NESN Dallas News - Jack Edwards calls Stars Roman Polak’s collision into boards ‘bad hockey karma'

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The Stars were tested early in their season opener against Boston.

Dallas and coach Jim Montgomery lost three players to injury in the game's first 30 minutes, most scarily defenseman Roman Polak on an awkward crash into the boards in the second period.

With 12:56 left in the second period, Polak hit the boards first with his right shoulder, immediately followed by his head. He was taken off the ice on a stretcher and did not move while he laid face-down on the ice.

What local Stars fans didn't get to see was the response to the play from the commentators on NESN's Bruins broadcast.

"That looked self-induced, didn't it?," NESN's Bruins color analyst Andy Brickley said immediately after the collision.

"Has a little bit of bad hockey karma," NESN's Bruins play-by-play announcer Jack Edwards responded.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

"That looked self-induced, didn't it?," NESN's Bruins color analyst Andy Brickley said immediately after the collision.

"Has a little bit of bad hockey karma," NESN's Bruins play-by-play announcer Jack Edwards responded.

Both statements are 100% true. It's not like Edwards said something like " Polak deserved it and I'm glad he's hurt ".

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I hope Polak is ok but I don’t think Jack was wrong in what he said and he obviously stopped right away once he saw how serious it was.

Polak is constantly trying to make hits like this and misjudged the situation, hesitated and fell. I don’t think he realized Wags is a bit faster than he though and that he was able to get out of the way.

The manufactured outrage on Twitter is predictable and eye rolling

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I don't recall the tone of the statement - seems like bad phrasing, perhaps? Perhaps he meant "random bad luck" and it came out "karma". I mean, if he said "That's karma for you!" excitedly, that would be absolutely disgusting. Either way, if I were Jack, I'd apologize for the bad phrasing.

Besides, I've never thought of Polak as a particularly dirty player - heavy-hitting, and maybe sometimes on the edge, but not quite in the Orpik/Shaw/Cooke hall of fame.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
It was meant in that the play could/should have injured Wagner but instead injures himself. Which is exactly what happened.

This is a non story. Edwards wasn't saying he deserved it as he was taken to the hospital etc.

I see the Stars published the article.

It very nearly could have been 'Wagner taken to hospital on shove from behind'. It fortunately was not.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
The severity of the injury initially escaped most, not just Jack and Brick. I had the Dallas feed and for quite a while after it happened, Daryl Reaugh was convinced it was a shoulder injury.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
what what a load of nothing...I get that some Bruins fans are just looking for an excuse to pile on Jack, but it's insane to suggest that this was a classless comment about an injured player. The headline is going to make it sound like Jack was saying Polak deserved it as he was being stretchered off. I just went back & watched it and the karma line was said seconds after the hit. Jack wasn't making light of the injury at all and was clearly just trying to say that it was a case of a player trying to throw a hit and ending up taking the brunt of the damage. I really don't think he meant to imply that he deserved to get hurt or anything of the sort. And once it was clear that Polak was hurt Jack was solemn and respectful.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Predictably, the main board is being completely stupid about Jack's comment. In context, the line is maybe a little loose. but that's it. Not malicious or offensive given that it happened while we were still expecting Polak to pop right up.

Who f***ing cares? Why does everyone have to take everything so f***ing seriously?

Jack says plenty of stupid things, but I honestly don't think this is one of them. All I know is that I'm glad we have an announcer with some personality and not one of these empty suit interchangeable regional Fox Sports play by play men.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The crying if it were Marchand and the Dallas guy said it would have been gold,

Edwards just got finished telling the story about how cutting edge he was at ESPN by saying what he wanted.

He should be fined or suspended so he can get some of that "bad announcing karma"

Someone should tell Jack he's not the focus of these telecasts. I think he likes the "bad boy" role as announcer (if it's even possible to be that).

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

The Stars were tested early in their season opener against Boston.

Dallas and coach Jim Montgomery lost three players to injury in the game's first 30 minutes, most scarily defenseman Roman Polak on an awkward crash into the boards in the second period.

With 12:56 left in the second period, Polak hit the boards first with his right shoulder, immediately followed by his head. He was taken off the ice on a stretcher and did not move while he laid face-down on the ice.

What local Stars fans didn't get to see was the response to the play from the commentators on NESN's Bruins broadcast.

1. It was self induced

2. Karma is real - I’m not a fan of Roman Polak and wish no ill on him. On the contrary I wish him good health and to play clean hockey

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Simply true statements spoken by both Brick and Jack, said with neither malice nor glee. Calling it as they saw it in the spur of the moment. People are just looking for reasons to fan their hate. Nothing to see here.

I wish Polak a speedy recovery.

We all see what we want to see

We all believe what we want to believe

I had no problem with it

I wish Polak all the best.

I don’t like him as a player but I’m sure if I was a teammate I’d love him as a person

I tell friends & family of mine don’t waste time wishing ill on certain people, karma has a way of taking care of it

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It was. It would have been a bad hit potentially if it connected. Sucks he got hurt, but he did it to himself.
Yes it was

Watching it unfold I’m thinking ‘Wagner is screwed here’

I then thought Wagner consciously or unconsciously knew it was Polak and reacted differently which resulted in what happened

My take and that’s the way I’m filing it away

Karma I totally see based on the player but If I’m Jack I wish I didn’t say it

Brick no problems.

Alan Walsh is in my Book of D Bags

Reactions: Lady Rhian

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
looked like it would have been a nothing play if the Bruin player didnt trip and lose his balance. Dangerous game at high speed

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
We all see what we want to see

We all believe what we want to believe

I had no problem with it

I wish Polak all the best.

I don’t like him as a player but I’m sure if I was a teammate I’d love him as a person

I tell friends & family of mine don’t waste time wishing ill on certain people, karma has a way of taking care of it

I think a lot of how you view it comes down to how you interpret 'karma' in the context of Jack's statement. You can either take it to mean that he's saying Polak deserved to be hurt because he has form on hitting or even running guys against the boards, or you can take it as simply saying that the attempted, pretty questionable, hit from behind backfired and put him in the wall instead, so that he copped what he was trying to dish out.

The former is clearly straying into unacceptable territory, but the latter, which is how I read it and I think how it was intended, is fairly tame and not doing much more than stating a pretty incontrovertible fact. Jack Edwards is many things, some of them borderline crazy, but he's not malicious, unless the subject is the Habs or the demise of the Whalers. I definitely think he gets a rise out of saying the occasional slightly controversial thing, but not nasty stuff.

Ultimately you'd prefer he didn't say it and it was slightly careless, but I really can't see much in it to be upset about unless you're looking to be upset by it.

Reactions: DKH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad