Confirmed with Link: Dallas Stars claim Dustin Jeffrey from waivers

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jacob, I think you are on the right track. My only addition to what you are saying is that 4th lines have to either have chemistry or an identity. Chemistry in the cycling/defensive game or identity like a buzz line or a line that knows they are going to wreck house.

I feel Glass, Adams, and Joey V are like 3 separate parts. Joey wants to cycle. Glass wants to finish hits. And... Adams sort of does a little bit of whatever. It really has zero chemistry and that surprises me for how long they've been there. That's why I think Joey V, Sill, and Engo all have similar mentalities. They just want to eat the puck down low and bang.

But hey.. it aint' changing.

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
Ten pages about freakin' Jeffrey .... really? If you don't remember his last game, I would have waived his ass after that one. I don't care what he does in Dallas because he didn't do much of **** in the opportunities he had here.

I look at this as a open spot for Megna, which some had a damn fit over him being sent down .... smile, he has a chance now!

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Ten pages about freakin' Jeffrey .... really? If you don't remember his last game, I would have waived his ass after that one. I don't care what he does in Dallas because he didn't do much of **** in the opportunities he had here.

I look at this as a open spot for Megna, which some had a damn fit over him being sent down .... smile, he has a chance now!

this isn't about Megna

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Jacob, I think you are on the right track. My only addition to what you are saying is that 4th lines have to either have chemistry or an identity. Chemistry in the cycling/defensive game or identity like a buzz line or a line that knows they are going to wreck house.

I feel Glass, Adams, and Joey V are like 3 separate parts. Joey wants to cycle. Glass wants to finish hits. And... Adams sort of does a little bit of whatever. It really has zero chemistry and that surprises me for how long they've been there. That's why I think Joey V, Sill, and Engo all have similar mentalities. They just want to eat the puck down low and bang.

But hey.. it aint' changing.

Assuming the pieces in the top-9 are all in order, my truly ideal 4th line would be a bunch of guys on 2-way deals playing for their lives and going balls-to-the-wall on every shift. You can't expect the kind of desperation that makes for a really effective 4th line when you're giving guys the job security of multi-year million dollar deals.

Kind of like the scene in TDK where the Joker breaks the pool cue and tells the two thugs to go at it... You sign guys like Zolnierczyk, Mashinter, Warren Peters, Ryan Craig, throw in Payerl and Sill and put them in a room and tell them that the last 3 standing make the team.

ObsessedCreative*

am I the only one here who thinks Jeffrey has looked better than Adams and Glass this year? He is the only one of them that can ever help keep the puck in the offensive zone.

No and the fact that we signed useless plugs chuck & Dags were both head scratchers rather than playing DJ, good luck to him after years of getting boned by the pens coaches & management.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

At one point DJ was having similar success to Megna. Two years from now he'll be waived for a 38 year old Adams.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
With this move.
I'd move Engo up to RW and call up Despres.

I'd rather do that than call up Megna and sit him in the press box but obviously if Megna being a regular is in the plans, call him up.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
With this move.
I'd move Engo up to RW and call up Despres.

I'd rather do that than call up Megna and sit him in the press box but obviously if Megna being a regular is in the plans, call him up.
I agree that even if nothing else changes, Despres should be called up and Engo should be on the 4th line.

Assuming the top 6 is locked in but somehow we can shake up the bottom 6. Ya, I'm mixing reality with dream scenarios here.

KCD
JMN
Megna - Sutter - Bennet
Sill - Vitale - Engo

That's a better bottom 6 than one including Glass and Adams. And it includes just as many penalty killers. Sadly, Glass and Adams are likely locked into the line-up just as much as Sid and Geno are.

ObsessedCreative*

Assuming the top 6 is locked in but somehow we can shake up the bottom 6. Ya, I'm mixing reality with dream scenarios here.

KCD
JMN
Megna - Sutter - Bennet
Sill - Vitale - Engo

That's a better bottom 6 than one including Glass and Adams. And it includes just as many penalty killers.

I too would love that, but come on we all know it will be a cold day in hell before either Adams or Glass aren't cemented in on this team.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I agree that even if nothing else changes, Despres should be called up and Engo should be on the 4th line.

KCD
JMN
Megna - Sutter - Bennet
Sill - Vitale - Engo

That's a better bottom 6 than one including Glass and Adams. And it includes just as many penalty killers. Sadly, Glass and Adams are likely locked into the line-up just as much as Sid and Geno are.

That's actually really sad

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis (set in stone, it will never change)
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal (set so far, but I don't think it's KCD levels)
X - Sutter - X (D'Agostini may still get there, he probably is)
Glass - X - Adams

3 spots in the lineup aren't set in stone, but 2 of the 4th line are.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

KCD
JMN
Megna - Sutter - Bennet
Sill - Vitale - Engo

I may have hit the point of too many rookies here. Megna, Bennett, Sill, Maatta, Despres, Bortuzzo would be in that lineup :laugh:

I don't know. I think we need youthful exuberance way more than veteran experience right now. I'll admit that Sill probably needs to prove himself a bit more before he earns that spot :laugh:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Assuming the pieces in the top-9 are all in order, my truly ideal 4th line would be a bunch of guys on 2-way deals playing for their lives and going balls-to-the-wall on every shift. You can't expect the kind of desperation that makes for a really effective 4th line when you're giving guys the job security of multi-year million dollar deals.

Kind of like the scene in TDK where the Joker breaks the pool cue and tells the two thugs to go at it... You sign guys like Zolnierczyk, Mashinter, Warren Peters, Ryan Craig, throw in Payerl and Sill and put them in a room and tell them that the last 3 standing make the team.

:laugh:

As crazy as it sounds, it makes a ton of sense. Who has historically done the best on our 4th line? Guys on 2 year deals for under a million bucks.

Hell Yeah!!!

Mar 11, 2007
ATL
Thinking about the circular argument of "well Jeffrey didnt do squat so it's not Bylsma/Shero's fault he's gone".

Can we say that there has been one single player that has truly blossomed under Bylsma? For something at least a season long.

Crosby is Crosby, not sure he can count or really hadn't already Blossomed.

Malkin has at best plateaued. Letang seems the same. Since he doesn't really play rookies we dont have much of a body of work besides Bennett.

Neal maybe, although sniping on Malkins wing is what was expected, maybe he gets some credit there.

Bylsma it seems has done nothing to develop talent. So when a guy like Jeffrey comes up and shows something and then a year and a half later he is gone for nothing...not sure how folks can so easily point to Jeffrey as the guilty party.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He shouldn't have done either.

For me, Jeffrey just didn't have a spot here. Yeah, in a vacuum, he's a way better hockey player than Glass, Vitale, Adams, D'Agostini, or any other guy we're throwing in the bottom 6. When put in that role though, he just hasn't been good. The one real role for him on this team is held down by a player better and younger (I think) than him. He was screwed.

I am sort of surprised we couldn't get something for him, but I'm not completely shocked. What has he done of note in the NHL? Nothing. At least when we traded Letestu, he was a legitimate faceoff man and showed some offensive ability.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
For me, Jeffrey just didn't have a spot here. Yeah, in a vacuum, he's a way better hockey player than Glass, Vitale, Adams, D'Agostini, or any other guy we're throwing in the bottom 6. When put in that role though, he just hasn't been good. The one real role for him on this team is held down by a player better and younger (I think) than him. He was screwed.

I am sort of surprised we couldn't get something for him, but I'm not completely shocked. What has he done of note in the NHL? Nothing. At least when we traded Letestu, he was a legitimate faceoff man and showed some offensive ability.
Agreed.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Jeffrey had enough opportunities here. If we've got guys better suited to bottom 6 wing duty like Megna, Gibbons, Sill etc. on the call up list, there's really no reason to keep him around.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
In principle, I understand the ire over poor asset management.

But not in this case. Dustin Jeffrey is absolutely not an NHL-calibre hockey player.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

But not in this case. Dustin Jeffrey is absolutely not an NHL-calibre hockey player.
I wouldn't go that far. He's similar to Letestu who latched on in Columbus. Just a matter of finding a team that has a role for him. The Pens do not.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I wouldn't say he's not an NHL caliber player. He is. He just needs a role and an opportunity.

I am surprised that Shero couldn't have got something of value though. I'm happy for Jeffrey though. I'm sure he's ecstatic. He's been getting dicked over here for a long time.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Best of luck to Jeffrey in his future endeavors. Even with the slump that he is in, he had more success here than many care to acknowledge (15 goals and 28 points in his first 100 NHL games). This is in spite of him getting inconsistent starts, minutes, linemates and even positions.

The 4th line of him, Vitale and Engo certainly passed the eye test better than any other combination this season, but that's ONLY because Glass and Adams were able to seamlessly transition to bigger & better roles on the 3rd, and sometimes 2nd line.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
So let me get this straight, Shero is smart since he opted for Adams who is 11 years older and less skilled than Jeffery since Adams fills a roll? What qualifies Shero to be a GM again? Oh yea, his dad was Fred Shero.

How good of a job has Shero done during his tenure? Take out 87,71,58 & 29 and then tell what's left at either the NHL or AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad