Confirmed with Link: Dallas Stars claim Dustin Jeffrey from waivers

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I said I'd be more confident with our current team than the other idea for a team. That doesn't mean I'm confident with this team. Pens need to move a D for a W *cough*Niskanen for Kulemin*cough* and shake up the lines some. My ideal healthy lineup is:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Kobasew

Letang-Scuderi
Orpik-Martin
Maatta/Despres-Bortuzzo

I'm split on if I'd rather have Despres or Maatta if healthy. I think I'd go with Despres due to experience, but I'm not entirely sure.
Toronto doesn't need Niskanen at all. Replace him with McGinn and I'm still pleased. One more trade to replace Glass and suddenly we have ourselves a hockey team.

penguins2946*

I'm more upset that they waived Jeffery to keep D'Agostini than to keep Glass or Adams. D'Agostini has been invisible in every game that he has played in.

penguins2946*

Toronto doesn't need Niskanen at all. Replace him with McGinn and I'm still pleased. One more trade to replace Glass and suddenly we have ourselves a hockey team.

One of their fans was insisting that they needed him, so I took his word for it. Realistically, they would probably want Orpik. I doubt Shero would do that (sadly). Also, I'd definitely be all over McGinn as well. I just want to trade Nisky for a 2nd/3rd line tweener, because that's what he is.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
adams is not being benched. He is our iron man and I don't see our coach ruining his best friend streak. He hasn't missed a game in years ... not starting now.

I am glad DJ has a chance. I hope he does well cause our team was never giving it to him. Shame is that victory joe will move on next year and we will need to replace him to ... with our super huge depth at forward.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
One of their fans was insisting that they needed him, so I took his word for it. Realistically, they would probably want Orpik. I doubt Shero would do that (sadly). Also, I'd definitely be all over McGinn as well. I just want to trade Nisky for a 2nd/3rd line tweener, because that's what he is.

Niskanen for McGinn. Orpik for Kulemin.

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett
Kulemin - Malkin - Neal
McGinn - Jokinen - Dupuis
Vitale - Sutter - Kobasew

Scuderi - Letang
Despres - Martin
Maatta - Bortuzzo

Fleury

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
This is a big non-event. If we would have traded him it would have been for a very late pick. Dags is also a non-entity. Adams and Glass are going to be in there, so let's try to get past that as a message board.

DJ had no place on this team, we have Sid, Geno, Sutter, Vitale, and JJ that are all better than he is right now, and Sill has more sandpaper.

Good luck to DJ, hopefully he finds a good fit in Dallas.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Is that you Dan Bylsma?

DJ has one less goal than Glass in 230 less games. Glass hits but that is it. He's a horrible PKer, is constantly stuck in his own zone, & provides little to no offense.

If you wanted a guy who could just hit we could bring back Steve Webb for the league minimum.

So what you're saying right here is that Tanner Glass played 230 more games than Dustin Jeffrey this year.

After all, the question of who has had the better career was never broached, so I'm not sure why anyone would be talking about that in reference to whether or not Jeffrey has been worse in 2013-14.

Edit:

I take it back. Someone did bring up that Jeffrey is a better player than Glass in this thread. Me

Well yeah, it's apples and oranges, but it wasn't me who asked that they be compared. Jeffrey's not "worse than Glass." Or, at least, he shouldn't be.

But he's been more of a net negative than Glass in his 10 games this season.

As I said a couple times, this isn't his fault. Jeffrey hasn't been the same since his knee injury, but he's been completely off the rails since they sat him for Boychuk.

And yes, it's not out of the realm of possibility Nill will have made us look Pejorative Slured on this one 18 months from now.

Doesn't change the fact that he's been the worst forward other than Connor in 2013-14.

Last edited:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Niskanen for McGinn. Orpik for Kulemin.

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett
Kulemin - Malkin - Neal
McGinn - Jokinen - Dupuis
Vitale - Sutter - Kobasew

Scuderi - Letang
Despres - Martin
Maatta - Bortuzzo

Fleury

I know you're just being funny. But it's coming off as mean-spirited at this point.

And I think you left off a :sarcasm:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I said I'd be more confident with our current team than the other idea for a team. That doesn't mean I'm confident with this team. Pens need to move a D for a W *cough*Niskanen for Kulemin*cough* and shake up the lines some. My ideal healthy lineup is:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Kobasew

Letang-Scuderi
Orpik-Martin
Maatta/Despres-Bortuzzo

I'm split on if I'd rather have Despres or Maatta if healthy. I think I'd go with Despres due to experience, but I'm not entirely sure.

I definitely like that lineup, Dupuis would really strengthen the 3rd line which has looked like dog crap and Jokinen - Malkin - Neal has flashes but someone actually needs to go to the net.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
I hate losing Jeffrey for nothing. You have to think that Shero at least attempted to trade the guy. Very strange (and dumb) if he didn't. That said, there was no way he was going to oust Adams or Glass from the lineup. They're both playing good hockey and are not the problem with this team. If anything, DJ should have gotten a shot on the top two lines when Bennett and Neal were injured. That's where he would have fit in best on the team.

penguins2946*

I definitely like that lineup, Dupuis would really strengthen the 3rd line which has looked like dog crap and Jokinen - Malkin - Neal has flashes but someone actually needs to go to the net.

Dupuis and Jokinen have looked their best while playing with Sutter on the 3rd line, especially Dupuis. I guess Bylsma just hasn't noticed it yet. Or he's just dumb as a rock.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jeffrey deserves a shot elsewhere to better his situation he'd never get here after his injury.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Kobasew

Letang-Scuderi
Orpik-Martin
Maatta/Despres-Bortuzzo

Here's mine: Dupuis isn't being moved off the 1st line, but the other two lines need to get going.

A deal around this at the deadline when Scuderi is back:

Avalanche:

Brandon Sutter
Paul Martin
4th 2014

Penguins:

Ryan O'Reilly
Max Talbot
3rd 2014

Pen's get a much needed boost to their lineup, or you can just call it a shakeup.

Kunitz, Crosby, Dupuis
O'Reilly, Malkin, Neal
Bennett, Jokinen, Talbot
Glass, Vitale, Adams
Kobasew/Engelland/Megna

Scuderi, Letang
Orpik, Maatta
Niskanen, Bortuzzo
Engelland/Despres

Getting Geno going with O'Reilly might just be what the doctor ordered. Basically you get Geno's line going and teams can't really focus on Sid so much. It's a pick your poison again, and O'Reilly can pick up those defensive duties while also helping out in the face-off dot. I doubt O'Reilly will want to play in the bottom six.

We all know what Talbot can do for the 3rd/4th lines.

The defense is there and the Pens can afford to give to get to bolster the forward top 9. The hard part is getting Martin to give the Ok. Sutter doesn't have a choice.

I don't see Sutter doing enough with what he's got to work with, But Bennett, Jokinen, Talbot are more than adequate to handle those 3rd line minutes.

Just thinking out loud. The Av's could certainly use an upgrade in the top 4 defense. We have it in droves, but most Av fans probably feel they can do better, maybe they can. That's a solid deal though. IMHO.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
This "Jeffrey outplayed Glass this year stuff needs to stop." Penguins took less shots, scored less goals and gave up more goals per minute at even strength with Jeffrey on the ice than they did when Glass was there. On top of that, they were easier to play against. Jeffrey was horrifying in a Penguins uniform this season.

I'd like the entire bottom 6, minus Bennett, to be traded tomorrow.

I've also been more than a little upset about the way they're treating Jeffrey for some time.

But that doesn't mean I think its okay to pretend a guy who was significantly worse than even the rest of the bums in our bottom six was actually better than one of them.

That stat alone means nothing with other stats to back it up. It doesn't give you the situations that Jeffrey was used in or who was at fault for the goal. How do you know that the D wasn't to blame for a lot of them, which is probably the case and Jeffrey was actually playing well?

I also don't agree with the bottom 6 comment. Sutter is fine and a good 3C. I like Vitale as well, he's the best bottom liner we have. The rest could go though.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I know we are frustrated - but let's keep things civil here.

I don't think any of us should be frustrated.

Unless Sutter got traded, DJ would of never reached his potential on the Pens anyway.

I think we should all be happy he is getting what he wanted and will hopefully get a legit shot now.

I know someone wants to reply about DB. I get it (Glass. Because Glass).

But Shero more than DB sealed DJ's fate by acquiring Sutter. I kept saying they had DJ and didn't need Sutter before the trade. But now I seem to be one of the few people who appreciate Sutter, so I'm not really upset.

DJ was never going to be an answer in the top six, and there are a number of guys coming down the pike who can play legit bottom six roles.

So no reason to be too pissed here. Just feel good for DJ who deserves a chance.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Good for Jeffrey.

Despite some of the harsh criticisms leveled against the guy... he's an NHL player. And possibly a halfway decent one. He'll never be an all star or even truly "good" but I think he has something more than just occasional fourth line minutes with utter plugs to offer the Stars. They might well have gotten a nice steal from the Penguins, if some of the damage is reversed and they are willing to work with him.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I don't even care anymore. Jeffrey's last game here was pretty horrible, but I'm glad he'll get a real chance to prove himself. I was feeling bad watching his career suffer just because Bylsma is a ****ing dumbass. This is team is officially nothing but a few elite players surrounded by nothing but a bunch of washed-up veterans and grinders. Pretty depressing.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
And yet, our 4th line was more effective at playing hockey when Jeffrey was there than it is with Glass or Adams. Also, Jeffrey is absolutely faster than Craig Adams.

I don't see why 4th liners always have to be grinders. What is wrong with a guy on the third line who can actually work the puck with Vitale a little bit?

as angry as I get about sports, yes. Not like real life angry.

I liked the Jeffrey - Vitale - Engelland combo for the brief stint it had too, but I think it had more to do with Engelland's play than Jeffrey's. He's built like a d-man (obviously) and that made him pretty tough to handle down low and in front of the net for the opposition. With Glass, for a guy that has decent size and hits like a truck he's pretty easy to knock off the puck down low, and Vitale and Adams are only average at the cycle too IMO.

I don't think all 4th liners have to be grinders, but I think any 4th line needs to have that sort of mentality. That's the best way that a line that is probably only going to get 5-8 ES shifts a night is going to be most effective. They're going to hit and forecheck and mix it up and basically make the lives of the other 3 lines just a little bit easier. Especially in a playoff series. A 4th line of Jeffrey - Gibbons - Conner might actually give you more offense over an 82 game season but that doesn't mean it'll be more effective.

I'm not trying to defend Glass - Vitale - Adams too much here, it's not ideal to me either. But it's closer to my ideal than a 4th line with Jeffrey on it.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I liked the Jeffrey - Vitale - Engelland combo for the brief stint it had too, but I think it had more to do with Engelland's play than Jeffrey's. He's built like a d-man (obviously) and that made him pretty tough to handle down low and in front of the net for the opposition. With Glass, for a guy that has decent size and hits like a truck he's pretty easy to knock off the puck down low, and Vitale and Adams are only average at the cycle too IMO.

probably, but it would have been nice to see them rewarded for playing well, doing more than any Pens 4th line has done in years. Instead, they get benched and Glass and Adams remain mainstays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad