Dale Weise on the Trade Block?

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
They offered him a 1 year contract. He wanted 2 years. I believe the offer was short term because they were still invested in Raymond, wanting to see what he would develop into. Locking down Higgins was automatic. Then the question was which one of the remaining tweener LWers they were going to keep long-term. That was between Raymond and Torres.

It's fine to have 3 bottom9 LWers making 3rd line money, for a time. Sooner or later though, a call usually gets made regarding 4th line players making that higher salary.

I believe the offer was short term because Raffi likes to party. Agree to disagree.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I believe the offer was short term because Raffi likes to party. Agree to disagree.

Hahaha maybe. I can understand giving a player like that a constant push with short-term contract followed by short-term contract... In theory. At some point though, when the guy gives you what he did over a SCF run, a reward in security is warranted.

If it was just to motivate him, then that was a stupid decision IMO. I highly doubt 1 year in term was the perceived difference between him staying in line and him falling off the rails. I'm good with agreeing to disagree though, in any event.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
What a weird rumor to leak...I doubt Gillis is going around calling other GM's about Weise.

Wetcoaster

What a weird rumor to leak...I doubt Gillis is going around calling other GM's about Weise.
Apparently the original leak came from Bob McKenzie according to an earlier post.

Botch was just doing his part for the environment and recycling it.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
If Dale was doing his job guys we wouldn't be wasting the offensive talents of Sestito and Kassian to do it.

Weise is the guy with the tools to be a good 4th liner but no tool box.

I don't know about that. I like some of the plays he can and tries to make sometimes. He has some offensive instincts.

I'm never quite as worried about lack of hits or whatever - if at all - as I am about a lack of offence from a bottom 6 player. To win the Cup it's crucial you get that tertiary scoring. Been a pretty glaring issue over the past two playoffs.

Wetcoaster

I don't know about that. I like some of the plays he can and tries to make sometimes. He has some offensive instincts.

I'm never quite as worried about lack of hits or whatever - if at all - as I am about a lack of offence from a bottom 6 player. To win the Cup it's crucial you get that tertiary scoring. Been a pretty glaring issue over the past two playoffs.
The more serious issues now involve primary and secondary scoring.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Depends if you think our top scorers have permanently regressed. If you do, then yes. Comes down to your opinion.

Well, they aren't making a good case to show they haven't permanently regressed. Every game we think this is the game they break the slump, but it usually only lasts against the Eastern teams when they do.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Well, they aren't making a good case to show they haven't permanently regressed. Every game we think this is the game they break the slump, but it usually only lasts against the Eastern teams when they do.

The simplest explanation I have is that there are a combination of factors contributing to their current numbers. PP being only one of them.

To put that in a little more detail, basically the level of competition they're facing now at 5on5 - compared to when the Twins were putting up 90-100 points - is not the same.

So to me there's more to it than simply what's going on at the surface by looking at point totals.

Wetcoaster

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff
#Canucks Dale Weise only #NHL player with double-digit points (12) averaging single-digit ice time (7:53)

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
#Canucks Dale Weise only #NHL player with double-digit points (12) averaging single-digit ice time (7:53)

#efficiency. Being an engineering student, I approve of this. :nod:

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

Jeff Paterson is the king of bad stats in poor sample sizes. What a useless bit of information.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Is Dale a cancer in the dressing room or something? I don't understand why they would put him on the trading block.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Dale is the most inconsistent mainstay player on the team in my eyes. he will have a good rush or nice deke here and there but if you watch him away from the puck hes usually floating and watching the play, he seems to have no anticipation of what the play will develop into. his hits are pretty bad too, he either eases up all the way or hits the boards to make a loud noise instead. If he can give it his all for the whole shift every shift then he would get more icetime and may produce like a 3rd liner. also we saw the team on 'nhl revealed' joking at Dale's expense with his helmet hidden; that was most likely a friendly joke but who knows

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
He's played a total of 324 minutes... that's a poor sample size.

Eh, it's just a little fact. It's not as though anyone's trying to use it as a predictor of future performance.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Is Dale a cancer in the dressing room or something? I don't understand why they would put him on the trading block.

I was going to ask the same question...
With all of the crap we've had on our 4th line over the years, Weise is the last one that should ever be waived.
He's a good skater, plays a smart game, adds some size and toughness to the lineup, and can move up the lineup without embarrassing himself or the team if injuries arise.

I can't see him being a problem in the dressing room at all. Maybe coaches get frustrated with him bc the want him to play physical on a more consistent basis, and they take it personally when he doesn't comply???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad