NESN Dallas News - Jack Edwards calls Stars Roman Polak’s collision into boards ‘bad hockey karma'

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Reading the main board thread on this topic shows the sad state of hockey fans. Most didn't even bother watching the play... they just see Edwards and The Bruins and they'll immediately cling to whatever puts them ( Edwards/Bruins ) in a poor light on the topic. Calling Edwards.a garbage human being, calling the Bruins classless... it's pretty pathetic.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Those lower back crosschecks/shoves that far from the boards are vicious. We are lucky Wagner is uninjured.

That wasn't standard contact by any means. It was dumb, and dirty. Especially in today's game.

Hits from behind into the boards are worse than hits to the head in my opinion, controversial as it may seem.

My first thought when the hit happened was that Wagner was going to be the one laying there. **** Polack (now that we know he's going to be okay). He is a dirty SOB on the ice and has taken cheap hits on B's in the past. That agent who made it sound as though the comment was made AFTER the hit was just feeding into the bandwagon nonsense that add nothing constructive to the situation.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The crying if it were Marchand and the Dallas guy said it would have been gold,

Edwards just got finished telling the story about how cutting edge he was at ESPN by saying what he wanted.

He should be fined or suspended so he can get some of that "bad announcing karma"

Someone should tell Jack he's not the focus of these telecasts. I think he likes the "bad boy" role as announcer (if it's even possible to be that).

Said by the guy who loved Alex Kramer. Jack is so much better than 99% of the other announcers that I've heard call games. Although sometimes annoying I enjoy the games WAY more when he is calling them. So sick of media people being bandwagoners and mimicking each other to the point where there is no personality, no free thought or true courage in saying what they feel.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

The comment was made before anyone realized that Polak was hurt. Now that we know that menace named Polak is going to be alright ***** Polak and I hope that same thing happens the next time he tries to crush another player into the boards. When is a bum like Polak ever going to realize that he can disable someone for life if he doesn't get a taste of his own medicine?!?!? Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady Rhian and BMC

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The comment was made before anyone realized that Polak was hurt. Now that we know that menace named Polak is going to be alright ***** Polak and I hope that same thing happens the next time he tries to crush another player into the boards. When is a bum like Polak ever going to realize that he can disable someone for life if he doesn't get a taste of his own medicine?!?!? Live by the sword, die by the sword.

A review of Mr. Polak.

240 pound, 14 year veteran defensive defenseman. Most penalty minutes in a season, 72. Suspended once.

Doesn't sound like the all-time dirt bag cheap shot artist many posters here are portraying him as.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
A review of Mr. Polak.

240 pound, 14 year veteran defensive defenseman. Most penalty minutes in a season, 72. Suspended once.

Doesn't sound like the all-time dirt bag cheap shot artist many posters here are portraying him as.

They are exaggerating.

I don't hold ill will towards Polak but only because Wagner escaped injure.

That was an attempt to injure, but without the result there is no reason to be upset over it now.

It all circles back to the statement self induced, end period. It was.

I am also very supportive of Jack not caving to the majority of those who feign the outrage considering they read a Dallas article and a tweet by the player agent without ever watching or considering context. They can take a hike.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Said by the guy who loved Alex Kramer. Jack is so much better than 99% of the other announcers that I've heard call games. Although sometimes annoying I enjoy the games WAY more when he is calling them. So sick of media people being bandwagoners and mimicking each other to the point where there is no personality, no free thought or true courage in saying what they feel.

He's easily bottom third of pbp callers and is the #1 clown. You need to watch more teams telecasts and you'll change your tune.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The player's history doesn't matter. What matters is that he got hurt attempting to throw a very questionable hit. He's lucky in that he didn't get hurt too badly and Wagner escaped injury. But regardless of that, he was throwing a hit he never should have attempted. It had bad results written all over it.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
People here are mad because he had the audacity to beat up Krug last year.
I forgot about that.

Polak's made his career out of greasy hits, that he went head first into the boards on a a fall he thought would have been broken by Wagner's numbers is just perfect. Maybe it will knock some sense into him.

Nobody had an issue when Boston cleaned the ice with the Montreal light weights a few years back.

That's like comparing lightning and a lightning bug... but good memories for sure.

Last edited:

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
I've had a unhealthy dislike (not as a human being just as a broadcaster of course) of Jack Edwards going all the way back to when he was on ESPN, but even I don't think it's that big of a deal. Brickley's comment was worse to me because of the tone of his voice, but as they should have they both shut up when it looked like Polak was hurt seriously. Jack ends up getting more of the grief though because he's a "clown"

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
A review of Mr. Polak.

Regardless, he was reckless and put Wagner into the boards with the intention of causing pain. Frankly he may not be a dirt bag but he is a dumbass and he was injured for being one.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If I live 100 years maybe then I can understand all the hate Jack generates. Yes, he's a homer, never heard a home town announcer that isn't.

and I`ll wager those who complain about Jack here are also one`s who loudly post about how awful the PBP team was in this game or that when they don`t have a NESN feed

Jack`s over the top yelling and screaming at times make me cringe but overall, he does his research, while he is undoubtedly a homer, he also provides plenty of solid information about the B`s opponents for the night, offering short takes on a prospect or younger player an opponent has on their roster or providing stats that might be relevant. Tell ya one thing, rarely do I hear Jack butcher names of opponents consistently like far too many other broadcasters out there.

Never want a stretcher to come out on the ice but none of that happens if Polak doesn`t try to do what he did

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Nobody had an issue when Boston cleaned the ice with the Montreal light weights a few years back.

The only one of the Mtl fights i had any issue with was Boychuk/Spacek. Spacek clearly didn't want to go, Boychuk went anyway.
Moen (6'2 215) vs Ference (5'11, 185) - both guys wanted to go
Spacek (6' 210) vs Boychuk (6'2 225) - Spacek didn't want any, Boychuk mugged him
Hamrlik (6'1 205) vs Thornton (6'2 215) - Hamrlik didn't want to fight, Thornton push/jabbed him a couple times, then wrestled him down
Pyett (5'11 180) vs Campbell (6' 195) - Campbell was the aggressor, Pyett obliged willingly, Campbell's elbow pad come loose made it a beating
Polak(6'2 240) vs Krug (5'9 190) - They're hugging like everyone not involved in a scrap always do when Polak drops the gloves and gives Krug 2 cheapies right to the face.

But, no, you're right, apples to apples.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad