NESN Dallas News - Jack Edwards calls Stars Roman Polak’s collision into boards ‘bad hockey karma'

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Come on. You make it sound like all other NHL teams have guys like Dave Gaucher calling their games.

Jack is what he is, but he’s also one of the best PBP guys in the business. I’ve been hearing game TV and radio highlights from every other team in the league on NHL Radio for years, and Edwards is way better than just about all of them.

Most of what passes for PBP around the league is clown show time

I couldn't agree more.

For those fans who want Jack replaced....be careful what you wish for

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I mean if Polak was hurt worse I’m sure Edwards at least backtracks on the timeline of them.

Whatever it’s over. Plays along the boards are a grey area contact is assumed and 99% of the time it’s just normal hits and normal hockey but guys catch edges and it’s scary. He should have STFU but Polak isn’t hurt that bad. Guys not moving is terrifying regardless of how it happened.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I couldn't agree more.

For those fans who want Jack replaced....be careful what you wish for

Jack annoys me occasionally over the course of the season and at times I think that hearing someone else call a Bs game every now and then just to break things up would be nice, but then the postseason rolls around and it's all NBC and suddenly I'm missing him and Brick pretty quickly. Their strengths far outweigh their weaknesses for me.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Let Turk do home games again.

I used to love Sanderson's color commentating with Fred but I think that ship has sailed

Back in the 80's when I used to pick up Bruins games on satellite, there were quite a few games that stayed with the live feed during intermissions and commercials and Derek was a bit loose with his language (to say the least)

It was hilarious how Fred had to remind him (many times) they were on satellite tv.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I don't know if it's been brought up or if it is even relevant here, but the last time the Bruins played in Dallas, Patrice Bergeron sustained an injury on a questionable play by Radek Faksa.

So it's possible Edwards' instinctual use of the word 'karma' was directed more at the Stars in general than Polak himself.

Even the Stars' announcers didn't grasp the severity of the injury at first.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jack BLEEDS Black and Gold as he grew up in New Hampshire watching the Bobby Orr team.

What the haters on the mainboard don't get is when the Bruins lose he does NOT SUGARCOAT it as proved by this standup last June.

People forget that Dale Arnold walked away from the Bruins in 2007 when NESN decided to have one voice doing home and away and Dale could not walk away from his lucrative WEEI job which was later yanked away from him and Jack became fulltime. Jack took over from Dave Shea after the lost season because Dave took the Washington Nationals radio job in 2005 which didn't pan out for him.

List of Boston Bruins broadcasters - Wikipedia

Jack is a homer and guess what - so were Fred Cusick and Bob Wilson.

Last edited:

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
People forget that Dale Arnold walked away from the Bruins in 2007 when NESN decided to have one voice doing home and away and Dale could not walk away from his lucrative WEEI job which was later yanked away from him and Jack became fulltime. Jack took over from Dave Shea after the lost season because Dave took the Washington Nationals radio job in 2005 which didn't pan out for him.

Thank God ...Dave Shea was more like a golf commentator than a PBP hockey announcer

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
The comment was made before anyone realized that Polak was hurt. Now that we know that menace named Polak is going to be alright ***** Polak and I hope that same thing happens the next time he tries to crush another player into the boards. When is a bum like Polak ever going to realize that he can disable someone for life if he doesn't get a taste of his own medicine?!?!? Live by the sword, die by the sword.
What you just said was exactly Jack and Brick's point. They didn't realize that he was badly injured.

What's funny is if Polak had been fine and returned later in the game, no one would give a flying fig newton about the comment.

I don't defend Brick often- he gets on my nerves with his long winded explanations, and they frustrate me when Jack should be calling the game and Brick just carries on like he's on a hockey talk show as the host. This time, I am defending him. It was said in the moment, neither Jack nor Brick realized that Polak was injured.

Cripes- we had Montreal fans calling 911 over Chara's hit on Paciortty and Chara had to talk to the police before he played another game there and put up with bunk from Habs fans and other teams' fans around the league's abuse on social media. Yet Jack and Brick make an truthful comment about a guy who loves to send guys to the locker room because he missed his target, and all hell breaks lose. Only because this time, he was truly injured. Imagine the damage that could have been done to Wagner, had he connected.

That said, I wish Polak a speedy recovery. Fractured sternums are painful and take awhile to heal. I can imagine he's having a hard time with breathing and eating now (yes, even eating is painful, after you swallow, drinking, too, can be bothersome).

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Come on. You make it sound like all other NHL teams have guys like Dave Gaucher calling their games.

Jack is what he is, but he’s also one of the best PBP guys in the business. I’ve been hearing game TV and radio highlights from every other team in the league on NHL Radio for years, and Edwards is way better than just about all of them.

Most of what passes for PBP around the league is clown show time

Thanks Chief..... now I expect I will have to spend the day in the emergency room. Why? Because listening to that Dave Mishkin call makes me want to punch someone, poke my eardrums out with an icepick, or pound my head against cement.

Ridiculous. Quite literally what you'd expect if you caught a 12 year old sitting in his room pretending to call the SCF game winning goal. If you walked in on that 12 year old he'd be embarrassed.

Yes, Jack has his toe curling moments -- moments he goes over the top. However, as you say, he is truly one of the best PBP guys in the League. Prepared and does his job. The toe curling over the top moments? BFD -- live with the good and bad, just like everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad