NESN Dallas News - Jack Edwards calls Stars Roman Polak’s collision into boards ‘bad hockey karma'

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Shea told a coworker of mine (back in the late '80s) that "I'm not a big hockey fan, football is my favorite game." You know what? The way he called a game you could tell that was true!

Dave Shea sucked so much. Literally made the games unwatchable with him talking. Had to put it on mute most of the time because he was that terrible. Even Fred and Derek hated him and couldn't disagree with whatever point he made fast enough.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Dave Shea sucked so much. Literally made the games unwatchable with him talking. Had to put it on mute most of the time because he was that terrible. Even Fred and Derek hated him and couldn't disagree with whatever point he made fast enough.
How I miss Bob Wilson...... "Oh My".....

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
IIRC, I would put on WBZ radio with Arlington resident Bob Wilson. His booming voice, the information that he gave, the picture that he painted will never be forgotten by me. I remember the opening was select parts of the Chicago song "25 or 6 to 4." Wilson talked over parts of the song to dramatically introduce the game. CLASSIC!

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Shea told a coworker of mine (back in the late '80s) that "I'm not a big hockey fan, football is my favorite game." You know what? The way he called a game you could tell that was true!

My friend's sister was a segment producer for TV38 back in the day. She told me Dave Shea humble bragged about the fact he had never seen a hockey game live until he was put in the booth.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I really think Jack was just a victim of his own propensity to wax poetic here. Where most PBP guys would just say in plain language that Polak went for a big hit and hurt himself, Jack tried to use more flavorful language resulting in a clumsy 'karma' metaphor which is easy for people to interpret as Jack maliciously saying that Polak deserved to get hurt. I really think by "hockey karma" Jack just meant that in the flow of the hockey play the guy trying to throw a hit ended up taking the worst of it. I don't think it was meant as any sort of commentary on Polak as a player specifically or even an implication that the play was dirty. I think it was just awkward phrasing. The unfortunate thing is that immediately after the game the quote circulated with images of Polak on a stretcher and 80+% or readers are going to only see the headline & the pic and will assume that Jack said it maliciously as Polak was being stretchered out.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I don't care for when Jack gets into a story about whatever and then Brick laughs like Ed McMahon at something that wasn't even a joke. JACK if you're reading here, I really dig how you do the games but PLEASE, FOR ALL THAT'S HOLY CALL THE GAME! Brick stop being such an *** kisser and have a stronger opinion ffs. YOU played the game at its highest level, you have fans and a great resume!

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I don't care for when Jack gets into a story about whatever and then Brick laughs like Ed McMahon at something that wasn't even a joke. JACK if you're reading here, I really dig how you do the games but PLEASE, FOR ALL THAT'S HOLY CALL THE GAME! Brick stop being such an *** kisser and have a stronger opinion ffs. YOU played the game at its highest level, you have fans and a great resume!
You know it's funny, I watch the broadcasts and come away with the feeling that Brick is actually a bigger homer than Jack. He comments more one-sidedly on calls made or not made, has stronger words during replays, and just comes off as a homer. Jack at least shows appreciation for excellent plays made by the other team, and comes off as more of a fan of the game of hockey.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
You know it's funny, I watch the broadcasts and come away with the feeling that Brick is actually a bigger homer than Jack. He comments more one-sidedly on calls made or not made, has stronger words during replays, and just comes off as a homer. Jack at least shows appreciation for excellent plays made by the other team, and comes off as more of a fan of the game of hockey.
I think you're on to something here.

Obviously Jack just stands out more because he's the PBP guy and often,kinda,sorta overacts on some plays or digs into random players. So it's more noticeable. Especially to the infrequent viewer.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Brickley never used to be that way but I do agree. They have broken him lol.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Brickley never used to be that way but I do agree. They have broken him lol.

Back when he and Jack were doing the road games and Dale and Kluze were the home guys, Brick was much tougher on the Bruins. Kluze was good at that too from my hazy memories.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad