong. Can't blame everything on a lack of bounces in a best-of-seven. People wonder why the team has no accountability, look at that exit interview.

That's true, but you also can't ignore the players' defects, which are glaring.
Also you can't tell me that people are blaming a lack of bounces for our lost...90% of the posters around here are blaming coaching and nothing else.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
To beat Boston, you have to get to the net more often. Screens, rebounds. We didn't do that.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
IMO Sid was still underweight and maybe in pain from the injury. Notice how he shied away from the net and boards the entire playoffs.

I don't know about pain, but he definitely didn't look as stocky as he normally is, and he definitely wasn't as strong on his skates as he was before the injury. I think his weight and (loss of) strength were big factors in his play in the Boston series.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I don't know about pain, but he definitely didn't look as stocky as he normally is, and he definitely wasn't as strong on his skates as he was before the injury. I think his weight and (loss of) strength were big factors in his play in the Boston series.

Not to mention conditioning issues from being laid up for 3-4 weeks and then going into playoff hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad