NESN Dallas News - Jack Edwards calls Stars Roman Polak’s collision into boards ‘bad hockey karma'

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
A review of Mr. Polak.

240 pound, 14 year veteran defensive defenseman. Most penalty minutes in a season, 72. Suspended once.

Doesn't sound like the all-time dirt bag cheap shot artist many posters here are portraying him as.

Some people are experts with getting away with ****. He IMO is one. If Marchand did the same thing and got injured he would still get the suspension before they wheeled him off the ice.

Reactions: BMC

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The only one of the Mtl fights i had any issue with was Boychuk/Spacek. Spacek clearly didn't want to go, Boychuk went anyway.
Moen (6'2 215) vs Ference (5'11, 185) - both guys wanted to go
Spacek (6' 210) vs Boychuk (6'2 225) - Spacek didn't want any, Boychuk mugged him
Hamrlik (6'1 205) vs Thornton (6'2 215) - Hamrlik didn't want to fight, Thornton push/jabbed him a couple times, then wrestled him down
Pyett (5'11 180) vs Campbell (6' 195) - Campbell was the aggressor, Pyett obliged willingly, Campbell's elbow pad come loose made it a beating
Polak(6'2 240) vs Krug (5'9 190) - They're hugging like everyone not involved in a scrap always do when Polak drops the gloves and gives Krug 2 cheapies right to the face.

But, no, you're right, apples to apples.

Yes when a Bruin who doesn't fight often gets picked on it's a crime against humanity where the perp deserves a serious injury (karma right?) but when the Bruins do it, that's old time hockey.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
He's easily bottom third of pbp callers and is the #1 clown. You need to watch more teams telecasts and you'll change your tune.
Do you value highly the unemotional broadcasters who either have zero passion/knowledge or are afraid to upset anyone?

That is the majority of the NHL's local broadcast teams. I watch games nightly on NHL TV and outside of Vegas most teams' crews are brutal to listen to.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Yes when a Bruin who doesn't fight often gets picked on it's a crime against humanity where the perp deserves a serious injury (karma right?) but when the Bruins do it, that's old time hockey.
Is the takeaway here the contrast between a rational, sane Canadien press and fanbase versus the neanderthals in Boston?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The player's history doesn't matter. What matters is that he got hurt attempting to throw a very questionable hit. He's lucky in that he didn't get hurt too badly and Wagner escaped injury. But regardless of that, he was throwing a hit he never should have attempted. It had bad results written all over it.

I don't understand how anyone can say he was attempting a questionable hit. He may well have been trying to slow down when he lost his balance and fell.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Do you value highly the unemotional broadcasters who either have zero passion/knowledge or are afraid to upset anyone?

That is the majority of the NHL's local broadcast teams. I watch games nightly on NHL TV and outside of Vegas most teams' crews are brutal to listen to.

Nah they are all emotional. Most also call the game and don’t go off on tangents or whine when their team is the victim or the nail after years of the opposite. I also like them to let the color guys tell the stories because you know those are the guys who played the game. I mean how many words can Brickley even get in during a period?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't understand how anyone can say he was attempting a questionable hit. He may well have been trying to slow down when he lost his balance and fell.

Uh, because of where and how Wagner was positioned? He had a choice to make. Either hold up or throw a hit on a player in a vulnerable position, and he picked the latter. In this case, Wagner mostly avoided it and he ended up throwing himself into the boards.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Nah they are all emotional. Most also call the game and don’t go off on tangents or whine when their team is the victim or the nail after years of the opposite. I also like them to let the color guys tell the stories because you know those are the guys who played the game. I mean how many words can Brickley even get in during a period?

Jack is a lot to take. But in this case, he's not wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad