Dale Weise on the Trade Block?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dale Weise is just occupying a spot. He could easily be replaced with any of our depth guys/prospects and have the same results. If a team is willing to give us a pick for him, why not

Weise is one of the best/highest-scoring 4th liners in the NHL.

He's scoring more points/ES minute played than Ryan Kesler.

He's on a bargain basement contract. Why we'd want to move him I have absolutely no idea. He's criminally under-appreciated here.

The amount of guys who can score 20-25 points playing 8 minutes/game while playing a consistently physical game is ... pretty much zero.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

He's on a bargain basement contract. Why we'd want to move him I have absolutely no idea. He's criminally under-appreciated here.

The amount of guys who can score 20-25 points playing 8 minutes/game while playing a consistently physical game is ... pretty much zero.

They may feel Sestito has taken his job and it could be a numbers game when everyone gets healthy. Dalpe has started to show something IMO and they might have to make a decision to waive him or Weise...

I don't think they will just give him away. But will deal him if the alternative is waivers.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

yeah i dont ****ing get it. weise is the best 4th liner you could hope for. are people upset because he's honest and not a complete hockey robot?

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
yeah i dont ****ing get it. weise is the best 4th liner you could hope for. are people upset because he's honest and not a complete hockey robot?

Tortz is trying to build a winning culture and a hard-working work ethic. If Weise is complaining all the time and has a poor work ethic... that could be a reason to shop him I guess - if he is influencing other players.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I don't get this rumor. Why advertise so publicly you have a fourth liner for sale? like, every team has a fourth liner for sale. This is either bush league or blown out of proportion or some kind of ploy to lure another GM in to start a negotiation for a bigger trade...

Whatever it is, I dont really get this

Last edited:

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
I get the feeling that the Canucks have soured on Weise. His play has dropped off as the season has gone along, and I don't think they enjoyed his public complaining about his role. Don't know if they would have been crazy about that slewfoot/trip vs LA, either.

Also, I don't know why a "Dale Weise Sweepstakes" is news, but there you go.

He publically complained about his role?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I hate Weise. Even when he had that one week where he put up a few points, he'd produce a turnover on the exact same shift lol. If we can move him for another fourth liner, I don't mind. I don't know what we'd get for him, but I'd rather have someone else there.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
What's with all the Weise hate? He's on pace for around 20 points as a 4th liner, fights willingly, skates really fast, plays physical: i.e. a perfect fourth liner.

Agreed. 20 points from a 4th line guy is pretty high-end production. Love this quote of his btw:

"I don’t know who I was talking to the other day, but if you look around the NHL, I think I have the most points of any fourth line player. In the league. Any guy. I didn’t notice that.

I’ve found ways to make plays this year. It was the same thing tonight. I was out there with Higgy and we made a pretty good play there. I’m not trying to take the physical game away. I know that’s what I have to do first."

You know he's always been vocal about his aspirations of being more than a bottom-line guy, :laugh: but honestly I could care less if he doesn't hit like a monster out there. Give me a player who can help score goals from the 4th line.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Will get little to no value. Would be stupid to trade him unless he's a part of a package.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
They may feel Sestito has taken his job and it could be a numbers game when everyone gets healthy. Dalpe has started to show something IMO and they might have to make a decision to waive him or Weise...

I don't think they will just give him away. But will deal him if the alternative is waivers.

I too think it has to do with Dalpe/Weise. They've made a call. RW is pretty deep here also. Burrows, Kassian, Dalpe, Hansen, Weise, Santo (when there) and even Kesler when playing with the twins. More leeway to move players.

This reminds me of Torres/Raymond. They kept the player with more upside in Raymond, over the one that served a defined role. It's a risk.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I too think it has to do with Dalpe/Weise. They've made a call. RW is pretty deep here also. Burrows, Kassian, Dalpe, Hansen, Weise, Santo (when there) and even Kesler when playing with the twins. More leeway to move players.

This reminds me of Torres/Raymond. They kept the player with more upside in Raymond, over the one that served a defined role. It's a risk.

They kept the player that was still under team control while the free-agent left. There was no "choice" between Raymond and Torres and in fact it was reported that Torres was offered a contract.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver

It was a risk, and I think we made the wrong choice in that case. Torres made this team far harder to play against, and he upped his game in the playoffs bigtime. Could have really used him the last couple years, rather than have him playing for the team knocking us out of the big show.

Weise won't be moved unless its part of a package deal, in my opinion.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
I don't get this rumor. Why advertise so publicly you have a fourth liner for sale? like, every team has a fourth liner for sale. This is either bush league or blown out of proportion or some kind of ploy to lure another GM in to start a negotiation for a bigger trade...

Whatever it is, I dont really get this

Maybe he's been more talkative behind the scenes about his role, and Gillis is openly floating him to show him there's no interest. I don't think it's likely, but if his ego is bigger than his role, it would be a swift reality check.

Btw, him stating that being a 4th liner is the hardest position in hockey isn't as bad as people are saying. He honestly just didn't word it well.

All he was saying is that it's hard to come off the bench after sitting stagnant for 30+ minutes, and instantly summon energy, grit, timing etc to forecheck, hit, fight and make intelligent plays. I agree with him 100% in that respect.

I think it was just a poor figure of speech, and you have to be more careful around reporters that are only too happy to take a quote out of context.

Regardless, him being on the block isn't news. I'm sure Gillis isn't saying, "get in line guys! Dale Weise is available!"
He simply put his name on a list that says, "any interest in this player, let me know. We're OK with moving him. "

It's only news because Gillis rarely does it, and some local media will try to wring a story out of anything. And look at us talking about this inconsequential tidbit! Job well done by him!

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Crack reporting from Botchford. A possible 4th liner move? Seriously? What's next, a Mike McCardell like human interest story about an eight year old hockey player who speaks funny but when you rearrange the letters in the kid's name it spells "Tim Hortons"?

This just in Botch, I had Bran Flakes for breakfast. Results pending.

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
Crack reporting from Botchford. A possible 4th liner move? Seriously? What's next, a Mike McCardell like human interest story about an eight year old hockey player who speaks funny but when you rearrange the letters in the kid's name it spells "Tim Hortons"?

This just in Botch, I had Bran Flakes for breakfast. Results pending.

The results of your Bran Flakes will still smell better than this idiot's 'journalism'

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
We need to trade Weise, he's obviously eating up all the prime offensive minutes we should be giving our top 6 players.

If Dale was doing his job guys we wouldn't be wasting the offensive talents of Sestito and Kassian to do it.

Weise is the guy with the tools to be a good 4th liner but no tool box.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
If Dale was doing his job guys we wouldn't be wasting the offensive talents of Sestito and Kassian to do it.

Weise is the guy with the tools to be a good 4th liner but no tool box.

I'm actually pretty indifferent to Weise, he's a decent 4th liner so I don't really see any issue with keeping him, or trading him...but only if it makes sense. If we aren't getting a piece that makes us a better team, just leave him be.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Maybe he's been more talkative behind the scenes about his role, and Gillis is openly floating him to show him there's no interest. I don't think it's likely, but if his ego is bigger than his role, it would be a swift reality check.

Btw, him stating that being a 4th liner is the hardest position in hockey isn't as bad as people are saying. He honestly just didn't word it well.

All he was saying is that it's hard to come off the bench after sitting stagnant for 30+ minutes, and instantly summon energy, grit, timing etc to forecheck, hit, fight and make intelligent plays. I agree with him 100% in that respect.

I think it was just a poor figure of speech, and you have to be more careful around reporters that are only too happy to take a quote out of context.

Regardless, him being on the block isn't news. I'm sure Gillis isn't saying, "get in line guys! Dale Weise is available!"
He simply put his name on a list that says, "any interest in this player, let me know. We're OK with moving him. "

It's only news because Gillis rarely does it, and some local media will try to wring a story out of anything. And look at us talking about this inconsequential tidbit! Job well done by him!

That's quite possible. Good post.

Betamax*

Lol what is Weise going to fetch? Not more than hes worth.

Probably as much as Volpatti would be my guess. If the Canucks need a replacement, if the guys on the farms don't solidify a role on the 4th line, they will could probably find something off waivers -- where Weise was acquired.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Probably as much as Volpatti would be my guess. If the Canucks need a replacement, if the guys on the farms don't solidify a role on the 4th line, they will could probably find something off waivers -- where Weise was acquired.

We could replace him with Samuelsson, right?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
They kept the player that was still under team control while the free-agent left. There was no "choice" between Raymond and Torres and in fact it was reported that Torres was offered a contract.

They offered him a 1 year contract. He wanted 2 years. I believe the offer was short term because they were still invested in Raymond, wanting to see what he would develop into. Locking down Higgins was automatic. Then the question was which one of the remaining tweener LWers they were going to keep long-term. That was between Raymond and Torres.

It's fine to have 3 bottom9 LWers making 3rd line money, for a time. Sooner or later though, a call usually gets made regarding 4th line players making that higher salary.

It was a risk, and I think we made the wrong choice in that case. Torres made this team far harder to play against, and he upped his game in the playoffs bigtime. Could have really used him the last couple years, rather than have him playing for the team knocking us out of the big show.

Weise won't be moved unless its part of a package deal, in my opinion.

I think it was the wrong choice as well. Even if people don't believe there was a choice between the two players, it was the wrong move to let Torres walk at all. Maybe the suspension stigma played into it. Maybe it was other stuff behind the scenes, but they've been looking for the elements he provided ever since.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4