Dale Weise on the Trade Block?

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Yea, I agree.

And like I've said, I was quite pleased with Welsh, and Arch's first showing here was stellar. Lain has been a pleasant surprise, but I wouldn't be shocked by another year for him in Utica.

Even Dalpe has turned a corner, which is positive to see.

Yep. Welsh might not light up Nashville like Weise does but I'd rather have a guy who wants to play every game with integrity than a guy who complains about having to play physical in his role every night.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Agreed that Weise is one of the better 4th liners this team has had in a long time, and I'd still argue that when he's on his game he's one of the only fourth liners in the system that aren't black holes when moved up a line. Odd timing as well to be shopping him when the rest of the lineup is so depleted. That said though, he still isn't anything more than a replacement level player. If there is an attitude issue with Torts and they feel Archibald is ready to take a full time role, take the 7th round pick over losing Weise on waivers.

Wetcoaster

But he's the Danish Gretzky! I bet Gillis also emailed out that vid of him leaving his league over there. Didn't they chant MVP? :laugh:

I like Weise though. He fights for this team and is pretty decent. Oh well, I'm sure Gillis will be disappointed when he doesn't get his Top-6 that he is hoping for.
Actually the Dutch Gretzky from his time playing in the Netherlands during the lockout for the Tilburg Trappers of the Eredivisie.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I get the feeling that the Canucks have soured on Weise. His play has dropped off as the season has gone along, and I don't think they enjoyed his public complaining about his role. Don't know if they would have been crazy about that slewfoot/trip vs LA, either.

Also, I don't know why a "Dale Weise Sweepstakes" is news, but there you go.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I get the feeling that the Canucks have soured on Weise. His play has dropped off as the season has gone along, and I don't think they enjoyed his public complaining about his role. Don't know if they would have been crazy about that slewfoot/trip vs LA, either.

Also, I don't know why a "Dale Weise Sweepstakes" is news, but there you go.

Because this is Vancouver and if there isn't something to complain about Canucks wise the whole city would implode.

Weise is replaceable, not to mention I don't want to give him a raise next year for something that Welsh/Archibald/Lain can replace for cheaper. If Weise committed himself to improving like Tommy Sestito has I would have a different opinion but I think that's being optimistic.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I doubt Welsh is qualified in the offseason. He'd be on another 1 way contract and the Canucks likely have other plans for that slot.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I doubt Welsh is qualified in the offseason. He'd be on another 1 way contract and the Canucks likely have other plans for that slot.

He doesn't have to be on a 1-way. His QO is based on the salary he would make in the NHL, unless he chooses to re-sign before he hits RFA. Nevertheless 1-way and 2-way contracts only refer to the salary you make in the NHL and AHL. On a one way you make the same in both leagues and on a two way you make two separate salaries. It has nothing to do with waiver eligibility, cap hit or contract slides.

For example, Pelletier is on a one-way contract so he makes 500K in the AHL (the number might be wrong but the concept is what I'm trying to illustrate). If Welsh has a one way he will just make a lot more money in the AHL than he would on a two way. I double Aquaman is really going to care about the couple hundred thousand dollars if it means retaining a decent prospect.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
He doesn't have to be on a 1-way. Nevertheless 1-way and 2-way contracts only refer to the salary you make in the NHL and AHL. On a one way you make the same in both leagues and on a two way you make two separate salaries. It has nothing to do with waiver eligibility, cap hit or contract slides.

For example, Pelletier is on a one-way contract so he makes 500K in the AHL (the number might be wrong but the concept is what I'm trying to illustrate). If Welsh has a one way he will just make a lot more money in the AHL than he would on a two way. I double Aquaman is really going to care about the couple hundred thousand dollars if it means retaining a decent prospect.

His qualifying offer would have be a $1m one way contract:
http://www.capgeek.com/qualifying-offer-calculator/?player_id=2221

But the main reason is that he's a 26 year old replacement level 4th liner. The Canucks will want to use that contract slot for a younger player with more upside. The 2014 version of Kellan Lain or Darren Archibald...

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver

But the main reason is that he's a 26 year old replacement level 4th liner. The Canucks will want to use that contract slot for a younger player with more upside. The 2014 version of Kellan Lain...

Sestito-Lain-Richardson

Some future guys are Cassels, Lain, Mallet, Grenier.

I think Cassels and Grenier will be third liners. Mallet and Lain 4th liners.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

But the main reason is that he's a 26 year old replacement level 4th liner. The Canucks will want to use that contract slot for a younger player with more upside. The 2014 version of Kellan Lain or Darren Archibald...

Yes, that's his QO but players can sign below their QO if they choose to. Tendering a QO only ensures that you retain the RFA rights to that player if they choose not to sign it. The Canucks qualified Rodin so in the case Rodin wants to play in the AHL/NHL he will still be Canuck property until he's 27 or the Canucks trade his rights.

Considering Welsh hasn't lived up to his hyped college expectations there's a possibility he will sign for 600K for 2 years or something. Not really a big deal if he doesn't, but just wanted to point that out.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Dale Weise is a great looking guy but he really hasn't taken that next step as a hockey player.

In all seriousness, what the hell is up with that hair? I thought he had a girlfriend? How can she allow that madness to go on?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Yep. Welsh might not light up Nashville like Weise does but I'd rather have a guy who wants to play every game with integrity than a guy who complains about having to play physical in his role every night.

i think id rather have the better player

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Yes, that's his QO but players can sign below their QO if they choose to. Tendering a QO only ensures that you retain the RFA rights to that player if they choose not to sign it. The Canucks qualified Rodin so in the case Rodin wants to play in the AHL/NHL he will still be Canuck property until he's 27 or the Canucks trade his rights.

Considering Welsh hasn't lived up to his hyped college expectations there's a possibility he will sign for 600K for 2 years or something. Not really a big deal if he doesn't, but just wanted to point that out.

Why wouldn't he just sign his QO and then just earn the $1m guaranteed? No way the Canucks take that risk.

Sure, he can settle for a lesser contract if he so chooses. But without a QO he's a UFA and can sign with any team.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Dale Weise is just occupying a spot. He could easily be replaced with any of our depth guys/prospects and have the same results. If a team is willing to give us a pick for him, why not

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
What I read in this thread:

"I want a retool/reboot/rebuild/relegation/reform but so help me God they better not trade a 4th liner who does adequately performs his job! Keep Weise, ditch Edler/Sedins/Kesler! That's how winning is done!"

So you think moving Weise qualifies as a re-thingy? C'mon ma'am!

Weise is a good fourth liner that isn't a complete black hole on offene. He also isn't going to garner much in return. He's not going to bring back a top 6 player, project or otherwise. He's not going to get a high draft pick--you get a third, okay. But for a 6th, why bother?

Fact is he's one of the three best fourth liners currently in this organisation. Certainly no where near an untouchable player, but he's oodles better than Archibad, who to be blunt kinda sucks at the NHL level and will never be as good a player as Weise currently is. Only reason it makes any sense to dump Weise for the kind of return he's likely to get is because Gillis/Torts don't feel he's in the top 12 if/when Schroeder and Hank come back and they feel he might be a distraction.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
So you think moving Weise qualifies as a re-thingy? C'mon ma'am!

Weise is a good fourth liner that isn't a complete black hole on offene. He also isn't going to garner much in return. He's not going to bring back a top 6 player, project or otherwise. He's not going to get a high draft pick--you get a third, okay. But for a 6th, why bother?

Fact is he's one of the three best fourth liners currently in this organisation. Certainly no where near an untouchable player, but he's oodles better than Archibad, who to be blunt kinda sucks at the NHL level and will never be as good a player as Weise currently is. Only reason it makes any sense to dump Weise for the kind of return he's likely to get is because Gillis/Torts don't feel he's in the top 12 if/when Schroeder and Hank come back and they feel he might be a distraction.

Haha. No, I just find it hilarious that people want big changes but moving a 4th liner is sacrilegious.

He's a very good 4th liner but I'm not a fan of having to sit him to light a fire under his ass. I think he has a higher opinion of his skillset than what reality dictates.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Part of the reason why I would like to keep weise is because a lot of us wanted a good 4rth line for awhile. Canucks have had a lot of really crappy 4rth line players come and go so I don't believe it's really that easy to pick up good 4rth liners... not as easy as one would think anyway.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Don't see the point of moving him for what we'd get for him. Unless someone slips acid into Cheveldayoff's coffee and convinces him Weise is a power forward who could be an important piece in an Evander Kane deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad